Beyond Meat Beast Burger review

*spits* Just sayin', it didn't get the bun 'til it got here. In Hamburg it was just a hamburger steak.

I had one of these today for lunch

in_n_out_burger_bite2.jpg

with some of these...

in%20n%20out%20fries.jpg

and one of these...

thumb_600.jpg

...jus' sayin' :embarrassed:

They have another version that's supposed to be even more legit burger like & is packaged like ground beef to be sold in the meat isle and looks like a hand formed patty but the distribution is pretty limited so far. According to the reviews I've seen, it's even closer to ground beef flavor and texture in a burger. http://beyondmeat.com/products/view/beyond-burger
beyond-burger-tray.jpg

Pea Protein Isolate, Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Water, Yeast Extract, Maltodextrin, Natural Flavors, Gum Arabic, Sunflower Oil, Salt, Succinic Acid, Acetic Acid, Non-GMO Modified Food Starch, Cellulose From Bamboo, Methylcellulose, Potato Starch, Beet Juice Extract (for color), Ascorbic Acid (to maintain color), Annatto Extract (for color), Citrus Fruit Extract (to maintain quality), Vegetable Glycerin.

they are positioning the beast burger as more of a sports nutrition food product and the beyond burger as the meat analogue
HOW IS THE BEYOND BURGER DIFFERENT THAN THE BEAST?
The Beyond Burger™ is a ready-to-cook "raw" patty that looks, cooks, and tastes like a fresh beef burger, and it will be sold in the meat section of the store. The Beast is a precooked frozen patty shelved with other frozen items. Our goal in creating The Beyond Burger™ was to provide the full 360° mouth-watering, juicy, and delicious experience of beef but without so many of the health, environmental, and animal welfare downsides of traditional animal-based meat. On the other hand, we developed The Beast with nutrient density in mind, working with Brendan Brazier, a rockstar plant-based triathlete to develop it. The Beast has 23G of protein and a slew of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and omegas to help support performance and recovery for especially active folks.

Anywho I think they've come the closest so far that I've experienced to creating a plant based ground beef substitute that could sway many people to consider including alternatives into their diet who wouldn't otherwise. Unfortunately, until you break that price barrier I don't know how practical that really is.

Happened to run across this one recently and I'll be cooking them up tonight. Feedback to follow at some point.

Also had a Hungry Planet Range-Free Burger out at the PDX public house:
https://hungryplanet.us/now-available-range-free-vegan-burger/

5.3 ounces of hearty taste and texture, this burger is for those who want a delectable, healthy plant-based option. Our plant-based patty has a similar taste and texture to beef but is made with no gluten, no genetically modified ingredients and no animal ingredients.

100% plant-based (vegan)

Non-GMO

No gluten

150 calories

No saturated, trans or polyunsaturated fat

27g of protein

7g dietary fiber

Nutritional Information: Serving size: 5.3oz. (150g), Calories: 150, Calories from Fat: 20, Total Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 0g, Trans Fat: 0g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1.5g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 450mg, Total Carbohydrates: 10g, Dietary Fiber: 7g, Sugars: 0g, Protein: 27g, Vitamin A: 2%, Vitamin C: 35%, Calcium: 15%, Iron: 30%

Ingredients: (Range-Free Beef™ / Vegan) Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, Modified Vegetable Gum, Isolated Soy Protein, Caramel Color, Locust Bean Gum, Beet Powder, Salt, Autolyzed Yeast Extract.

------

Overall it wasn't bad. The 'meat' itself had a good texture and decent flavor, though not as meat-like as the beast burger and probably a more subtle flavor overall. A small portion of the patty was a little on the dry side but the rest was appropriately moist.

Happened to run across this one recently and I'll be cooking them up tonight. Feedback to follow at some point.

I cooked it per the directions on the package; medium high skillet (or bbq) 3 mins per side. When the patty started cooking, plenty of oil seeped out so you don't need to grease the cooking surface or anything to prevent it from sticking. OTOH, it seems to have resulted in an almost paper thin fried crust on the outside of the burger that texturally is a little unusual. These have only a few flavoring ingredients comp to the beast burger and the flavor, like the range-free, is a lot more subtle (and some would probably say about both, bland and really need to be dressed with condiments, etc). I didn't season the burger since it already has a good dose of sodium and I wanted to taste it factory fresh so to speak. Once you add a bunch of fixins, the difference between this and a regular burger is narrowed a bit. Moisture was really spot on and it didn't bleed or look bloody at all as some reviews mentioned. The interior of the burger did look like medium rare burger meat. Other than the exterior crust the texture was close to a loose ground beef patty but there's something about the mouthfeel & flavor that reminds you that you're eating a vegan substitute.

No thanks...I'd rather eat a smurfco shit burger after he ate a dozen pickled eggs and washed them down with a gallon of swish...

Any of you tried this?
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/29/impossible-burger-our-test-tube-meat-tastes-great.html

For me I don't see the point of eating something that tastes like meat but isn't meat. And I've seen meat processing plants and worked in a both a tannery and chicken farms so if those aren't going to put me off nothing will. However I do understand the point that the article makes about sustainability.
I think that's only been available at a couple NYC and SF so far

Any of you tried this?
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/29/impossible-burger-our-test-tube-meat-tastes-great.html

For me I don't see the point of eating something that tastes like meat but isn't meat. And I've seen meat processing plants and worked in a both a tannery and chicken farms so if those aren't going to put me off nothing will. However I do understand the point that the article makes about sustainability.
""Every molecule in our burger," he said, "is something found in nature.""

I'm struggling to think of any molecules in any burger that aren't something that's found in nature

Last edited:
Back