Question: bit of website market research

jbj

Poor old Geordie's array...
How do gents. I've been having a bit of a mess around with the feedback page on my website and was wondering if any of you twats would be kind enough to have a look at it and let me know your thoughts both overall and on the questions I'm going to post below this (don't read them before you've checked it out so you're not focussing on the things I'm considering with the design.)

The link is: https://www.scotlandspartydj.com/testimonials

Have a wee look and let me know your thoughts and if you could answer the questions that would be fab.

Thanks in advance :thu:

1. Is it effective as a testimonial page?

2. Are the moving images at the top box a positive, negative or did they not impact your decision?

3. Does the box with the images and snippets of text at the top add anything to the page or does it get in the way?

4. Did you realise there were text only testimonials below the box?

5. Did you read the text at the top of the page, do you think it serves any purpose?

I quoted your post and edited my answers into your original text box. So my answers to the questions are located within the quote...sorry, I was lazy.

How do gents. I've been having a bit of a mess around with the feedback page on my website and was wondering if any of you twats would be kind enough to have a look at it and let me know your thoughts both overall and on the questions I'm going to post below this (don't read them before you've checked it out so you're not focussing on the things I'm considering with the design.)

The link is: https://www.scotlandspartydj.com/testimonials

Have a wee look and let me know your thoughts and if you could answer the questions that would be fab.

Thanks in advance :thu:

I think it's important to have this type of page on your site.
However, imo there are way too many testimonials. After about a half dozen or so, I'm done with them.

2. Are the moving images at the top box a positive, negative or did they not impact your decision?

I think that it add a professional touch, however the images are changing too fast.

3. Does the box with the images and snippets of text at the top add anything to the page or does it get in the way?

Like I said, it looks pro but it's too busy.

Yes, in fact I paid more attention to these than the box. But my interest faded after a half dozen testimonials.

5. Did you read the text at the top of the page, do you think it serves any purpose?

Yes I read it.
I think there is a lot of good info there. My suggestion would be to condense it down to the basics.

Yes, very much so...

They were a positive influence...the present a fuller picture of the occasion being testified to...

To me, it is a more effective medium than the text only testimonials below it...you may want to put more emphasis on this than the text only below...

Yes...but as I stated I think the moving images present a better medium for testimonials than just bare text...

Yes, I read it...

I feel like much of what you said there would be, and is, better said other places on the site such as the "about" page...on a testimonial page perhaps it is a bit self serving talking yourself up before you present the other opinions...

I don't think you need to eliminate it, but maybe throttle it back a little bit and present it as more of a "here is what my clients say about the experience I strive to present for each and every occasion"...move the mission statement and the bit about bad/good/excellent DJs somewhere else...

Thanks for the feedback guys it's much appreciated.

Skimmed down a bit of the blurb

Slowed down the slides too - my big issue is they can only be a certain size of file so the length is limited and some of them skip back to the start and repeat (you can just see it happening on some of them now I've let them run longer) - I thought it was a bit fast before too but I'm not sure I like it jumping back to the start either - thoughts?

As for the amount of testimonials - yeah after a while it just becomes static but it's something clients comment on a lot in comparison to other guys who maybe stick down half a dozen testimonials and leave it - this shows that I'm experienced, busy and doing pretty much nothing but high end weddings. It's the same with my brothers website - they dig the fact they can see how busy / popular he is so the point isn't really for people to read everything there - it's marketing by stealth :grin:

Maybe post a handful of testimonials but include a link to another page if somebody is interested in further reading?

\
As for the amount of testimonials - yeah after a while it just becomes static but it's something clients comment on a lot in comparison to other guys who maybe stick down half a dozen testimonials and leave it - this shows that I'm experienced, busy and doing pretty much nothing but high end weddings. It's the same with my brothers website - they dig the fact they can see how busy / popular he is so the point isn't really for people to read everything there - it's marketing by stealth :grin:

I think that the amount of detail in the testimonials is a good thing.

