Behind the Lyric: Jolene

Kerouac

weird musical dildo
http://www.americansongwriter.com/2014/07/lyric-week-dolly-parton-jolene/

If you were to just read the first five lines of the opening verse, you would think this song was a love ode by an Elizabethan poet to some reticent beauty, as Parton speaks of “flaming locks of auburn hair,” “ivory skin,” and “eyes of emerald green,” not to mention a captivating smile and sirenlike voice. Yet these qualities don’t engender admiration in the narrator, only fear, as evidenced by her capping line: “And I cannot compete with you, Jolene.”​

Love the song. If you guys don't already subscribe to their newsletter (or the magazine) you should really consider doing so. I check out the lyrics every week.

That is a great song. Most of the things I get from them I delete without reading, however. Especially all the contest stuff.

A great song from a time when country music wasn't required to mention pickup trucks and fishing.

You forgot: Beer, women, small towns, hicks, hillbillies, etc. Listening to most modern (popular) country is like playing lyrical bingo.

You forgot: Beer, women, small towns, hicks, hillbillies, etc. Listening to most modern (popular) country is like playing lyrical bingo.

There's a local sports talk station that sometimes goes through and tallies up the country lyric cliches in songs.

It is not without irony that a sports talk station is criticizing something for being formulaic and predictable.

There's a local sports talk station that sometimes goes through and tallies up the country lyric cliches in songs.

It is not without irony that a sports talk station is criticizing something for being formulaic and predictable.
:grin:

I'm sure we could could come up with a list of cliches in any type of music. Nothing new there.

I get that weekly email as well. I like how she tells the tale behind the song years later, downplaying it. Back when it was written, the threat may have been more intense.

On a serious note, Dolly Parton is a great musician, songwriter and singer. And probably a smokin' piece of ass.

Back