Bill Frisell at the Kennedy Center

Guitar Heel

Demented Trick
Last night I was fortunate to have front row seats to see the newest of my guitar heroes. He was performing his original score to the documentary The Great Flood. The film was fascinating, and his playing was impeccable. The tone was just insane. In-sane. I was about 15 feet away from brilliance. He played a Tele the entire evening. Couldn't see the amp, as they had large monitors at their feet so they could see where they were in the film, but I'm hoping it was his Carr Sportsman just because. He didn't use much dirt, but when he did it was a wonderful transparent overdrive. Klonish. Tons of modulation, and all very tasteful. His full band was there, save for the pedal steel player who was replaced with a magnificent trumpet player.

:thu:

Here's the blurb:

The Guitarist Bill Frisell and his quartet perform original compositions while accompanying the documentary film The Great Flood by Bill Morrison. Through historic black and white images with captions, the documentary chronicles the largest flood in U.S. history, which took place in the spring of 1927; the subsequent migration of sharecroppers from the Mississippi Delta northward; and the influence of these events on the musical development of the blues, gospel, rock ‘n' roll, and R&B. The New York Times says, "It's hard to find a more fruitful meditation on American music than in the compositions of guitarist Bill Frisell."

Last edited:
Bill and Nels are buddies so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Klon. I bet his Tele had a Mastery Bridge on it too.

His amps are almost almost stock Fender Deluxe Reverbs or vintage Gibsons.

The trumpet player was probably Ron Miles.

Glad you enjoyed the show.

Back