Maybe post a handful of testimonials but include a link to another page if somebody is interested in further reading?

That would just create another testimonial page and give me a worse bounce rate for the initial page... less clicks + more time on specific pages = better for the SEO.

Ideally I'd be able to fit everyone's full feedback in the window but some of them have just too much info plus it takes a good chunk of time to update the window gig per gig so the idea now is to leave it as is without dates on the slides as they give a decent range of brief feedback and different types of video shot.

I think that the amount of detail in the testimonials is a good thing.

Yeah it's just a shame I can't fit the full stuff on the slides - there's some really touching bits of feedback that would be great to have up there.

Even though it is screeds of text and people might go "uh I'm not reading all of that," it's not inherently bad having so much feedback you can't even get through it all :shrug:

OK new question:

I have specific venue pages - the intent being someone googles - wedding DJ, St Andrews Old Course (for example) and I'll pop up high up the search results.

The next idea I have is to incorporate feedback on these venue pages from gigs I've done there e.g. someone clicks on The Cruin page - it opens up with my little blurb on the venue and videos / photos and then a short feedback quote from a gig there.

It will take me hours to do this for all of them so do you guys think that would be beneficial or a waste of time? I've done a mock up:

Original:
https://www.scotlandspartydj.com/the-cruin

New design:
https://www.scotlandspartydj.com/copy-of-the-cruin

I think whatever gets your name to "pop" is worth the work to get it up and running.
Maybe you could somehow make a template and then just need to input small pieces of info/video to get it up for each new venue.

I think whatever gets your name to "pop" is worth the work to get it up and running.
Maybe you could somehow make a template and then just need to input small pieces of info/video to get it up for each new venue.

I've already done that - the venue pages are already in place with photos, videos and a small blurb about each place - I'm just wondering whether putting snippets of feedback from bookings on the venue pages is worth it or not - even though it's just c&ping in text - it'll be over 100 venues to do it with.

I see...it would be a lot of work.
Do you think it would set you apart form your competitors?
Maybe you don't need to to put the snippets on EVERY venue page. Maybe start with the 10 most popular and only put one testimonial each.

I see...it would be a lot of work.
Do you think it would set you apart form your competitors?
Maybe you don't need to to put the snippets on EVERY venue page. Maybe start with the 10 most popular and only put one testimonial each.

Truth be told, the whole website sets me apart - my brothers is really unique too and pops. Everyone else even at our side of the industry which is higher end just has very bog standard wix scrolling template type deal which looks OK but doesn't stand out from anyone else whereas ours do.

I think think the little testimonial snippets on a venue page would be good for people who google and then land directly on that page but adding more text could be off putting for people looking at it :shrug:

I wandered through your site a bit yesterday...it is very good!

Thanks man.

It's the first website I've ever built and I'm very proud of it.

It's done on Wix too but I spent probably 6-12 months fleshing out ideas for it before starting it. I even get compliments on the fonts I use so the prep has paid off.

I update it all the time to improve the SEO (hence why there's 2 totally superfluous top 10 lists on the home page :grin: ) and it's largely optimised to minimise the work for me - I have everything ready for next Saturdays wedding to go live save for the Youtube video to be linked to it. I'll be home at 1am and it'll be updated and live by 2:30am :grin:

My brothers is great to. He built his from scratch using yahoo site builder: www.5stardiscos.com

Most folk just grab a wix "music" or "entertainment" template and throw in some pictures so they all end up looking similar and then they leave them so their SEO is rubbish.

Several years ago my wife and I had a DJ business for a couple seasons. Our website looked like shit compared to yours!!!

Several years ago my wife and I had a DJ business for a couple seasons. Our website looked like shit compared to yours!!!

Yeah but I bet you didn't sink days if not weeks of your life into creating and maintaining it :grin:

My brother has just suggested for the venue pages I do:

Short testimonial - then videos and pics - then text which I actually thinks make the most since.

So that's 2 changes I need to make to all of those pages :grin: :embarrassed:

Back