Bicycle hate. I don't get it. Par Deaux.

el diablo

I'll take an A for $1000, Alex.
In my idyllic burg of Rancho Mirage, we have nice bike lanes on most of our major streets that need them, and I have never seen a problem with bikers clogging the streets other than during our once a year event. In fact, most of our towns here in SoCal are quite bike friendly as is reasonable. Keep in mind that most bike paths are just painted paths, not taking into account any hazards like bad surfaces, grates or bumps, etc. I have one place in my usual ride that I have to steer into the regular lane due to a glob of tar. How do I know it? From getting a bone jarring bounce when I hit it.

I had to actually yell at realtor who left the door to his Land Rover OPEN on a tight street curve. Fucking stupid people.

Cyclists don't want to rule the street, we just want safety in the little 20 square foot bubble we ride in.

Reactions: Tig
I don't hate bicyclists.

Some of the roads I see them "bunch together" on make me fear for their safety, and being surprised by rounding a blind curve on a back road at 35mph and suddenly coming across a group of them has scared the shit out of both me and them (I'm sure), but the roads aren't just for cars.....

Who hates bicyclists?

I don't hate bicyclists.

Some of the roads I see them "bunch together" on make me fear for their safety, and being surprised by rounding a blind curve on a back road at 35mph and suddenly coming across a group of them has scared the shit out of both me and them (I'm sure), but the roads aren't just for cars.....

Who hates bicyclists?
Reading the last thread on the subject that got shut down should give you some idea...:rolleyes: o_O

"Bunching together" vs riding solo. Most recreational cyclists that ride for fitness and beyond ride 3 to 5 times a week. While riding solo is important for strength (you do all the work without the huge benefit of drafting), most people need a little motivation to ride more than 40, 50 or 100 miles. In addition to the drafting benefit, riding with a group increases your speed and distance, plus is much safer than by yourself. There is also the comradarie of friends that will help you with a flat or in courage you to keep going.

A group becomes vehicle sized. A solo rider is less visible and more vulnerable. Drivers are more likely to turn into them, pull out in front of, or just plain hit them compared to a group. Road rage idiots have a long history of harassing a lone rider. That's why I carry a pepper gel can. People are assholes when hiding behind a windshield and 4000 pounds of car or truck.

It's a conflict no matter who puts on the loving human being act of accepting all and sharing their space with them. I don't buy it. You get a bunch of weekend warrior Freds out there all bunched up as a group (and individually inside their rainbow speedos) and let's face it; the minute that happens air headed camaraderie displaces common sense with stupidity. There is no other explanation. Actually, it's inexplicable. A motor vehicle and a bicycle can most definitely share the road. No problem. I ride myself but I ride alone, just as I do on a motorcycle, because there's always that dumbass who wants to ride abreast instead of in tandem at 100 feet leading or lagging. I've come to keep my hobby a secret from those who know me. It avoids the eventuality of a request to ride together, which no matter how tactfully and graciously I decline, it begets some degree of butt hurt.

A car cannot share the road with a 2-3 abreast wiggling, waggling, gaggling mass of peddlers. It has to yield the road to them until it can safely pass. If they observed a tandem rule and spaced themselves with safe emergency maneuvering distances, as a norm, then there would never be an argument against them. But, because they do bunch up and do so as a rule rather than as a rarity, they've gotten what they've asked for in the form of contempt from motorists. It isn't just a few dumbasses doing it. It's a routine occurrence that should elicit new traffic laws minimally issuing wreckless driving citations to peddlers who ride 2-abreast on a roadway, with another requiring local permitting for mass rides not unlike mass public rallies are required to.

So, I guess that might be the kind of response the last thread that got shut down had in it? I don't know. I didn't read it. Common sense has been losing common ground rapidly in this world as the me-generation goes global, all the while social fabrics lose their all-so-important common threads to violent separatists. It starts at the personal convenience level where people all want their selfish interests to have freedoms over the common good.

Wake up.

norman-bike-riding-dog.png

I've done about three months of touring in the past three years. Assholes are outliers, ime. Idiots are more common. Both are mostly avoidable if you keep your head up.

love to cycle.I have been doing it for the past decade or so. I quite often commute to work. I'm not one of those dudes though with tight fitted clothing and going as fast as I can. I just enjoy the freeness of it...

I can agree though that a group would be much safer. I took a tumble about 3 years ago. I hit a culvert while one hand was off of the grip and I hit the sidewalk. If I had gone in the other direction I would have went down in traffic.

39117_1375444941880_404309_n.jpg

It's actually a beautiful Saturday here today and I'm gonna drag the girlfriends ass out to do a little cycling. I ride a Trek 7.3 and she rides an old shwinn of mine...

Img_1508.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

As Freddie Mercury once sang...

I like to ride my bicycle
I like to ride my bike....

Last edited:
I've done about three months of touring in the past three years. Assholes are outliers, ime. Idiots are more common. Both are mostly avoidable if you keep your head up.
Cool...Touring is something I've thought about doing once I retire. I've talked to a couple of people that have toured alone and I think I'd prefer to do it with one other person....I love the notion though...

