BBQ Rib spice rubs

PunkKitty

Horny bag of electric meat
I recently learned of a new spice rub for ribs. After putting the rub on and smoking the ribs for about 1.5 hours, I had the most amazing BBQ ribs I've ever had. There is no need for sauce.

Mix:
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon cumin
1 half tablespoon cayenne pepper
1.5-2 tablespoons brown sugar
25 turns of black pepper from a grinder

Oil the ribs with vegetable oil and then add the spice rub. Cook the ribs at 300-350 degrees turning them every 20 minutes until they are thoroughly cooked. Be careful not to let them burn. I use a gas grill with 2 wood chip smoker boxes. I let the chips soak for 30 minutes before I put them in the boxes and I preheat the grill until the chips are smoking. You can apply the rub and let the ribs sit in the refrigerator until the grill is ready for the ribs.

What other spice rub recipes do you have?

The rub I use is similar to your rub with a few more spices.
Onion and garlic powder,maybe some oregano.
Happy New Rib Rub Day!

I also use one similar to that.

I was going to do ribs today but we ended up eating out. So next weekend it will be rib time. :cool:

I have my own rib rub too, I put instant coffee and a couple other things in there. I do ribs on my WSM, and I've had the local fire department show up because someone smelled smoke. Heh heh heh. Thanks to me bringing tasty morsels to the firehouse a few times a year, I am guaranteed a response time of under 120 seconds. No BS, the station is only 2 blocks away. And those guys are damned appreciative of my Q.

Looks good. As parrothead said, instant coffee is great to experiment with as well as many, many other things.
I'd share my rub but the time it would take to fly around and kill you all isn't worth it. :)

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I cooked my first ever batch of pork ribs on the charcoal grill earlier today, as a matter of fact.

I used this coffee rub stuff I got at the store, and let them cook for probably 4-ish hours using soaked cherry wood chips (at about 200-250F)

I did one plain (just the rub) and one with BBQ sauce on it. They turned out a lot "smokier" than I thought they would (not that that is a bad thing).

Not bad for my first attempt, but your rub mix sounds good. I'll have to try that.

IMAG0023 (2).jpg

Last edited:
This is the stuff I used:

fireflavor.jpg

Again, the ribs were VERY smokey, but I'm not sure if that is due to the rub, or the cherry-wood chips or a combination of both.

The next batch I do, I'll probably try something else (your recipe, for instance), or my old stand-by Montreal Steak Seasoning........something like that.

They were good, don't get me wrong, the meat came out great (very tender), but I put BBQ sauce on one of the slabs, and honestly, that one came out a little tastier than the one with just the coffee rub on it.

I use something similar that includes the mesquite seasoning from Costco. I grind it with the other ingredients in a spice grinder and rub the ribs with it the night before cooking.
91Xv1G8F-sL._SY355_.jpg

Good solid rub. Covers all the basics. I tweak mine out a bit that that is similar to what I use.

Reminds me that not having a grill (or smoker) sucks.....

Superb looking ribs Coralkong. Bet they didn't last long. One tip I have is to go easy on the premade rib rubs. Reason being, many of them have a large amount of salt & sugar in 'em. I know of a few that have over 60% of their makeup being salt. A couple things can happen, usually with not so tasty effects. First is the meat gets oversalted. Salt needs to be in there, but not as much as you would think. Among other things, it tends to suck moisture out of the meat, making for a tougher dry rib. Secondly, it burns your tastebuds out. The next thing is too much sugar. What happens with thi is that it sucks up flavors from the smoke. Not bad, but once the sugar gets hot say above 300F, it starts to burn all the spices that are in the rub. Turns it bitter instead of sweet and none too appetizing..

I use the basics; salt, pepper, cumin, granulated garlic, paprika, a little brown sugar, and ground coffee.

As for soaking, it is true that the wood will not smoke until the water evaporates. I do prefer soaking because it keeps the chips above the bottom layer from drying out and burning too quickly. I have an electric smoker with a water pan and chip pan over the element, and my chips last twice as long when I soak them as when I don't, and I get consistent smoke. With dry chips you get an initial blast of heavy smoke that tapers off after all the chips are oxidized, and the chips are toast within an hour. With soaked chips the bottom layer oxidizes but the upper layers do not. I stir my chips about every hour and add/remove ash every third hour at 140-150F.

Gotta have some garlic and ginger in there too. Also, a bit of rosemary adds a little something special.

Picked some of the meat off the leftover ribs last night and made a rib-meat, pepper jack, brown mustard and onion sammich on a hoagie roll.

Damn.

I'm just sad there aren't more leftover, but hey, I guess that means they were good, right?
:wink:

Picked some of the meat off the leftover ribs last night and made a rib-meat, pepper jack, brown mustard and onion sammich on a hoagie roll.

Damn.

I'm just sad there aren't more leftover, but hey, I guess that means they were good, right?
:wink:

So you know what the next step is right? Go buy a fresh shoulder or pork butt and cook that up. Not only are they cheaper than ribs, but there is more yummy meat. Here's some inspiration for ya! This shot was from a couple years back, and it was one of the best shoulder cooks I ever had. The bones pulled out of the meat cleanly with only the slightest bit of resistance. The skin cap was pretty much intact too, I had that nice layer of almost rendered fat once I peeled it off.

IMG_2354SMENH.jpg

Back