Big Boy Is On The Road Again

I was hoping for this
tmg-article_tall;jpeg_quality=20.jpg

It’s official! My best friend is going to Arkansas with me to chase Big Boy. I have made hotel reservations at the Holiday Inn Express for 1 night in Caddo Valley, which is close to Arkadelphia, North Little Rock for 2 nights, & 1 night in Van Buren. That will give us time to chase Big Boy & also time to see it arrive & depart from 2 locations.
So, thank you so much for bringing this historic train to my attention on the first leg of the tour. I couldn’t make it to that, but I’m in on the second leg!

It’s official! My best friend is going to Arkansas with me to chase Big Boy. I have made hotel reservations at the Holiday Inn Express for 1 night in Caddo Valley, which is close to Arkadelphia, North Little Rock for 2 nights, & 1 night in Van Buren. That will give us time to chase Big Boy & also time to see it arrive & depart from 2 locations.
So, thank you so much for bringing this historic train to my attention on the first leg of the tour. I couldn’t make it to that, but I’m in on the second leg!

Have a good trip. As a train chaser myself, if you are able to.... scout out some photo locations in advance. Don't rely on GPS, rather use google earth. There's lots to consider if you want some good shots. If at all possible, you will want the sun behind you Get a radio scanner! You an get the radio frequencies for the UP on the net.... that will help you find out if the train is coming in 5 minutes or 5 hours.

Reactions: CST
BTW, if you see it somewhere where they have a official open to the public stop they have some great merch.

Reactions: CST
Big Boy came through Houston two weeks ago, but I wasn't able to get out and see it. I was busy with my own lesson in the power of steam when the hot water heater in the attic exploded.

Big Boy came through Houston two weeks ago, but I wasn't able to get out and see it. I was busy with my own lesson in the power of steam when the hot water heater in the attic exploded.

Sounds like mojo might be in order.
:eek:
Really exploded, or just water everywhere?

I'm glad both of ours are in the garage.

Sounds like mojo might be in order.
:eek:
Really exploded, or just water everywhere?

I'm glad both of ours are in the garage.
The relief valve had failed, and the pressure blew out a large bolt at the top of the tank. The top was actually bowed up and lumpy like a muffin. (Not really sure what that bolt was for -- alternate inlet/outlet I guess?) So not exactly a full-blown "rocket through the roof" explosion, but the water heater was toast. And yes, water everywhere -- in the bathroom on the second floor and into the kitchen beneath that. (There's a preamble to this story that involves a leak between the meter and the house, and the plumbers turning the water on and off and on and off to find said leak, which triggered the heater disaster.)

Yeah, the attic is a stupid place for a water heater. But pretty much everything about my townhouse is stupid. Designed and built by morons. Every home project is an adventure and a lesson in how not to do stuff.

Back