Bass playing.

GreatDane

"up yours, baby."
From my earliest days learning guitar, i was also learning bass too. my younger brother, upon learning i was going to start guitar lessons, convinced my mother to let him take bass lessons. that necessitated having both instruments in the house, so it was easy to pick up both at different times. i remember pissing my brother off when i learned how to play "anesthesia: pulling teeth" on his bass. i would take breaks from right-hand picking techniques on guitar to learning right hand finger style on bass. i remember wearing out a Billy Sheehan instructional video.

I stuck with guitar as my go-to instrument all through grade school. when i got to college, i made the decision to put the guitar down for a while and focus entirely on bass playing. this was due to a few circumstances: i attended a college that had an amazing music school where amazing guitarists were a dime a dozen and it felt like a crowded scene; there were also a lot of bassists, but they were mostly focused on jazz and classical, with fewer electric bassists willing to play the kinds of music i was into and was looking to form a band around; a couple of my earliest friends at college were bassists and had amazing chops and were willing to teach me some fairly advanced techniques (whereas the guitarists seemed to be less "generous").

i eventually graduated to the fretless 4-string electric bass. what an amazing and challenging instrument. it really does have a voice all its own. i opted for fretless because it was a fun challenge, but it was also unique enough where people took notice, but could fit into a more conventional musical format (e.g. rock, funk, R&B).

i didn't have a job and had very little money, but i landed on an Ibanez SR-400FL in black. i played it with round-wound rotosound light gauge strings. i played it so much that i wore grooves into the fretboard. i played exclusively finger-style, and played it so much that i wore a groove into the top section of the P pickup, and wore through the poly finish and into the wood (a la Jaco). i played that thing until i sweat so frequently that i corroded the hardware and hazed the finish. it was probably a shitty bass all along, but i didn't know or care and it did what i needed it to.

i played NYC, NJ, CT, NH, ME and MA with that bass. i played a halloween party in some shitty rec hall in MA where a guy was booting heroin in the bathroom stall next to me while i was taking a piss. i played a basement party in Fairfield CT where a guy wouldn't leave me alone for hours after our show because he was shit-faced and couldn't stop telling me how much he loved my playing and how i sounded like Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. i played that bass at the Spring Fling event in University of Maine where each of us was paid $1K for a 60 minute set and we thought we were fucking rockstars and bought a ton of beer and invited a bunch of stupid chicks back to our hotel room and drank and were young and self-absorbed and it was hilarious.

after college, i got back into guitar. i remembered how much i loved it, and have primarily considered myself a guitarist ever since. recently, i've been thinking about trying my luck getting back into a live situation and am thinking that marketing myself as a bassist might yield more opportunities. i sold off the ibanez 400FL shortly after college, but i have a P-bass and an Ibanez SR-800 in the house (both fretted). i'm thinking about tracking down a decent fretless electric again. we'll see what happens...

how about you? What's your story?

I used to go to a lot of old Country/Gospel jams,and no one played bass. I thought what the heck I'll do it. I loved it. Then played bass in two Christian Rock bands (not at the same time but one after the other. Got numerous offers to join other bands just because they found out I played bass,skills unknown. Had a MIA Precision Deluxe bass-awesome bass. Had to sell it and haven't played bass since-been 4 years.

I play a little bass. I play a Hofner, it's the littlest bass I could find. :rim:

I played bass at the only gig our garage band ever had. The bass player got grounded the night before the gig so I sat up most of the night learning the bass lines on the bottom 4 strings of my Harmony Bobcat. I still cringe at the thought of that gig.

If I had started on bass as a teenager, which I should have, I’d probably have ended up a professional musician in a nu-metal band. So maybe it’s a good thing that I went with guitar. Anyway, I love bass. I often think of just giving up guitar and focusing on bass. But I have so much money invested in guitars that I just can’t stop. If nothing else I usually play bass before guitar just to warm up and stretch my fretting hand.

I love the bass.I am really a bassist that dicks around on the guitar.
The fish is not much fun at tv volumes at home.
When I was in a band ,learning songs for band practice at home was fun.
Playing and learning songs for fun just isn't fun now.

I took bass lessons in middle school, and played in a high school metal band for a while. I would have stuck with it maybe, but I've been blessed to play with great bassists in every band I've been in. So, I ended up playing either guitar or drums in every band since. Maybe if I had just stuck with one, I'd be good at one of them. I picked up a G&L ASAT bass fairly recently, just to have around. It's fun to play. I kind of want a short scale Fender, too.

Ben, my buddy had a fretless Jazz Bass he was selling. MIJ, I think, with upgraded electronics. Want me to see if he still has it?

I took bass lessons in middle school, and played in a high school metal band for a while. I would have stuck with it maybe, but I've been blessed to play with great bassists in every band I've been in. So, I ended up playing either guitar or drums in every band since. Maybe if I had just stuck with one, I'd be good at one of them. I picked up a G&L ASAT bass fairly recently, just to have around. It's fun to play. I kind of want a short scale Fender, too.

Ben, my buddy had a fretless Jazz Bass he was selling. MIJ, I think, with upgraded electronics. Want me to see if he still has it?
Hey Jesse! Yes, please.

