BBQ jam

jbj

Poor old Geordie's array...
I want to get a decent bbq. I have a cheap, franky rubbish thing I bought for a one off party last year which is going in the bin once I pull it out of the shed.

However, I know there's plenty of bbq gurus on here so wanted your ideas.

I like the idea of a coal fired one and could get a really cool half drum type thing cheap just now

But then they take bloody forever to use so I'd probably get more use out of a gas fired one.

But then isn't a gas fired one just a convoluted way of grilling stuff in your oven?

Thoughts, ideas, inspiration?

I am a big fan of charcoal over gas, but gas does have some advantages and if it means you would use it more often, it might be worth a serious look.

A lot depends on what kind of cooking you want to do. Low and slow smoking/barbecuing? High-heat searing of steaks etc.? Medium temp fish n chicken n cannibal human tenderloin? All of the above?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tig
I'll be in the market soon too so I'm interested to here what the BBQ Gurus say as well. I know charcoal is preferred in a lot of cases but we can have spare the air days that ask you not to burn charcoal...yeah I know I could say screw them but I breathe that air too so I try to do my part (no burning no running gas lawn equip etc) So I'll be looking for a gas one but I don't need one of those cadillac versions with the sauce warmers on the side and enough BTU's to run a small country for a week. Just reliable and good uniform heating

Get the gas fired one. You can use it to bbq by making a packet of water soaked wood chips in tin foil (the heavy duty stuff) throw that packet on a burner and let the smoke begin.
When not doing the bbq thing,you have a grill that can be used to cook tasty dead animals quickly.

Had both a gas grill and a charcoal grill. Now, just charcoal. I'll setup the coals in a chimney starter then place it over a light wax fire starter...go in and prep my food for the grill. By the time I have the food ready, the coals are screaming hot and ready to go. Weber grill $75, chimney starter $15, fire starters $4, bag of lump charcoal $7...done.

If you're single/couple, I can't see charcoal being a good way to go. I use my charcoal unit for big groups and cooking rituals (Sunday pork butt or something), but the little gas number for almost everyday cooking in the summer.

Weber-Performer-Gas-Grill.jpg

Just get a Weber.

Propane is for heating not eating.

Check out BBQ Pit Boys. They are all charcoal and have amazing recipes. Sure, It takes longer to cook (like HOURS longer) but man! It's Guuud!

I get a small $99 gas unit at Lowes or Home Depot and replace it every 4-5 years when it wears out.
Cook on it just about every day in the summer.
We have a small Weber charcoal grill too. Use it for something special like Salmon or a really nice steak.
And yea the chimney starter is the ticket.

My vote would be for a Weber Kettle. Very affordable and one of the best cooking machines ever created. If you are getting a gas grill, I suggest spending the money and getting something decent, like a Weber.

Some background. I cook outside A LOT. I have charcoal grills, gas grills, smokers and a pig roaster. I've done competitions and started a bbq company. I've backed off on all of that stuff but still am passionate about cooking outside. I used to own a Weber gas grill and found it to be amazing as gas grills go. No hot spots, no flare ups as long as I kept it reasonably clean, great warranty, durable and just fantastic all around. I gave it away to a family that needed it because my father in law gave me his grill. I used it until it finally wore out.

I then bought a Weber Kettle but I got a larger one because I typically cook for large groups or I cook multiple things at the same time so I dont have to cook as much during the week. I bought a cheap gas grill because I figured maybe I there would be times I didnt want to go through the hassle of using the charcoal. The cheap gas grill sucks to cook on. Flares up like it's crazy and doesnt cook even. Therefore I have used it 3 times in the last year. And it turns out that with a chimney and good fire starters it is just as easy to use the charcoal.

Another tip. After cooking, close down all of the vents completely. This will make the fire go out and conserve a lot of the coals in the grill. Next time, just use the cleanout on the bottom to get rid of the ash and small pieces and you are left with a pile of useable coals. Now you just need to light maybe a half a chimney of new coals and put them on top. Let those get the old coals going while you prepare the meat. I also usually only have coals on one side of the grill so I have a hot side and a less hot side. Or maybe 60/40 or 70/30 but I always leave a bail out spot.

In summary, if you want the gas grill, buy a good one. Cheap grills just aren't worth the hassle. Or, as mentioned, you can get a Weber Kettle charcoal grill for cheap. They are absolutely amazing and with a chimney and good fire starters, they are just as easy and fast as gas.

^What Johhnny N. said.

I had a quality gas fueled infrared grill that did a nice job of keeping meats moist, but it was a major pain to clean up afterward.
I sold it and bought a Weber 22" Kettle for $149 and never looked back. Much easier to clean and the only pain is needing to start the coals early enough for meal timing.

16422758055_3a70fa06ed_b.jpg

Now I'm hungry.

+1

Those steaks look dynamite.

Me, too! drool0 That was the Super Bowl meal. The local Kroger has them on sale one day a week and these ran about $14 for the three.

I should have mentioned that the charcoal grilled steaks taste better than the infrared grill could ever cook. I marinade them in the fridge for a few hours with a little worchestire, some liquid smoke, and Nolan Ryan's Steak Seasoning.

Last edited:
Gas = instant gratification.
Charcoal = a procedure and much more of an "event".

Disclaimer, I am not arguing, I just love talking about cooking.

Some people will argue that it doesn't take any more time to cook with charcoal than it does with gas. Although I am definitely a charcoal guy, I will admit that isnt true. But the difference isnt that much as long as you are set up for it.

As others have mentioned, a chimney makes charcoal life much easier. I use the Weber fire starter cubes with mine and it gets the fire going quick. A chimney is ready in somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes depending on how much you put in it. A half chimney might be just short of 15 and a full one might go over 20. So once the chimney is ready, if you are cooking a small amount you are pretty much ready to go. If I am cooking a lot, I dump the chimney on top of unlit coals and let those get happy another 5-10 minutes. So basically I am cooking on charcoal anywhere from 15-30 minutes after I light a fire. I use that time to make a nice drink and prepare the meat for the grill, cut veggies, etc. I suspect a gas grill is ready in 10 minutes or so? So it is a difference but not a huge one and not as much work as it sounds if you have your routine down.

My original thought for getting the gas grill was I would use it during the week and the coal on the weekend. I have found that it is just as easy to just light a chimney and cook on charcoal during the week too. My gas grill doesnt get much use at all. Aside from that, a good charcoal grill, and I cant recommend the Weber kettle strongly enough, is around $100 and I think you need to spend around $500 to get to the minimum level of gas grill worth having. I spent $300 on my kettle but it is the 27+ inch version.

Anyone have one of those Green Egg things?

I've had one for 3-4 years now. It is probably the greatest cooking-related purchase I have ever made. Great for low-and-slow, great for high-heat searing and pizza, and plenty of stuff in between. Very quick startup and economical use of charcoal also.

Disadvantages are price, weight and limited grill area; those who cook for big groups probably need something else (although it does come in a new monster size now).

I wasn't going to recommend a BGE to the OP without knowing what his priorities are.

Back