Belated Burn's Supper menu

jbj

Poor old Geordie's array...
So last year one of my buds decided he was going to have a Burn's Supper at his house. Was him, me good self and the lady friend, my brother and his wife. A friend of his was meant to come but couldnt make it.

It turned into a great night. For a guy who eats out most nights, he can cook plus as a functioning alcoholic we went nuts on all sorts of fancy gins, wines and of course whisky.

We decided to make it a tradition and do it at a different house each year so as I'm just about settled in my shiny new house and I bought a massive dining table from Gumtree - I stuck my neck out and volunteered.

Obviously Burn's night was last week but I had better things to do so tonight is the night.

The dessert was done last night and looks AMAZING. If it tastes half as good I'll be happy.

Just finished doing the mash and had to drag myself out of the kitchen to stop "testing" any more of it. You start off roasting the potatoes before mashing them and I'd have quite happilly but the roasts out on the table too.

All that's left now is to do the starter when people arrive and the haggis and the whisky sauce.

Statrter:
Stornowat black pudding, cheddar, goats, goats cheese, chorizo, pickles and a sweet chlli chutney (this has gone through a million changes so we've decided to go for a kind of tapas / platter thing. Should be good. If nothing else you can't go wrong with black pudding, cheese and chorizo.

Main:
Haggis, neeps, tatties and home made single malt whisky sauce. I know a lot of people think that's blashpemy but I've got gallons of the stuff in the house and I'm not buying / forcing myself to drink shit whisky for the sake of a 30ml measure going into a sauce.

Dessert:
Jamaican ginger cake with custard. Not exactly Scottish but in a tenuous link - Robert Burn's was meant to emigrate to Jamaica and with all the boozing and womanising never quite got round to it.

On the whisky front I have:
Glenfiddich 12 y.o. - The Budweiser of whiskys but it was a gift and will do for when we're pissing and drinking a decent single malt is a waste of liquor.
Tobermory 10y.o.
Cardhu 12y.o.
And my bud who hosted last years said he's bringing a bottle of something fancy. Not quite sure what but he's always keen to show off his wealth so I'm hoping for something good.

Oh yeah meant to say if you want any of the recipes then just give me a shout.

The starter is really just throwing stuff in a pan and the rest of it is bits and bobs I've picked up from the internet. Super easy to do.

Back