On today's program, I eat Balut.

Yes, you read that correctly.

Innocent looking egg.

2m3p4yb.jpg

Cracked it open.

jb205s.jpg

Sucked the juices out.

2qbr4b4.jpg

Ate all the edible parts. The white stuff at the bottom isn't supposed to be eaten.

2n7hav8.jpg

Second egg.

23uo7yv.jpg

This one had a face. It took me a minute to psych myself up for it.

2vahwmg.jpg

Honestly, balut really isn't bad. I'd eat it again. It's kind of like a boiled egg with a little poultry flavoring.

I went with my friend to celebrate the opening of a new Laos Temple in Columbus. Here's some pictures of the temple. It's pretty small but really neat. Not something you expect to see in central Ohio.

211m1km.jpg

15y9a88.jpg

2uh97ab.jpg

(as you can probably tell, I figured out how to get pics off my phone today. :embarrassed:)

Last edited:
Yeah.

It would take a WHOLE lotta Hot Sauce for me to consider eating that. With no spices, sauces, toppings, or whatnot..... PASS. :messedup:

It's actually eaten with a special hot sauce. I tried the first bite with the sauce but I ate it plain after that. It was really spicy and I figure if I'm going to eat it, I want to taste it.

My wife used to work with a girl who was Fillipino and she loved that stuff. I dont know if I could do it. Seriously. Was it better than that durian fruit at least? :tongue:

YAY TUDE!

Good for you. I have had those plenty of times, actually purchased them and had 'em in my fridge. hahaha.

I like them to, it actually tastes pretty darn good.

My wife used to work with a girl who was Fillipino and she loved that stuff. I dont know if I could do it. Seriously. Was it better than that durian fruit at least? :tongue:

Yes. I would eat balut again. I will never, ever, ever eat durian again as long as I live.

I might go back to the festival today and I imagine I'll be forced to eat some balut again. I had some other interesting things.

I had some sausage which consists of raw pork and pork rind that has been fermented. It was okay. Just tasted like fermented meat really. Didn't love it.

Had various pouches of sticky rice and other ingredients. Sticky rice, bean and banana. Sticky rice and beef. Etc.

The best thing I had yesterday were these little pastry thingies. If you've ever watched Bizarre Foods you've probably seem him eat Takoyaki. They're little balls of really runny dough, filled with octopus and cooked in these grills covered in little hemisphere holes. They constantly turn them while they cook and they make little balls of cooked dough. It wasn't takoyaki but it was similar. It was slightly sweet but it had little pieces of green onion in it. Sweet and onion don't sound like good bed-fellows but they were delicious.

Here's some takoyaki being made.

Last edited by a moderator:
How are you anyway? Getting you to post anymore is like pulling teeth :mad:

I'm good. It's hard to post. I don't have ANY internet access at work and even though I'm on first shift for a few weeks, I still find it hard to find time to post at home. I do check in on you guys though. Don't think for one minute I'm not keeping up.

I've been to Thailand, The Philippines, Singapore, and Hong Kong. Balut could be found in any of those countries and I never had the nerve to eat it.

It was on every street corner in the Philippines. messedup0

My boss is Indonesian and his Niece, Nephew and Wife all work there, and they were all raised in Indonesia. Every week they bring in this weeiirdd crap into work and force me to try it. Even Asian marshmallow's are screwed up. messedup0

My step mom makes these spring rolls and some other Asian food often though, which are flipping awesome. drool0

The GF got me to try it fhe first time, and i actually do like it.

Its funny how we will eat either the embryo or the adult but get squeamish in the in between stage. :biggrin:

My boss is Indonesian and his Niece, Nephew and Wife all work there, and they were all raised in Indonesia. Every week they bring in this weeiirdd crap into work and force me to try it. Even Asian marshmallow's are screwed up. messedup0

My step mom makes these spring rolls and some other Asian food often though, which are flipping awesome. drool0
Have you had the marshmallows with the jelly inside? I like grape. :embarrassed:

Back