Blackstar HT5 Head & Fender Super Champ X2

Woody_in_MN

Coptic Orthodox Deacon
For logic that escapes me, I am craving a HT5 . Head version is best cause I can squirrel a headd away pretty easily. However I already have Fender Super Champ X2 head and that has kept me from pulling the trigger on a Blackstar. Is anyone out there familiar with both heads? The HT5 sounds fantastic, but the SCXD2 has 4 or 5 high gain voices, and I played around with them this afternoon - and I must say I especially like the 6505 voice, and the Super Sonic voices. The SCXD2 also has a couple AC30 voices and they sound pretty good at higher volumes. Does the SCXD2 give me 90% of what the HT5 would? If so I should "love the one I'm with".

Thoughts?

- The Wood Man

I wasn't familiar with the Super Champ x2, so I went to youtube.

I kinda like that amp! I'd say the Super Champ can do anything the Blackstar can do based on that video and my very limited time playing thru an HT-5 at a guitar store.

I had an HT-5 for a while. They’re very meh. The whole point is to be a low-volume amp, but I always though it sounded like shit unless the volume was up high enough that I could have just bought a bigger amp. For a while it was popular because you could combine it with a Bad Monkey and have the poor man’s rectifier. But other options have come along.

Also, the Bugera G5 knockoff costs $150 less and has a built-in power scaling to run it a 1 or .1 watts.

I had the HT5h and the Super Champ. The Super Champ by far sounds better. I also had the new Bugera G5 as a low power option. Those low powered Bugeras don't sound good to me. If you like higher gain tones, look into the Blackstar Metal series. YMMV

X - interesting. Thanks for stopping by. Your post has a lot of value for me since you had all three at different times. Did you try swapping tubes in the G5? Or just not your tone?

Watching some of the Bugera G5 videos on youtube, most of them have a pedal in front of it, like the Tubescreamer. I still haven't seen a good one that is just the guitar & amp, no pedal.

Don't have any experience with the Blackstar amp, though I do have an HT Dual pedal that doesn't get anywhere near the high gain I though it would.
I have a Super Champ, though. And it gets every sound I can think of. I love it!

I have a small Blackstar (HT1) and find that it has lots and lots of potential for dirt, but there really isn't a lot of room in the clean department. Therefore, if you're using it for distorted toanz, I can wholeheartedly endorse Blackstar, but for cleans, not so much.

Not enough tubes in the Blackstar (1 pre and 1 power). For a small sensibly priced head I'd get one of the Orange terrors instead.

X - interesting. Thanks for stopping by. Your post has a lot of value for me since you had all three at different times. Did you try swapping tubes in the G5? Or just not your tone?

I didn't bother with a tube swap. Just not my tone. I found it kinda sterile. I am liking the Marshall I just bought. Maybe look at the DSL15h. Lot's of gain on tap and it's switchable to 5 watts I think.

Back