Being And Nothingness Part IV

Tonight, for the first time ever, I hooked an iPod up to my real home stereo. Good Lord, those mp3s sound like shit, don't they?
I rarely listen to mp3 anyway, and when I do it usually through cheap computer speakers so I never thought much about the source.
But through my trusty old Sony amp and Bose speakers, the mp3 files sound awful.

Tonight, for the first time ever, I hooked an iPod up to my real home stereo. Good Lord, those mp3s sound like shit, don't they?
I rarely listen to mp3 anyway, and when I do it usually through cheap computer speakers so I never thought much about the source.
But through my trusty old Sony amp and Bose speakers, the mp3 files sound awful.
If they're from iTunes they are ATRAC which is losless which is as good or better than CD quality... Your problem isn't the MP3s, it's Sony and Bose8-)

Get you a good Harman Kardon, Denon, Marantz, or Yamaha and some Definitive Tech, Axiom, hell even BIC America or Fluance speakers and see how they sound...

Sony amps ar acceptable at best and Bose is just a clever marketing company that happens to sell speakers... Unless you're talking about a 30 year old pair of 301s that are in pristine condition...

LGUS990 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wow, I just read that back and I sounded kinda dickish... I wasn't at all trying to E, my bad...

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

I listened to some vinyl records a month or so ago for the first time in 20+ years. I couldn't believe how good it sounded. MP3s are convenient, but they don't hold a candle to vinyl.

:grin:

I know it's an average system. My point merely was that, compared to my CDs or vinyl, the mp3s don't sound all that hot.
Yeah, but that's always been the story...when CDs first came out they were jabbed for sounding too sterile...nothing sounds as good as the days when they ran 1/4" reels of tape through amplifiers full of tubes and into speakers with magnets and paper cones...

Yeah, but that's always been the story...when CDs first came out they were jabbed for sounding too sterile...nothing sounds as good as the days when they ran 1/4" reels of tape through amplifiers full of tubes and into speakers with magnets and paper cones...

Some of the early CDs did sound pretty crummy. The recordings weren't mastered for the format and limitations in the source recordings could be pretty obvious. But they got better.
Honestly, I mostly thought CDs sounded better than vinyl with few exceptions.
But MP3 is nowhere near as good as CD to my ears.

Never had enough experience with reel to reel tape to compare. Cassette was so-so. 8 track sucked.
There's a guy I know who still maintains an old stereo setup...reel to reel, tube amp, GIANT speakers...even taking a CD, copying to tape, and playing it on that system sounds better than anything you've ever heard...

There's a guy I know who still maintains an old stereo setup...reel to reel, tube amp, GIANT speakers...even taking a CD, copying to tape, and playing it on that system sounds better than anything you've ever heard...

Amp and speakers have a lot to do with that sound, I imagine.
Not sure how copying a recording from one format to another can improve it, though.

I swear to GOD I wish I could just reach through the phone and tear peoples' faces off...

Some real peaches out there.

I had a guy recently who called looking for a bunch of features on a chair that his insurance won't cover. He had called Medicare and they gave the stock "We will cover whatever is medically necessary" answer, which he took to mean "Anything you want."
I thought I got through to him what was covered and what wasn't. We went through three month's of work to get all the documentation ready. Physical therapy evaluation, my writeup, doctor's orders, medical records...the whole shooting match.
Then I ordered his $20,000 chair.
Called him to let him know it was ready and he asked if I got the seat elevator. :facepalm:
Phucker ended up refusing a highly customized chair, saying he'll call someone else.
I got very lucky in that the chair could be altered to fit another patient, so I sold it to somebody else before new year's.
He called this week wanting to know if we still had his chair...

:bert:

I'm getting repeated call from some girl in Florida who was told by a dealer in California that I had a brake line for her car...the line I have is not the one she needs but she can't get her mind around the concept of "obsolete"...

...oh, and English is not her native language...

mine does too. my cases are fucking brutal this week. I get all the shitty ones because I don't fuck them up or complain.

Back