Book jam - what you all reading?

Just finished A Game of Thrones and was thankful the ending was a good pause point so I could read the newly-released "The Brothers Cabal" :grin:

Finished the Armstrong book yeaterday. Best vook I've read in a lobg time and definitely going in the "dude" section of
my bookshelf.

Marcus Luttrell - Service
service-marcus-luttrell.jpg

51Hsu-afDaL.jpg

I don't know a lot about the subject, I'm guessing this is a fairly biased history, but it's been a good read. Definitely makes me want to read up on Curtis LeMay.

51Hsu-afDaL.jpg

I don't know a lot about the subject, I'm guessing this is a fairly biased history, but it's been a good read. Definitely makes me want to read up on Curtis LeMay.

Richard Rhodes's books on atomic warfare - especially The Making of the Atomic Bomb and Dark Sun: The Making of the Hydrogen Bomb - should, in an ideal world, be mandatory reading.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy scored an A- in my mind. (Another good one, but that was fucking dark, man...really, really dark. But give credit where it is due. A different kind of read, for sure....and not a series [thank God]).

Try Blood Meridian. Makes The Road look like Rainbow Bright. But it's brilliant. Darkly brilliant.

Blood Meridian is pretty great, need to read that one again.

I'm currently re-reading King's The Stand. I guess all the Ebola panic got me feeling warm and fuzzy about a good ol' apocalyptic plague.

One-by-One-Chris-Carter.jpg

I picked this up for £1 in a charity bin at a local shop. I don't usually do fiction but hell it was a quid and going to charity.

Turns out it was really good. I was expecting it to be in the vein of James Patterson / Dan Brown that I find dumbed down to the point of being patronising but this was actually really well written and put together. Bit like Saw - some nutter is kidnapping people and killing them in horrific ways but he's broadcasting it online and letting people vote on how they die.

It's part of a series so I'm goign to hunt the other ones down.

Also read "The Damned United" whilst in Hamburg which is a fictionalised account of a famous English manager's 44 day stint managing a club he hated before they sacked him. Was pretty good. Will check out the film.

Reading a book on the US Commandos now. It's been written by a journo so hopefully it will skip all the macho showboating bullshit that's usually part and parcel of books written by guys who have actually been in the special forces.

I don't know to whom I post this, but if you interested in literature....I HIGHLY recommend Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey–Maturin_series

A+ and I don't give that out too often. Absolutely excellent.

As a matter of fact, I can't recall another book (series) I would give an A+ to, to be honest.

I have been wondering if the books were any good.....I need something to read so I may give this a shot.

I have been wondering if the books were any good.....I need something to read so I may give this a shot.

One of the few books (any in the series, actually, but start at the beginning) that I have ever read that I can go back and read repeatedly. Absolutely excellent.

I love GIS! I wish I would have found it earlier in my college career than when I was already going down in flames. Might have been a lifesaver, degree-wise.

I actually really like GIS, too. I'm hoping I can make a career of it with the state. But the textbooks are deadly boring, and most people's eyes start to glaze over as soon as they hear the term "spatial analysis" for some crazy reason.

I actually really like GIS, too. I'm hoping I can make a career of it with the state. But the textbooks are deadly boring, and most people's eyes start to glaze over as soon as they hear the term "spatial analysis" for some crazy reason.

I need to dig in to GIS as well. I dabbled with it in the very early 2000's, but we have an in-house GIS group now so I never get to play.

I just added three Nero Wolfe books to my Kindle. I have read them all multiple times, but haven't read these in a while. When you can reread a mystery multiple times because the characters are so entertaining, you have a sign of a good writer.

Back