Big Black Bear in my Yard...

Psychotronic

Bored Silly
So, I took a break to go for a run a few hours ago. Step out my front door, and I see a giant black bear crossing my neighbors yard into mine. We see them every so often, but this guy was enormous as far as black bears go. Here's the video:

The strange thing is that not a single dog in my neighborhood ever makes a peep when bears come through. From the smallest yappy-type dog to the Rottweiler next door, they all know their place in the natural order, I guess.

zO9tGy6.gif

HA! No, I live a mere 40 miles from NYC. It's not like I'm in West Virginia or something (kidding, Prages and Mrs. P!).

Damn, he's a big one...we have one up here in bloomingburg, but he's not quite as big...

Did you notify animal control? There's not much they can do, but they should know he's there...

So, I took a break to go for a run a few hours ago. Step out my front door, and I see a giant black bear crossing my neighbors yard into mine. We see them every so often, but this guy was enormous as far as black bears go. Here's the video:

The strange thing is that not a single dog in my neighborhood ever makes a peep when bears come through. From the smallest yappy-type dog to the Rottweiler next door, they all know their place in the natural order, I guess.

I've noticed that about dogs, too, and I also thought it was kind of weird.
I was tooling down Skyline Drive with my German Shepherd in the front seat. There was a bear picking some roadkill in the road. I stopped not 10 feet from it with the window down. It was a snorty, nasty little thing. I was close enough to see his claws.....The dog just stared at it, and that was VERY unlike her.

Bears are pretty lazy animals.
They'll avoid you and even if you start shit with them, they'd rather run than deal with you.

That being said, though.......you don't want to piss it off, because it is most certainly capable of crushing your head in one blow.

What you DON'T want to do is surprise one, especially a Momma with cubs.

That would be bad, very bad.

Cool video, Psychotronic. What did Animal Control tell you, keep your trash cans locked up?

that's pretty cool.....but it doesn't look THAT big......350 maybe 400.......the ones up around the hunting camp go 600 to 750.....THOSE are giant.

here's my size 9½ boot next to one of the paw prints behind the camp.
4006099305_3cf17f7bb5_o.jpg

3 years ago someone got one at 745 and the next season one at 820 something.

but it's still pretty cool to see them, whatever the size.

that's pretty cool.....but it doesn't look THAT big......350 maybe 400.......the ones up around the hunting camp go 600 to 750.....THOSE are giant.

here's my size 9½ boot next to one of the paw prints behind the camp.
4006099305_3cf17f7bb5_o.jpg

3 years ago someone got one at 745 and the next season one at 820 something.

but it's still pretty cool to see them, whatever the size.

That's pretty amazing. The biggest black bear I've ever seen is maybe 450 lbs.

That's pretty amazing. The biggest black bear I've ever seen is maybe 450 lbs.

check the records.....the black bears in the Allegheny National Forest area and the Pocono Mountains are the biggest this side of Alaska. no one knows exactly why, but it's true. year before last, one was taken in northeastern Pa at over 800 lbs, and the year before in the mid 700's. look it up, if you want....it's a fact.

the ANF has recorded many in the 600 plus range, since the 70's.

check the records.....the black bears in the Allegheny National Forest area and the Pocono Mountains are the biggest this side of Alaska. no one knows exactly why, but it's true. year before last, one was taken in northeastern Pa at over 800 lbs, and the year before in the mid 700's. look it up, if you want....it's a fact.

the ANF has recorded many in the 600 plus range, since the 70's.

It's widely acknowledged that the Pocono bears are extremely adept at dumpster diving and have diabetic/obese tendencies.

Back