Help! Before I GAS Again!

Stratguy

Coffee Junky
So, as I posted in another thread, I will be getting a Fender Deluxe Player's Strat with Vintage Noiseless pickups with the next 2 weeks. I was a total GAS purchase while I was in California after hearing it.

The thing is that I played it through a Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue, and now I am thinking that the heavenly tones I heard might have been the pairing of the Strat with the Deluxe Reverb. I'm sure I'll find out in the next couple of weeks, but in the meantime, the beautiful sound that I heard won't leave my head. I keep hearing it as the most perfect sound I have ever heard.

So here's the deal. I need you guys to convince me that the Deluxe Reverb amp isn't actually the Holy Grail of amps, so that I can start sleeping nights again. I have gone as far as looking for a good used Deluxe Reverb (and this is before the Strat has gotten here). Yep, I've got it bad. Help me before I GAS again!!

Edit: BTW, I've also thought about which amps I would sell/trade in to get the Deluxe Reverb.

If you really wanted to be talked out of it, you wouldn't have come here. That would be like going to the drug dealer to have him talk you out of using. :grin:

You make an extremely good point Gary! It truly is a gamble.

I'm actually hoping to get some honest feedback on this amp. If it's not all that I think it is, then I'll cross it off my list.

I'm not that into electrics and amps, but I'd say wait to get the guitar and play it through what you have. If it doesn't give you that sound, take it with you and try out the Deluxe with that guitar. If it then gives you the sound, GAS away.

The Delux is a gigging amp which gives it's best when running flat out...if you need that kind of amp then, by all means, be my guest..If not then that heavenly tone in your head won't be available...

The electric guitar sound is made up from all the components from the strings and plectrum through to the speaker the sound comes out of. Each component adds it's own part and you may find what you've got is already a better match for the Strat so you should try that first. If not fill your boots!

You came to the wrong place to be talked out of a purchase. But like jelloman said, it is loud. If you only play Madison Square Bedroom like me, a Princeton Reverb may be what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You came to the wrong place to be talked out of a purchase. But like jelloman said, it is loud. If you only play Madison Square Bedroom like me, a Princeton Reverb may be what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Princeton Reverb would go really well with that Marshall 18 watter. Get an active panner to blend between amps. That'd be sweet.

There's no resisting a moral imperative, Chad...free will no longer applies...

...we eagerly anticipate your pending NAD threads...

I'm not that into electrics and amps, but I'd say wait to get the guitar and play it through what you have. If it doesn't give you that sound, take it with you and try out the Deluxe with that guitar. If it then gives you the sound, GAS away.

This. And while you're checking out the Deluxe try your Strat through a Super Champ XD/X2 with a 12" speaker. I've owned both and my take on it is that there's a good chance you'll find the Fender tone you're looking for at about 1/2 the price. Channel 1 with pedals is very nice stuff.

Last edited:
This. And while you're checking out the Deluxe try your Strat through a Super Champ XD/X2 with a 12" speaker. I've owned both and my take on it is that there's a good chance you'll find the Fender tone you're looking for at about 1/2 the price. Channel 1 with pedals is very nice stuff.

Will do, and thanks for the advise. The Deluxe Player's Strat just cleared waivers yesterday, so it's on it's way to me. I'll take my time and try it with plenty of amps to make sure I get the base tone I want. The Deluxe Reverb Reissue is the front runner, but I'll see if another amp can knock it out of that position. The best would be something I already have, but the tone I heard when I played the Strat is my Holy Grail tone (at this point, of course).

I'm actually contemplating the purchase of a Super Champ X2 head myself. I may be getting the opportunity to play out more (mostly on the Stanford campus) and I currently lack anything with more than ten watts (SS) or five watts (Tube). Plus, my tube amp is an EL84 model (Kustom) that does the vox thing pretty well, but not the Fender thing. I figure the head would be nice with the Kustom 112 cab I threw a Fane AXA-12 into...

I figure the head would be nice with the Kustom 112 cab I threw a Fane AXA-12 into...

That's the cab that I'm using as an extension for my XD combo. The nice thing about that cab is that it's the same width as the amp (+- 1/4") and they stack like they were made for each other. The grille cloth and logo are my doing. I've got a Mesa/Celestion C90 in mine.

Last edited:
Back