Billy Bragg on Skiffle, bringing guitar to Britain.

I'd like to check out that book. I feel that skiffle is closely related to the jug band revival in America in the 60s. It is certainly an important ingredient in the music of the British Invasion. I heard part of the interview and was impressed.

Heard that story the other day, too. It was really interesting.

Looking forward to the skiffle/jug band revival coming soon.

Heard that story the other day, too. It was really interesting.

Looking forward to the skiffle/jug band revival coming soon.
There is still a jug band community around, and jug bands releasing albums. A few years ago I wrote some album reviews for a (I believe now defunct) jug band forum/website.

Here is a copy of one of the reviews I did.

Jugs Across America Review by Gary Blanchard at Jugbandhangout.com

After the original jug band era in the late 1920's and early 1930's, there was a revival period in the 1960's that featured groups like Jim Kweskin's Jug Band, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Even Dozen Jug Band, and Mother Macree's Uptown Jug Champions. This CD is proof that we are in the midst of another jug band revival and that revival is in good hands.

One of the first things that struck me was the variety of musical styles presented here. Groups like Fritz Richmond's Barbecue Orchestra, The Jim Kweskin Band, Escape the Floodwater Jug Band and others are great examples of the jug band revival sound. Groups like the Carolina Chocolate Drops, Ramblin Jug Stompers, and Andalusia Jug Band have an old-timey, string band sound. The Jugadelics are rather bluesy while the Jugtown Pirates of Lake Champlain blend bluegrass and rock.

The second thing I found on the CD was the caliber of musicianship represented. There is some great banjo and fiddle playing on many cuts. The jug work on the Fritz Richmond cut is terrific. The Wahoo Skiffle Band offers great instrumentation along with some interesting lyrical updates on Which Side Are You On? There are great vocals on many cuts, along with some of the usual raucous vocals that are a hallmark of many of the revival bands.

Another great feature of this CD is the variety of music. There are some of the jug band standards as well as some great originals. The Quake City Jug Band's Lunch With Jesus would probably have the fundamentalists up in arms (but, then again, what wouldn't?) but is a fun listen. The Juggernaut Jug Band's You Mean We Get Paid For This? Is another great new song in the jug band tradition. The Blue Ribbon Jug Band's version of Old Home Place moves from the Bluegrass of Kentucky to the streets of 1920's Memphis and works well in the process. Banjorama's Leave Them Jugs Alone has that great chord progression found in songs like Keep On Truckin' and fun lyrics.

Banjo Kellie and Whiskey For Breakfast Records are to be commended for putting together an entertaining and informative snapshot of the modern jug band scene. If you are a jug band fanatic or if you are a novice looking to discover that great music that is called jug band music, this disc is a must have!

Back