Blues driver pedals

SVH917

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Yeah yeah this may seem out of place for me. But I'm asking for opinions on a blues driver pedal.

Blues driver type pedals are perfect for bumping an amp set up for an AC DC sound into an Eddie Van Halen sound. Save yourself some cash and get a bad monkey. It's literally as good as any of them.

The BD2 is interesting in that it sounds very much like a flat mids tubescreamer, but has a very different circuit. I agree with Tele, find yourself an overdrive without the mid honk and be done with it.

I enjoyed the Blues Driver as my main overdrive sound for over a decade. I still like it a lot, but as I changed amps, my pedal needs changed too.

I haven't tried the Bad Monkey, so I can't comment. But I do tend to trust tele and HIAR when it comes to gear suggestions.

Well...thanks anyway...:Wave:

Tomorrow is the OMG HORSIE/Super Duper shootout. I get to play my amp with my board in a room at rehearsal volumes. I'm bringing both. I have liked the OMG HORSIE for it's boosting capabilities. But I like the buffering and distortion of the Super Duper better. There's only room for one (the slot will be taken by either the EHX Freeze or Z-Vex LoFi Loop Junky).

Well, you know what I'm rooting for...:grin:

BTW...you gonna start a spring training thread? I would but you are way more obsessed than I am...although I did catch a couple innings this afternoon...

Does that help mitigate the dreaded mid hump?

It gives more flexibility but it doesn't really change the character, if that makes any sense. If you don't like the character of a TS (too dark or whatever), I don't think a Bad Monkey is the solution.

I have a Bad Monkey and I can see why some people really, really like it. Honestly, though, my favorite pedal for that barely-breaking-up sound is my Marshall Jackhammer. Both the TS and Bad Monkey start with too much grit for me and they seem to kill the treble when I try to get cleaner. The Jackhammer is less distorted and more transparent.

Back