Book jam - what you all reading?

I'm reading Sleeping Dog: A Leo and Serendipity Mystery by Dick Lochte. It is presented as a blending of two true crime books on the same event. One is from a smart-ass 15 y.o. girl, the other a jaded PI. The idea is that the publisher combined the two books rather than have them compete. So far, I am really enjoying it. Very nicely written with interesting characters.

Finished The Millionaire Next Door.

Started The Operators by Michael Hastings. A guy at work gave it to me last week. Said he thought I'd like it.

Just finished Stephen King's 11-22-63.

As with all of King's stuff it was 100 pages too long, but not bad.

I enjoyed Joyland, which is a slip 2oo-something. I've enjoyed his son's books more, in the past decade, especially his comics. Except for Horns, which fucking sucked, but it's been adapted into film, go figure.

fm10_june-books_most-dangerous-book_ai.jpg

Currently enjoying that.

I enjoyed Joyland, which is a slip 2oo-something. I've enjoyed his son's books more, in the past decade, especially his comics. Except for Horns, which fucking sucked, but it's been adapted into film, go figure.

This was the first Stephen King book I have read in probably 10 years. I don't enjoy his stuff very much, but this one was pretty good.
The only other ones I have read by him that I recall I enjoyed were Thinner and The Stand.

I didn't know his son was also a writer.

I didn't know his son was also a writer.

He's been around for the better part of 10 years, writing under the pseudonym of Joe Hill.

His writing is a lot like his dad's, before he forgot how to finish a novel.

Like I said, try anything except for Horns.

I'm reading three books my counselor recommended...

Recovery: A Guide for Adult Children of Alcoholics
Bradshaw On The Family
The Drama of the Gifted Child

Not exactly thrilling stuff and all slow reads.......but hopefully good for getting my shit back together.....

I Just finished "The Hydrogen Sonata" by Iain Banks. It's the second book I've read by him. Very witty, different from anything I've ever read. First one was "Matter".

I'm reading Greg Bear's "Halo" trilogy right now. I was deep into it before I realized it was based on the video games... :facepalm:

I just picked it up because I like sci-fi and other Greg Bear offerings that I've read. It is pretty good, but so far not my favorite of his.

Reading William Gibson's Idoru. I read Neuromancer years ago and really liked it, and I've been working through the rest of his stuff recently. I picked up that and a Paul Auster novel I haven't started yet at Moe's, an amazing 4 story tall book store over in Berkeley a couple of weekends ago.

I'm reading Greg Bear's "Halo" trilogy right now. I was deep into it before I realized it was based on the video games... :facepalm:

I just picked it up because I like sci-fi and other Greg Bear offerings that I've read. It is pretty good, but so far not my favorite of his.

:lol:

Yeah, Halo is a kinda big deal in the video game world.

The Printed Bengali Character and It’s Evolution by Fiona Ross
Preacher by Garth Ennis

I don't know to whom I post this, but if you interested in literature....I HIGHLY recommend Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey–Maturin_series

A+ and I don't give that out too often. Absolutely excellent.

As a matter of fact, I can't recall another book (series) I would give an A+ to, to be honest.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy scored an A- in my mind. (Another good one, but that was fucking dark, man...really, really dark. But give credit where it is due. A different kind of read, for sure....and not a series [thank God]).

cvr9781471126031_9781471126031_lg.jpg

Extremely cool book charting his early life through, ultimately I'm sure to his sad passing.

I'm up to them just about ready to launch back off from the Moon's surface and the last couple of chapters have been amazing. Almost like fiction in the pictures and imagery they've drawn up and it's all done in layman's terms where you can understand most of the science and physics behind it.

It's takin me a while to get through, it's a bit of a slow read but it's one of the best books I've read in a long time.

I didn't even realise there was a 3rd guy in the Apollo 11 crew who had to stay in orbit. That fascinates me so I think after this I'll hunt down something on Michael Collins to read up on that dude.

Back