Bizarre Foods with Tude

fathers last wife was chinese. One of her favorites was the cheek of the fish.

I never knew fish had cheeks.

One of my very favorite foods, in the "special treat" department - and I've never known them to be popular anywhere outside of Newfoundland - are pan-fried cod tongues.

pd2019853.jpg

Delicious delicious.

Out of curiosity, would you consider that to be a "bizarre food"?

Maybe a little bit bizarre, but i'd eat it.

One of my very favorite foods, in the "special treat" department - and I've never known them to be popular anywhere outside of Newfoundland - are pan-fried cod tongues.

pd2019853.jpg

Delicious delicious.

Cod tongue has been quite popular for ages in Norway, especially the northern region of the country. It's quite good :)
We'd normally cook it in the oven (or stove as you'd call it) though.

Cod tongue has been quite popular for ages in Norway, especially the northern region of the country. It's quite good :)
We'd normally cook it in the oven (or stove as you'd call it) though.

We call it an oven over here too.

The stove is the thing with burners on it. Lots of them have ovens below the stovetop surface, but it's still an oven.

We call it an oven over here too.

The stove is the thing with burners on it. Lots of them have ovens below the stovetop surface, but it's still an oven.

Yep. We put stuff ON the stove, and IN the oven.

Yep. We put stuff ON the stove, and IN the oven.

Makes sense.
IIRC it might be the brits who are a bit backwards about that naming thing.
I know I've come across that somewhere :embarrassed:

Oh, and I would NOT eat that balut thingie. :eek:

And that's from one who's tried Smalahove (sheep's head). :grin:

Probably the most interesting thing I've eaten was fried rattlesnake (which was delicious btw)...I obviously lose to all of you. :embarrassed:

pd2019853.jpg

Delicious delicious.

I'd eat that no problem. Looks good. Jake's rattlesnake too. And DI's sheephead (as long as it was cooked). My wife cooked me up some salmon sperm once - I think it's called seishi (精子) in Japanese, that was good too. But that chicken/Egor/balut you can keep. I can't even eat a normal raw egg and I love eggs.

There probably are not many things I would not try - but generally it is a good idea to let me try it before telling me what it actually is.

And I have had fried rattlesnake as well - and it was pretty tasty.

But the egg thing - no - no thank you.

The same for Rocky Mountain Oysters. I won't eat them. I know they taste good, but it is the principle of the thing (they are fried bull/buffalo balls for those who don't know).

There probably are not many things I would not try - but generally it is a good idea to let me try it before telling me what it actually is.

And I have had fried rattlesnake as well - and it was pretty tasty.

But the egg thing - no - no thank you.

The same for Rocky Mountain Oysters. I won't eat them. I know they taste good, but it is the principle of the thing (they are fried bull/buffalo balls for those who don't know).

I had those at some place in Scottsdale AZ one time. No big deal, actually tasted like hot dogs with batter, which says a lot about hot dogs i guess.

I had those at some place in Scottsdale AZ one time. No big deal, actually tasted like hot dogs with batter, which says a lot about hot dogs i guess.

If a lot of people knew how some hot dogs/sausages were made, and what's in them, a lot less people would eat them. Really :embarrassed:

I've never been to Norway, sadly... but I'm kinda torn over the question of whether or not it's the kind of place I'd like to live.

It looks good to me on paper, but the way I've seen some people talk about it online - take Yngtchie, for example - it can sound like a bit of a shit-hole.

You guys make terrific jazz, though. :love:

I've never been to Norway, sadly... but I'm kinda torn over the question of whether or not it's the kind of place I'd like to live.

It looks good to me on paper, but the way I've seen some people talk about it online - take Yngtchie, for example - it can sound like a bit of a shit-hole.

Beautiful and expensive......

It's a bit better down in my parts really - more people, shorter distances to the bigger cities where things happen and such, and weather's not that extreme.

You could in a way compare Yngtchie's whereabouts to living in Alaska - remote, in some cases isolated, fewer people, less things happening (concerts, gig opportunities++). Then again, most of those can be a good thing, depending on the person.

Another really good thing about living way up north is work opportunities and lower income tax (something the government introduced to revert centralisation). It doesn't hurt that our country has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the world either :wink:
If one loves outdoor activities, can handle extremely cold temparatures and not seeing the sun for a few months each winter, northern Norway is a great place to live. I spent a year up there (a bit further south from where Yngtchie lives) while in the military, and I very much liked it there :)

Back