Being that this is a smart forum...

Love that riff. It's a cool pick find; I have a box at home next to my practice area that's filled with all kinds of different picks, including different models by Wegen and V-Picks. The Wegen mandolin models I've found are really great for my playing style regardless of instrument.

I'm glad you mentioned the "flappiness" of the thinner pick. When I played more weedly weedly stuff it was all about the thick gator grip pics that would slide smoothly for fast picking, but now that my band requires me to play more rhythmically and reggae-ish the Tusq picks help punctuate the rhythm better than the thicker picks but the smooth Tusq material doesn't get all eaten up and rough like normal thin picks do.

It's also refreshing to hear something on youtube that isn't GRRRRAARRRRRAAAARRRRRRRRR metal. :baimun:

First: I'm not hitting on you.
When the video started, I thought it was an old video from younger days.
You look good, man.

Second: cool tip! I've done exactly that in the past - inadvertently - and while I recognised how it made for a different tone, I never thought to actually utilise it on purpose.

Dammit Tom! Not that it was the best kept secret in the world or anything, but this is a massive violation of the code of the Knights of Tonedom. You may as well just go ahead and tell us all who really killed JFK and the truth about Roswell while you're at it.

Now every snot - nosed kid with a Dean Vendetta and a Line 6 Spider amp are going to be going all Edge crazy. No more walking into a guitar store and hearing Stairway, oh no... now they'll all be playing Where the streets have no name. This is tragic.

:)

Seriously though, that was a cool video and demonstration. I love that trick and have used it unapologetically for many years.

Thanks guys. Sorry to give away the secrets, but that just means we have to work harder to come up with even cooler things.

And I meant to title this thread "Being that THIS is a smart forum...." - Mark I couldn't figure out how to edit that. But because you are a smart forum I'm sure you knew what I meant.

Reactions: OGG
Thin picks are like training wheels.

Once you can really play, you never them ever again.
I usually defer to your wisdom when it comes to most things related to technique and such, but I'm struggling a bit with this notion. Certainly there are situations and styles where a thinner pick is more suitable. I use a variety of pick thickness depending on the particular need. If staccato is the order of the day, of course you would want a thicker pick, but light strumming sounds like Hell with that same pick.

Take your average acoustic guitar: strum an open G chord with a light/thin pick and it will lean toward the "Taylor" type of tone. Strum the same chord on the same guitar with a thick heavy pick, and it will lean more toward the "Gibson" type of tone.

So, I would agree that if someone can only play with thin picks regardless of the type of playing, then they have a hole in their technique. But, I wouldn't agree that they aren't a valid and useful tool in the guitarists arsenal.

Thin picks are like training wheels.

Once you can really play, you never them ever again.

Maybe with another 30 years of playing, I will be ready to give up the thin picks all together. I mostly use Fender mediums, but there are times where I dig the tone you get from thins.

I've never been able to use really thin picks. I started with the Fender mediums, moved to super heavy picks in college, back to mediums and now I use Ultexx Jazz III's and I wonder if there is something better for me out there that doesn't cost $5 a pick.

I have and use a large variety of picks.
My go to for the longest time though and still the dominant species is the Dunlop 500 2.0 mm.

I started using these back when I was also using daddario 8s . You'd be surprised how much control you have with a stiff pick and little slinkmeister strings.
I'm on 9s now and as often as not I'm using a red GC ( mostly medium but sometimes heavy) pick I pocketed during a recent stop and browse session.

qpbazmuotuydceht0acd.jpg

8419086_orig.jpg

I'm glad I'm not he only one that is struggling to find THE pick!! Lately I'm liking the Dunlop ultex sharps. I have a few gauges but I like a thicket pick. 1.14-2.0

Back