Best Power Supply

mrhoyo

Multimeh
I've got quite a few pedals now and have been running them of one of those multi-adaptor brick things (I think it's Chord brand) but it has a high-pitched whistle to it. Any suggestions for a better one?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Can't speak to your question, but mind is trying to conjure a Power Station/Air Supply mash-up.

Fortunately I can't really think of any Air Supply tunes!

I have an MXR (Dunlop) DC Brick, and a Voodoo Lab Power Pedal 2 Plus. Both are good power supplies - the Voodoo Lab has each output isolated, and costs a bit more, while the MXR outouts are not isolated, and is more cost effective. If you are playing at different places and can't trust the available power, the Voodoo Lab is the way to go, but for home use, or a consistent place to play, with reliable power, the DC Brick will work perfectly well. I use the DC Brick at home, and the Voodoo Lab is for playing out.

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like Voodoo Lab might be the way to go. Can anyone explain the differences between the numerous varieties?

The different VL power supplies offer different outputs. Can you post what pedals you have? I think the Pedal Power 2 is what most people get. ...and, maybe an adapter to double the voltage or, amperage of one of the outputs.

As Mark said, cheap power supplies are never the answer. Sooner or, later, you need to bite the bullet and, spend as much as that really cool overdrive you are gassing for. :grin:

That being said, you MIGHT be able to get rid of the high pitched whistle by not hooking up everything to one cheaper, non-isolated supply. The big no no is powering dirt pedals AND time based "like a delay" pedals with the same supply that does not have isolated outputs. Have you tried removing pedals to get rid of the whistle?

The different VL power supplies offer different outputs. Can you post what pedals you have? I think the Pedal Power 2 is what most people get. ...and, maybe an adapter to double the voltage or, amperage of one of the outputs.

As Mark said, cheap power supplies are never the answer. Sooner or, later, you need to bite the bullet and, spend as much as that really cool overdrive you are gassing for. :grin:

That being said, you MIGHT be able to get rid of the high pitched whistle by not hooking up everything to one cheaper, non-isolated supply. The big no no is powering dirt pedals AND time based "like a delay" pedals with the same supply that does not have isolated outputs. Have you tried removing pedals to get rid of the whistle?
I've just double check and the current pedal list is:
Korg Pitchblack Poly tuner
Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95
Danelectro Chilli Dog Octave
Boss Mega Distortion
Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive
Joyo Analog Delay
Source Audio Soundblox Pro Classic Distortion

The current power supply is actually a Belcat Power Station.

Not the greatest list in the world but I think I've got most bases covered.

With regards to dropping pedals, there's still whistling however it's set up unfortunately.

I use Godlyke power supplies and Boss. On my board here a Boss power supply is attached to my Tu3 tuner and runs the first 8. A Godlyke runs the rest. No buzz or hum.

A 1 spot and a wall wart for the delay would be a big improvement then. Pedal power 2 would do all of those.

Voodoo Labs and Cioks here. I also have a One Spot as well but my preference will be one of the 1st two mentioned.

A 1 spot and a wall wart for the delay would be a big improvement then. Pedal power 2 would do all of those.
I just had to Google what those two things are. I'm not sure we can get 1 Spot in the UK but we can definitely get AC wall adapters. Why do you recommend a separate one for the delay?

Somebody smarter than me would have to answer why. I just know pedals like delay, chorus, reverb, somehow pickup noise from dirt pedals. That's why I asked if you tried removing pedals. Just to be clear, if you put 1 pedal between your guitar and amp, and connect that 1 pedal to your power supply, you still have the whistle?

voodoo labs pedal power II+

although the new strymons that are coming out look really good too.

Back