Help! Best 6-in-line locking tuners

My favorite locking tuners are Sperzel and Hipshot. I am not sure if Hipshot make left handed ones (for reverse headstocks) though.

I'm going to have to be contrarian regarding the above choices. I can't stand the big freakin knobs on the back of each tuner.

The Gotoh Vintage Locking Tuner looks like a Fender vintage tuner even from 3 feet away. The only difference is that instead of feeding the string into the top slot, you use a dime to lock the post down on the string... and then tune away! Lightweight, functional, and attractive.

14560d1220746348t-gotoh-locking-tuners-gotoh_locking_vintage_oval_knob_tuners_detail-jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

Reactions: Tig
I have them on all of my Strats... Mark has them on his McFeely.

That's just the thing about them... when they're on there, you don't even realize they're locking tuners other than there isn't a zillon wraps around each post.

I'm going to have to be contrarian regarding the above choices. I can't stand the big freakin knobs on the back of each tuner.

The Gotoh Vintage Locking Tuner looks like a Fender vintage tuner even from 3 feet away. The only difference is that instead of feeding the string into the top slot, you use a dime to lock the post down on the string... and then tune away! Lightweight, functional, and attractive.

14560d1220746348t-gotoh-locking-tuners-gotoh_locking_vintage_oval_knob_tuners_detail-jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

I don't like the look of Vintage tuners :puke:

Besides that, I don't think they look good on an ESP guitar cop0

DSC_0007.jpg
I like the looks of those. I don't like the idea of needing a dime or a flat head to change my strings though.

I don't like the look of Vintage tuners :puke:

Besides that, I don't think they look good on an ESP guitar cop0

They also make modern ones with the lock.

Whats-MG-EN1-581x326.jpg

Chad, I've had the wheel type get stuck and I have to use plyers to grip the wheel and unlock them.

Placing an allen wrench or a dime in the slot to unlock is Waaaaaay more convenient. The best are the PRS ones that have a little gripper on the top of the post. You can often unlock them or tighten them with your fingertips... but no huge, heavy wheel on back.

They also make modern ones with the lock.

Whats-MG-EN1-581x326.jpg

Chad, I've had the wheel type get stuck and I have to use plyers to grip the wheel and unlock them.

Placing an allen wrench or a dime in the slot to unlock is Waaaaaay more convenient. The best are the PRS ones that have a little gripper on the top of the post. You can often unlock them or tighten them with your fingertips... but no huge, heavy wheel on back.

Huh, I have been using locking tuners for 20 years and never had a wheel get stuck.

I guess you could always get one of those allen wrench holders they put on the back of headstocks an keep one there. And it isn't like I gig anymore so I guess I would always have a tool around when I change strings.

I've got Sperzels on my Eggle and Jinho cheapies on my Purple Strat.

Jinho make Wilkinson hardware and the stuff I've had from them isn't crap although cheaper than Sperzels. The Jinho ones have a wheel on the front to screw down like the Gotohs but you don't need a coin or screwdriver, just a firm grip. There's some on ebay here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SET-OF-6-...K_Guitar_Accessories&var=&hash=item231e9967d5

The Sperzels are the doggie's doo dahs however. Twist the wheel, pull string out, put new string through, pull tight, twist wheel back and tune. I've broken a string at the start of a song, changed it and retuned in under two minutes in time to take the solo in my old 5 piece band.

Reactions: wok
I'll toss in a second vote for Steinberger tuners. They are pretty darn amazing.

I also have a mix of gotoh and schaller locking tuners on my guitars. I like them both and it is hard to say one is really better than the other.

I have Schallers and Sperzels. Sperzels are lighter. Schallers have a higher gear ratio. Both work well.

I have them on all of my Strats... Mark has them on his McFeely.

That's just the thing about them... when they're on there, you don't even realize they're locking tuners other than there isn't a zillon wraps around each post.
I'll be honest, I hate those tuners. They are a giant PITA to change strings on a dark stage between sets. I actually ordered them by accident and when that guitar gets sent back to Mark for a new neck in the next few weeks its going to get a set of the normal Gotoh Klusons that I have on the 454. They stay in tune just fine without all the locking stuff.

I forgot that I also have a set of spretzles on my Les Paul. They are also fine locking tuners.

Back