Two abreast is legal in many, if not most states.
http://www.griessmeyerlaw.com/legal-ride-two-abreast-bike-wisconsin
http://bikeportland.org/2011/06/07/bike-law-101-riding-two-abreast-54334
http://bikeaccidentattorneysblog.co...side-as-cyclists-legal-or-illegal-it-depends/ (this lawyer notes only 3 states where it is not legal for two abreast). (He also notes there is some reasonableness required in many states if traffic is being impeded).
http://itd.idaho.gov/bike_ped/Idaho_Vehicle_Code_for_Bikes.pdf

So two abreast is legal, but also, if traffic is being unreasonably impeded, then cyclists by law are supposed to go to single file. Whether a bike lane is there is also a factor under some laws. So that is the state of the law. So I guess when folks are riding up to 3 abreast, or way out into the lane, I think that is when the anger starts getting generated. And how one defines "unreasonably impeding" is also a factor. Some motorists may feel that if their normal 10 over the speed limit is impeded in anyway, that they are unreasonably impeded. Other motorists may have a more moderate view.

@Tig noted in the other thread thats more experienced cyclists stick to the two abreast, as far right as practical rule, and tell newbies to hold to that for safety. Problem is there are lots of folks out there who don't use common sense. Just part of life in a more crowded society. As I said in the other thread, I hope that as uses of our road change (and they are changing), more infrastructure is built, more clear law is passed, and more education occurs all the way around. But I don't expect all people to be reasonable in the meantime. Just not a realistic expectation. Not on this issue, not on a lot of other issues. Just a symptom of life in our times.

Bicycle lanes and trails have been expanding here big time in the past few years. It's actually become news for politicians. We have way more bike lanes and trails now than ever before. It keeps everybody happy.....

Last edited:
And you'd be surprised at just how many more people would cycle if cycling was safer for them......

Part of the problem is that most bicycles can't even maintain the lowest of speed limits of 25mph, let alone if they're riding on a 35 or 45mph road. So if there's not a designated bike lane, it's immediately dangerous, which causes fear (on both sides), which breeds resentment and contempt. But a lot of that could be avoided with common sense and common courtesy, which as we've all observed is on a steep decline.

Part of the problem is that most bicycles can't even maintain the lowest of speed limits of 25mph, let alone if they're riding on a 35 or 45mph road. So if there's not a designated bike lane, it's immediately dangerous, which causes fear (on both sides), which breeds resentment and contempt. But a lot of that could be avoided with common sense and common courtesy, which as we've all observed is on a steep decline.

w/r/t surface streets and secondary roadways, that's only true if you operate your motor vehicle under the premise that there were never be anything in the roadway to impede your progress at speed....walkers, joggers, bicyclists, horses, etc. Which we all know is not the case or the expectation. I think just about every state includes all of the above as legal occupants of the roads and streets. Granted, they have specific rules to follow, just like MVOs. w/r/t limited access roads, I agree that you have an expectation that there will not commonly be vehicles on the road unable to maintain the posted speed.

I've posted this elsewhere but it's applicible:
WIW, PA vehicle code, title 75, considers a bicycle a vehicle subject to rules common to all vehicles permitted on the road; they are entitled to use the lane of travel when the shoulder is absent, they are overtaking a slower vehicle or conditions of the shoulder are unsafe. Lighting is only required when the bicycle is operated after sunset and before dawn. Riders are permitted by law to ride 2 a breast. (not included in the link is a recent change to the law that specifies a 4' clearance requirement when passing a bicyclist on the road) Here's an excerpt of some of the applicable sections:
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Internet/...rward?OpenForm

I'm actually one of those bicyclists that attempts to follow the laws, ride with respect for other users of the road (including the running zombies who appear to be oblivious to everyone & everything around them
wink.gif
) and ride with my safety as a priority. When you ride & act expecting other vehicles to obey the rules of the road, it can be dangerous too; the vehicles around me often don't follow those same rules & will jeopardize my safety unnecessarily by doing things like trying to pass me with little to no clearance, passing me at stop signs, completely ignoring my right of way at an intersection, etc..etc..etc. I was riding into the lane of travel the other day because a section of the road/shoulder was totally destroyed by last winter's brutal weather and a woman in a civic came right up on my wheel, blaring her horn & yelled at me to 'get the F off the road and on the shoulder where you belong, arsehole'. Of course, we were the only two vehicles on the road at that time, plenty of visibility & she had zero reason not to just go around me and continue on her way.

Yeah, seeing other cyclists completely ignore the rules of the road frustrates me too. I give them grief when I encounter and they generally don't give a crap..just like the car & truck drivers who routinely disregard the safety of other road users.
What we need is everyone to respect each other and behave accordingly. Until that unlikely day, I'll keep legally and defensively riding my bike on the road, expecting the worst of other vehicles and rarely being surprised when I experience it.

Last edited:
Cool...Touring is something I've thought about doing once I retire. I've talked to a couple of people that have toured alone and I think I'd prefer to do it with one other person....I love the notion though...

I've been surprised by how much I've enjoyed touring alone. A good partner is awesome, too. Either is better than a bad partner. :)

What we need is everyone to respect each other and behave accordingly. Until that unlikely day, I'll keep legally and defensively riding my bike on the road, expecting the worst of other vehicles and rarely being surprised when I experience it.

I am totally in agreement with this. Here in Socal, in my car, I give a green light three seconds before I move, as so many ass-hats just run the lights. On my bike.. I am Captain Paranoid. Head on a swivel, no music in my ears, and always looking for my first escape route.

I took a defensive driving class a few weeks ago at work....(Half days,Yay)..

One of the things that the instructor said for cyclists or motor cyclists..

Always keep in mind that you're invisable.............Nobody can see you so it's up to you to pay attn and take precautions.........

I've ridden several thousand miles on my own in the past couple years and haven't had any real problems. I don't want anything to do with a group because I like to set my own pace and stop often to take pictures or smell the daisies and what have you.

Last edited:
ps I need a 700x25 tube that isn't total crap. ?? All the reviews I read online are bad so I have no idea what to get.

Back