Best amp with London Power scaling

hardtdc

Resident fornicator
Looking at purchasing a new amp head so that I can get good tone at home or "bedroom" levels and read that the London Power scaling is probably the best way to go to cut the power down to a manageable volume while still maintaining the desirable tone I want.
Name me the best ones out there.
I've been thinking about a Fargen Mini Plex II which has the power scaling feature or going the 65Amp route with their master voltage drop feature.
What others would you recommend? Oh, I still want a built-in FX loop.

Thanks guys.

Mine:

13087828_10154186640867425_414580487506147606_n.jpg

Actually at this wattage its not the best "bedroom" amp although it can get pretty quiet and still sound good. I'd look at the Fargen myself.

Strangely enough, apparently the power scaling on the Marshall YJM100 can bring it down to about the volume of a mouse fart. It scales from 100 watts to 1/10 of a watt.

Me? I just use a Jet City Jettenuator. It can drop down a 100 watter to almost no volume and also gives you options for direct recording (run the Line Level Out to my interface and use Two-Notes Wall of Sound III plugin for speaker cab sim) but if you're playing through a cab I can tell you from first hand experience that my daughter (at the time about 4 months old) fell asleep about 4ft from my 2x12 while I played.

One thing to remember... Dropping B+ voltage is going to make the sound browner. If that's what you want I can endorse that fully (I still want to get a Variac).

Lots of Laney amps have power scaling knobs or a < 1 watt input. Peavey’s new lunchbox heads have 20/5/1 switches.

My Orange Thunderverb 50 has a built-in attenuator. Sounds fucking amazing at face melting volume or the kids are asleep upstairs levels.

If i recall correctly from the two amps I've owned that had power scaling (Rebel and a Miniplex), the power scaling wasn't nearly as effective at taming volume than an attenuator is. It's been quite a while since I sold those however.

I’m pretty sure the Thunderverb 50 “attenuator” uses power scaling for attenuation. From Orange:
The footswitchable attenuator is located after the master volume controls but before the output transformer…
From London power
The key to Power Scaling is that it is applied to the power output tube stage itself, and so comes before the output transformer.

I'm playing around with a Vox AD120VT these days, and on the back panel it has a switch that allows you to select 60+60W, 30+30, 15+15 or 1+1. Seems to work incredibly well, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a Fargen, if you're mainly gonna use it for bedroom-level work.

I’m pretty sure the Thunderverb 50 “attenuator” uses power scaling for attenuation. From Orange:

From London power

Interesting. I'm the first to admit I know squat about amps. The Thunderverb's attenuator appears to have way more control over volume than I recall on the two power scaling amps I previously owned.

I made a decision. I'm not going to get a new amp right now. I did some research and the Rivera Rockcrusher attenuator gets great reviews and from the videos and clips I heard, allows the sound to still come through at low volumes without much if any change in tone. Also, I can send the line out to record with. I just ordered one of those and I'm wiring my Crate VC30 with 1/4" speaker jacks so I can route it. These amps come wired direct to the speakers.

Back