Battlefield One

jbj

Poor old Geordie's array...
Anyone playing?

I've not had a fps since call of duty modern warfare I think it was (one of the earlier ones, came after World at War) and I plowed a lot of hours into it.

I picked this up the other day and have been trying to find time to get into it. I'm playing it on the hardest difficulty so it's not just a case of running through the missions like Rambo and I've just resubbed my Live Gold membership so I can play it online now.

I ordered a PS4 just to get this game. The console and the game will be here tomorrow and i plan on spending a big chunk of my long Thanksgiving Day wekend playing

I played the beta and am now enjoying the full game. Mostly play the multiplayer mode. I enjoy noting the ridiculous names teenage boy assign themselves. Yesterday I was killed by "fingerblaster-18" and "gyno-boi-14"

I played the beta and I've been playing the final version a bit. My work schedule hasn't given me much time to play, but so far it is pretty fun.

Got a quick game in before dinner and I suck :grin:

I like that it's a lot less arcadey than CoD - you have to have a proper think about what you're doing and where you're going.

Got a quick game in before dinner and I suck :grin:

I like that it's a lot less arcadey than CoD - you have to have a proper think about what you're doing and where you're going.

Yes, and being a squad of qualified players is important as well. Tactics and playing objectives is much more critical than a lot of other FPS games. It is entirely possible to have a K/D ratio of like 3/25 and top the score board in BF1 if you focus on objective gameplay. I'm very experienced with the franchise and I'm feeling lucky if I get in the top 5 scorers on my side and have a K/D of around 1. Play the objectives, play cautiously, and always try for flanks. If you go straight into a face to face gunfight, you probably will lose.

So had a go at multiplayer properly.

Excellent stuff, conquest is nuts and pigeons os fun .

I totally see what you mean by working towards the objectives.

Is it worth getting a headset?

So had a go at multiplayer properly.

Excellent stuff, conquest is nuts and pigeons os fun .

I totally see what you mean by working towards the objectives.

Is it worth getting a headset?

I use one when I play.

Most multiplayer in public servers is silent as far as team communication goes. Every once and a while you get a team where a few or even all the people have headsets and one person kind of breaks the ice and then you have a team that is absolutely dominant in a match as they share info and plan tactics. Imagine how good your squad would be with a support player laying down covering fire as the assault players flank both sides of an enemy position. If you have a headset you can put stuff like that into action. Even if the rest of your team stays silent, being able to tell them their is a tank parked on objective C is helpful info. Just use the default "push alt" to talk.

Another thing that might help is playing around with your mouse sensitivity in the game settings. I found the default was set way too high for an 800 dpi mouse and my aim really suffered as a result. It is worth playing around with that to get it where aiming is comfortable. While you are in the settings, change your HUD crosshairs to something like orange or neon yellow, as the white gets washed out too easily. This will help you with hipfire aiming .

The final tip I have is to learn the maps. Novice players follow the same routes between points, pause in the same areas, camp the same spots, and try the same tactics. After playing for a while you can learn these and have a reasonably good situational awareness of what is probably going to happen in games.

Last edited:
*cough* playing on xbox one *cough* :grin:

Fiance is in bed so ive hooked up my bose cans I use for DJing.
I wont be able to talk but I should hear the chat and the music sounds fucking awesome on them.

Quite the tax write off :grin:

The graphics are really impressive. The gameplay is not really different than BF4. I mean, the weapons have changed, which impacts some of the tactics, but, really they gameplay is pretty much BF4.

The single player campaign took about 6-8 hours to complete, so if you don't like online FPS combat, I wouldn't bother buying it.

The graphics are really impressive. The gameplay is not really different than BF4. I mean, the weapons have changed, which impacts some of the tactics, but, really they gameplay is pretty much BF4.

The single player campaign took about 6-8 hours to complete, so if you don't like online FPS combat, I wouldn't bother buying it.

I've not played a BF game since 1942 (I think?) on my laptop years ago and it was just the online maps things I bought so I've no frame of reference.

touch wood it doesn't seem like you can quick scope in it which used to do my fucking pan in CoD when you had 12 year olds killing you from miles away.

i have been getting my ass handed to me in Multi player but i LOVE this game

As a newb to BF on consoles I'm actually doing not too bad - not hitting the top 5 or anythign but I'm regularly landing in the top 10-30 which for a game with 60 odd folk playing isn't too shabby.

It sucks when your squad is shit though - after getting a bit of hubris and thinking I had the game down, I just landed myself in a squad of CoD maniacs who didn't seem to get the point of the game was to capture bases.

I had a bloody medic on my squad runnign around on my kill screen for 20 seconds - IT ACTUALLY TELLS YOU HOW CLOSE THEY ARE TO YOU TO THE METRE and the halfwit ran away.

As a newb to BF on consoles I'm actually doing not too bad - not hitting the top 5 or anythign but I'm regularly landing in the top 10-30 which for a game with 60 odd folk playing isn't too shabby.

It sucks when your squad is shit though - after getting a bit of hubris and thinking I had the game down, I just landed myself in a squad of CoD maniacs who didn't seem to get the point of the game was to capture bases.

I had a bloody medic on my squad runnign around on my kill screen for 20 seconds - IT ACTUALLY TELLS YOU HOW CLOSE THEY ARE TO YOU TO THE METRE and the halfwit ran away.

Lol. About 70 percent of medics fail to do their jobs. I play medic a lot, and you can easily top the scoreboard reviving and dropping meds. I spent about 5 minutes following a support player trying by to get him drop ammo this afternoon.

Last edited:
Lol. About 70 percent of medics fail to do their jobs. I play medic a lot, and you can easily top the scoreboard reviving and dropping mess. I spent about 5 minutes following a support player trying by to get him drop ammo this afternoon.

I got a pm from someone when I was support saying: Wtf...AMMO!!!!

I'd been chucking it out there anytime the little press whatever to drop ammo prompt came up but is there an actual strategy? It just seemed like I could randomly toss ammo at guys :shrug:

I got a pm from someone when I was support saying: Wtf...AMMO!!!!

I'd been chucking it out there anytime the little press whatever to drop ammo prompt came up but is there an actual strategy? It just seemed like I could randomly toss ammo at guys :shrug:

When I play support I pretty much constantly drop ammo. Anytime I'm near team mates, like capping a flag, I drop ammo, requested or not. You get points for when people walk over the ammo pack, and it really helps your team when the assault players have the ammo and grenades they need to push on or hold. I also drop ammo when I move along common routes on the map. Someone on your team will likely appreciate it when they move through the same area.

When people have the little icon for ammo with an exclamation point flashing over their head you get extra points for resupplying them, especially if they are in your squad.

Anyway, you can't drop too much ammo and it doesn't cost anything, so drop it constantly. You get points even if the person next you just gets a few rounds of ammo, same as if it was a full recharge.

Ah I thought I could only drop it when I got the prompt.

Seems megacoxxjohn69 was right to chastise me :grin:

Ah I thought I could only drop it when I got the prompt.

Seems megacoxxjohn69 was right to chastise me :grin:

You may have also noticed people on your team clubbing/melee attacking you when they walk by. That is the BF1 silent signal for "drop ammo, you idiot".

Back