Hot or Not? Boinggggg! I love this Takamine

Tiltsta

Show me your frittatas
Staff member
Check out this sucker. I have one of Tak's EF series acoustics in cedar and it is an amazing acoustic.

Takamine EF508KC NEX - Figured Koa
6-string Acoustic-electric Guitar, Figured Koa Top, Figured Koa Back and Sides, Mahogany Neck, Rosewood Fingerboard, and CT4B II Preamp System with 3-band EQ, Volume Control, Tuner, and Pickup- High Gloss

$1399

51030688-angle-large.jpg

51030688-backbody-large.jpg

51030688-front-large.jpg

Wonder why so few manufacturer's put out a true "acoustic" guitar anymore.....

I was looking at getting a Maton, and most of THEIR acoustics are actually acousic/electrics.

I like the look of the koa, but I can't find any verification that it is solid koa (not on Tak's website or any of the vendors'). Pretty plywood is still plywood and dropping $1,400 on plywood is not a goo investment (even if you call it laminate or veneer). Actually it might be a goo investment, but not a gooD investment.

I have the Tak Gecko limited with the Koa back and sides and a spruce top...excellent guitar.

Last edited:
NO. I can't accept the ugliness of the upper bout EQ crap. On ANY "acoustic".
That was me for a good number of years. I now own 2 guitars with such. I succumbed after buying one guitar after another that did not fully please my visual and aural tastes; I decided to go for ones that did, even though they had that dreaded "black box". I now hardly notice it. (I felt the same way about cutaways; those two guitars have them as well. :rolleyes:)

As for this one, I love all but the price, though I am sure it is worth it.

Wonder why so few manufacturer's put out a true "acoustic" guitar anymore.....

I was looking at getting a Maton, and most of THEIR acoustics are actually acousic/electrics.
Probably because so few sound people seem to know how to mic an acoustic anymore. o_O

I guess it is a supply and demand thing. I do see a larger number of acoustic electrics that do not have the black box or cutaways, making them look and feel like pure acoustics but giving the advantage of plugging it in when desired. Martin is one maker doing this.

That's a beauty. I love Koa.
I'm not a fan of cutaways on acoustics. I like the looks of this Taylor, but it is $4K and the fretboard inlays bother me.

1102214133-angle-large.jpg

1102214133-backbody-large.jpg

Gratuitous self-aggrandizing koa guitar pride post (I really love this thing!)

if7st8calee0xyujint5.jpg

This one I know is a koa veneer or a solid spruce top...not much point in covering a solid top with glue and then adding another thin piece of wood on top, even though it is lovely.

This one I know is a koa veneer or a solid spruce top...not much point in covering a solid top with glue and then adding another thin piece of wood on top, even though it is lovely.

Yeah -- it's for looks, but I love the looks! Koa top w/Mahogany body looks very nice. I'd love to have a solid Koa acoustic, but I'd really prefer to support the preservation of the remaining koa forests in Hawaii:

http://www.sierraclubhawaii.com/koa-forest-policy.php

Yeah -- it's for looks, but I love the looks! Koa top w/Mahogany body looks very nice. I'd love to have a solid Koa acoustic, but I'd really prefer to support the preservation of the remaining koa forests in Hawaii:

http://www.sierraclubhawaii.com/koa-forest-policy.php

I agree with the conservationist ideas. I remember piece in Guitar Player probably 20 years ago or so talking to and about a supplier/builder who would gather felled trees/wood from forests. I think he got permissions from the forests and in Canada he would hike through the forest and find and somehow transport the fallen/dead wood. Some of it was rather old and quite dry. I wonder if anyone is doing something similar in forests where koa grows? It's similar to the "dead" ivory thing, but the rangers know about the trees that have fallen, so they know he's not knocking them over and claiming them to be felled.

TANGENT! But yes, koa (especially figured) is arguably the most beautiful wood.

Back