Hot or Not? BC Rich Gunslinger

I'd forgotten about him completely...
but I do remember when he was a big name in geetar circles.

personally, I never cared for him, but I didn't much get into "guitarist's music" anyways

didn't know about the piano.
that's cool.
wish I'd learned that, myself.
I can muck about a bit, but can't actually "play", know what I mean?

didn't know about the piano.
that's cool.
wish I'd learned that, myself.
I can muck about a bit, but can't actually "play", know what I mean?
he doesnt just noodle on piano he mastered it. Chopin is one of the hardest dudes to play
his left hand work is as strong as his right hand

I'd love to wake up one day and be able to do that.
I just don't wanna put in the work to do so.

what can I say, I'm a lazy prick.

1990s sometime...a long time ago lol

back when he was still relevant
Cool, I like most of his stuff up to around Evolution, with Premonition being a personal fave out of his post-'80s albums. After that, his chops seemed to fade away, and all his solos started sounding the same. Gone were the great melodies he displayed on Project: Driver and his early solo albums, instead being replaced by noisy, messy shred with a tone that sounds like a POD 2.0 preset.

I mean, what the hell?

I used to be a big fan of his, but these days, if Tony's playing guitar in some music project, my expectations are pretty low. Not really sure what happened, but no way is he as good today as he was in his '80s prime.

I'd love to wake up one day and be able to do that.
I just don't wanna put in the work to do so.

what can I say, I'm a lazy prick.

ha yeahs its no joke. I dated a classical trained pianist, when she was auditioning for schools she played a bach piece and a chopin piece because they were so technical.
she ended up gong to IU school of music, but when she got there she realized she was a small fish and had to switch from performance to teaching. There were 12 year old dudes there that could shred classical and jazz like it was nothing. (and she started when she was 5)

Oh yeah, Tony's piano playing is good, and his keyboard playing is even better. To me he's up there with Jens Johansson as one of the finest metal keyboardists. Hearing him play solo duels with himself on Project: Driver and those first two solo albums makes my head spin to this day.

Love that, wish there were more videos like that from the era. Ditto with Vinnie Moore, another guy who didn't perform those first few solo albums live.

chris impellteri still sounds good, or he did as recent as 2009 wicked maiden

I was not a big fan of him back in the day, he always sounded mechanical.

Impellitteri was pretty foolish back when he started out, doing that weak Malmsteen impression without the technique required. Hell, he even did an instructional video, demonstrating licks he couldn't even play himself. I think I read somewhere that he's sorta embarrassed by that stuff, and his playing improved a lot since then. I'm not a fan, but the man's a solid player these days.

One thing I do like is that he got Bonnet for the Stand In Line album. Some crazy vocal performances there, back when ol' Graham had his high range intact. I'm willing to ignore the bad soloing just for the vocals.

the achilles heal of most shredders is the vocals, Yngwie especially

this guy (Rob Rock who also played with Macalpine) sounds good though...i mean butt rock in 2009 is kind of wack but still

Yeah, Rock's got a strong voice. He sang on the first Impellitteri EP and tons of other bands and projects over the years. You might dig these Avantasia songs that Rock guested on:

Back