I bought my MIM Precision in the fall of 2001, used for $200. Within two weeks, I had my first bass student. I've always been a pick bassist and always had my own style, it just took me 13 years to realize it. Playing in The Stand-Ins this year has helped me to focus what I want to accomplish on the instrument. Moving to the short scale Reverend also helped, as it's the first bass I've felt comfortable and also sounded confident on. But I'm no longer vainly focused on a fingering technique I'm not comfortable with, just because I'm supposed to. Just being able to play the damn thing and sound good has allowed me to stay comfortable with the instrument and play the best parts possible. And that's really what it's about.

I play a little bass. I play a Hofner, it's the littlest bass I could find. :rim:

I played bass at the only gig our garage band ever had. The bass player got grounded the night before the gig so I sat up most of the night learning the bass lines on the bottom 4 strings of my Harmony Bobcat. I still cringe at the thought of that gig.

that's funny. i've had a couple of similar experiences where i get the call through a friend from a band that has a gig in 72 hours and needs a guitarist to fill-in. it's usually along the lines of: "here's our CD. can you learn all these songs, along with four cover tunes that i'll have to email you youtube links to?"

I bought my MIM Precision in the fall of 2001, used for $200. Within two weeks, I had my first bass student. I've always been a pick bassist and always had my own style, it just took me 13 years to realize it. Playing in The Stand-Ins this year has helped me to focus what I want to accomplish on the instrument. Moving to the short scale Reverend also helped, as it's the first bass I've felt comfortable and also sounded confident on. But I'm no longer vainly focused on a fingering technique I'm not comfortable with, just because I'm supposed to. Just being able to play the damn thing and sound good has allowed me to stay comfortable with the instrument and play the best parts possible. And that's really what it's about.

i'm interested in hearing your basslines and pick technique - gotta remember to listen to the music in your sig link!

I started playing guitar in 1970. A year later my brother took up the bass. I taught him what I knew from a guitarists perspective (basic music theory) but he took off on his own. He was soon gigging heavily. In the Blues/R&B arena he has gigged with Sugar Blue (harmonica on "Miss You"- the Rolling Stones), Matt "Guitar" Murphy (Memphis Slim, Blues Brothers), Johnny Johnson (Chuck Berry's pianist in the 1950's), Jimmy Johnson (Delmark and Alligator recording artist), Screaming Jay Hawkins ("I Put a Spell on You"), Dave Spector (Delmark) and others. He has also worked with national acts doing tours with Survivor ("Eye of the Tiger"), Spirit ("I Got a Line On You"), and gigs with the Coasters, Drifters, Martha Reeves, the Shangri- Las, and Sam Moore (Sam & Dave). In addition he has appeared on over 25 recordings including recent discs with James Burton ( session guitarist extrordanaire and Elvis Presley's guitarist 1970-'77). He has toured the world extensively and recorded at Abbey Road studios. I still say that I taught him the bass and laugh, but he still comes to me with questions on harmony and chords. I have played quite a bit of bass both live and in the studio and you all are right, it is a completely different beast. I enjoy bass playing and have to consciously concentrate on locking with the kick drum and playing the right things for the song.

I started playing guitar in 1970. A year later my brother took up the bass. I taught him what I knew from a guitarists perspective (basic music theory) but he took off on his own. He was soon gigging heavily. In the Blues/R&B arena he has gigged with Sugar Blue (harmonica on "Miss You"- the Rolling Stones), Matt "Guitar" Murphy (Memphis Slim, Blues Brothers), Johnny Johnson (Chuck Berry's pianist in the 1950's), Jimmy Johnson (Delmark and Alligator recording artist), Screaming Jay Hawkins ("I Put a Spell on You"), Dave Spector (Delmark) and others. He has also worked with national acts doing tours with Survivor ("Eye of the Tiger"), Spirit ("I Got a Line On You"), and gigs with the Coasters, Drifters, Martha Reeves, the Shangri- Las, and Sam Moore (Sam & Dave). In addition he has appeared on over 25 recordings including recent discs with James Burton ( session guitarist extrordanaire and Elvis Presley's guitarist 1970-'77). He has toured the world extensively and recorded at Abbey Road studios. I still say that I taught him the bass and laugh, but he still comes to me with questions on harmony and chords. I have played quite a bit of bass both live and in the studio and you all are right, it is a completely different beast. I enjoy bass playing and have to consciously concentrate on locking with the kick drum and playing the right things for the song.

Great to see you here, Stomias! You and I did a collaboration a while back on HCEG and I contributed the bass, ironically.

I high school, I started playing guitar. I found out a friend of mine also played guitar. We got together to jam and he told me I was better than him, so he was going to sell his guitar and buy a drum kit so we could start a band. Then I found out another one of my friends played guitar so we decided to jam. He was better than me, so I sold my guitar to buy a bass and the 3 of us started a band. Ever since then, I have gone back and forth from guitar to bass depending on the gig. For me, I never cared to be the next superstar player, I just wanted to make some cool music, so if someone wants me to play the triangle, I will if I dig the music.

Back when my crowd was starting out, I was glad to switch to bass when needed. It's been a long time, though, and now I find a lot more satisfaction playing with a great bass player than playing bass.

Back