Boils My Piss

Well, I can't really argue with much of that but if that is the case, then the Bible has to be thrown out.

But then again, every branch of Christianity tweaks the things that they want to dwell on.

It just comes down to the fact that I am not willing to believe any hocus pocus about creation. As for the power of an almighty being, people say "it's a miracle" if someone escapes a deadly situation yet millions of people have been slaughtered throughout history ...and that was part of a plan? And any suffering on earth is nothing because the sweet hereafter is eternal and that is what really matters?

Sure.

Once you rid yourself of the illusion of subjectivity, you recognize that there's a lot to be said for genius. Troublesome? Problematic? Who cares!

Christian rock's problem is simply one of a quality issue, one that just cannot be gotten around.

I'm not trying to save anybody's soul, nor anything of the sort.

But the "hater-ade" (gonna have to remember that one) is palpable.

You guys need to take a long a LONG look in the mirror and decide what you're railing against, because it all smacks of BS to me.

You're picking on the lowest common denominator and using that as an example.

I find it kind of offensive, to be honest.

Don't like opera?

Don't listen to it.

I don't get the hate.

Hate "worship music" churches? Don't fucking go.

I don't get it. Really don't.

I would really appreciate if they quit calling it fucking WORSHIP music...it's christian pop rock. They don't own exclusive rights to "worship"...what about the Kiss army (kids in satans service) and all the other satanic bands..they have the right to worship don't they ? If "christians" label their music as "worship" music then what are the others suppossed to call their music :confused:

Well, I can't really argue with much of that but if that is the case, then the Bible has to be thrown out.

But then again, every branch of Christianity tweaks the things that they want to dwell on.

It just comes down to the fact that I am not willing to believe any hocus pocus about creation. As for the power of an almighty being, people say "it's a miracle" if someone escapes a deadly situation yet millions of people have been slaughtered throughout history ...and that was part of a plan? And any suffering on earth is nothing because the sweet hereafter is eternal and that is what really matters?

Sure.

If you think of the Bible as the story about one group of people's attempt to understand a higher power, then you can free yourself of thinking it is a rule book that has to be taken literally. It's partly a story of the Jewish people, a set of myths, a bit of history, and a sometimes contradictory guidebook.

If you look at it that way, it's a useful document that doesn't need to be thrown out (or be elevated into a book of dogma). It's really only in the last few hundred years that a subset of Christianity has insisted it's the literal and infallible Word of God.

Once you rid yourself of the illusion of subjectivity, you recognize that there's a lot to be said for genius. Troublesome? Problematic? Who cares!

Christian rock's problem is simply one of a quality issue, one that just cannot be gotten around.

Well the "rock era" has only had one proper genius, and yet theres been plenty of fine tunes.

Quality is certainly the problem with Christian rock and praise music, and I can't imagine a legitimate genius taking up the rather limiting form.

I suspect the problem is that the cosmology of post-Elvis pop is simply too different from the cosmology of "personal path" feel good fundamentalism to really jive. I mean, both foster a huge amount of self-worship and self-concern, but the inherent paganism of the "rock pantheon" and salvation through teenage feeling is not the same as the modern monotheism of Buddy Christ as cosmic career coach/matchmaker/shame destroyer and the notion of salvation through restraint and right consumer choices.

The best after-rock-and-roll pop music has stakes of some sort...the listener is invited to identify with "the little guy," "the aggrieved," and "the unfairly dumped." And it is the assumption of the right kind of cultural identity that allows for the transcendence of these problems. The fundamentalist worldview of Christian Pop has no stakes, because Christ is always there with answers so long as you surrender--and demonstrate that surrender through right living. Both world views are profoundly sentimental and kinda suggest similar solutions to all of life's problems, but I think the ritualized rebellion of secular pop is a key to how it ticks...and that just don't work in the context of current megachurch Christianity.

In one case, you have to realize everything THEY said was wrong. In the other, everything THEY said was right and you were being a jerk.

On the plus side, both pop music and fundamentalist megachurchism are incredibly anti-intellectual and appeal to tedious 20 somethings who enjoy generating operatic settings for their own petty dramas. Which is, I suspect, why a certain sort of person with a couple tattoos and memories of one wild trip to Cancun might gravitate to the sort of bombastic Coldplay Jesus stuff in the article I posted. Bad taste begets bad taste.

Well the "rock era" has only had one proper genius, and yet theres been plenty of fine tunes.

Quality is certainly the problem with Christian rock and praise music, and I can't imagine a legitimate genius taking up the rather limiting form.

I suspect the problem is that the cosmology of post-Elvis pop is simply too different from the cosmology of "personal path" feel good fundamentalism to really jive. I mean, both foster a huge amount of self-worship and self-concern, but the inherent paganism of the "rock pantheon" and salvation through teenage feeling is not the same as the modern monotheism of Buddy Christ as cosmic career coach/matchmaker/shame destroyer and the notion of salvation through restraint and right consumer choices.

The best after-rock-and-roll pop music has stakes of some sort...the listener is invited to identify with "the little guy," "the aggrieved," and "the unfairly dumped." And it is the assumption of the right kind of cultural identity that allows for the transcendence of these problems. The fundamentalist worldview of Christian Pop has no stakes, because Christ is always there with answers so long as you surrender--and demonstrate that surrender through right living. Both world views are profoundly sentimental and kinda suggest similar solutions to all of life's problems, but I think the ritualized rebellion of secular pop is a key to how it ticks...and that just don't work in the context of current megachurch Christianity.

In one case, you have to realize everything THEY said was wrong. In the other, everything THEY said was right and you were being a jerk.

On the plus side, both pop music and fundamentalist megachurchism are incredibly anti-intellectual and appeal to tedious 20 somethings who enjoy generating operatic settings for their own petty dramas. Which is, I suspect, why a certain sort of person with a couple tattoos and memories of one wild trip to Cancun might gravitate to the sort of bombastic Coldplay Jesus stuff in the article I posted. Bad taste begets bad taste.

I didn't say that I was betting on it, holding my breath, etc.

Im guilty of participating in it as a bassist.
But man those 2nds and 4ths droning on and on bore me to tears.
Not to mention lyrics limited to a doz or so words.
It's not all like that but it seems the more popular versions are.
Gimme some good old Bluegrass Gospel any day.
I played in a Southern Gospel group for a short while subbing for the reg guitarist. You know, 4 part Harmony Oak Ridge Boys, Florida Boys style. That was fun. Made good money too.

If you think of the Bible as the story about one group of people's attempt to understand a higher power, then you can free yourself of thinking it is a rule book that has to be taken literally. It's partly a story of the Jewish people, a set of myths, a bit of history, and a sometimes contradictory guidebook.

If you look at it that way, it's a useful document that doesn't need to be thrown out (or be elevated into a book of dogma). It's really only in the last few hundred years that a subset of Christianity has insisted it's the literal and infallible Word of God.
I'll agree here. I see the Bible as a book(s)/story that is an attempt to teach a much simpler people from a couple thousand years ago about where they came from, God etc.
I don't necessarily actually believe that the Adam and Eve story REALLY happened....it's just a story to scare 2 thousand year old dumbasses into fearing God.

Gutenberg let the cat outta the bag. Made the book interpretable by every Tom Dick an Harry that can halfway string a sentence together.
Progress always comes at a price, cause people are people.

Back