Baseball fans - Just over a week 'till opening day.

Denverdave

Resident Ragamuffin
How is your team going to do this year?

The Rockies won only 66 games last year. Their two best players were hurt, but still no excuses. So what did they do to improve?

1. Moved their AAA team out of Colorado Springs. This actually will help. The stadium in the Springs was terrible. They quit sending their best pitchers to play there at all so they were promoting up to the bigs from AA. The new AAA team location is Albuquerque.

2. Beefed up the bullpen a bit. That will help. They had about the worst bullpen in the majors last year.

3. Personnel wise they went and got a couple better role players.

4. Completely new front office.

Otherwise - nothing. And this in a division with the Giants (three WS wins in last 5 years), Dodgers (West Coast Yankees), San Diego (made a serious effort to upgrade the team) and Arizona (even more 'meh' than the Rocks).

So - what so I expect? Well - if both Tulo and CarGo stay healthy the entire season (historically unlikely) and have excellent seasons add another 6 - 8 wins. They have two very good starting pitchers that might be ready sometime this season (Grey, Butler) and that will help (another 6 wins potentially). . But the starting day rotation is mediocre at best. They already had to cut one of their projected starters because he was terrible. So they have no depth in the starting rotation at all. They have one of the best fielding infields in baseball when Tulo is healthy. They have a good offense and a potential stud of a player in Dickerson.

So - best case scenario. Tulo and CarGo stay healthy. Grey and Butler are up and productive by midseason. I can see a potential improvement of 14 games - or 80 wins. Max. Funny - that is still not a winning record and that would probably close to the maximum potential of this team. Maybe 85 wins if they overachieve which will still not make the playoffs.

My actual prediction? Tulo stays semi-healthy and plays about 130 - 140 games. Cargo plays more than Tulo but nagging injuries make his numbers very average. Grey and Butler are both up by July due to injuries and both have an up and down season but are effective. I am predicting 75 - 78 wins and 4th in the division again. The front office will trumpet the improvement in the team and do next to nothing next off season. Again.

Being a Rockies fan means accepting mediocrity because the ownership accepts that as a acceptable outcome as long as they make money.

I'm stoked, because good or bad, at least I can watch the Astros on TV this year. Stupid cable wars cost me two seasons. :mad:

As far as our prospects go, all I'm counting on is that they will be better than the last couple of seasons. It's a wait and see kinda thing.

Reactions: Tig
I'm stoked, because good or bad, at least I can watch the Astros on TV this year. Stupid cable wars cost me two seasons. :mad:

As far as our prospects go, all I'm counting on is that they will be better than the last couple of seasons. It's a wait and see kinda thing.

Yeah, the 'stros are starting to gel and they acquired some solid talent in the off season unless you include Chris Carter. :embarrassed:

The Rockies will be mathematically eliminated by May.:grin:
I still plan on going to a bunch of games. I get tickets for a dollar a piece.

Concerned about injuries, looking forward to some pitching clinics. We'll make the playoffs, and then immediately flame out.

washington-nationals-logo.png

Concerned about injuries, looking forward to some pitching clinics. We'll make the playoffs, and then immediately flame out.

View attachment 19770

I have to make it to a game or 2 this year. I keep saying I am going to go, then end up missing the season. It looks like the Skins will continue to stink for the foreseeable future, I think it is time to go all in with another DC team.

I have to make it to a game or 2 this year. I keep saying I am going to go, then end up missing the season. It looks like the Skins will continue to stink for the foreseeable future, I think it is time to go all in with another DC team.
Let me know...I'm usually good for 3 or 4 games a year. Sometimes I just get the cheapest available and head up to the outfield bar.

The Rockies don't have a chance. The Mets will win more than 81 games, but not make the Wild Card.

I totally agree with the first part. This time last season they said that if they had another poor season then major changes would happen. They sucked bad. the ONLY major change was firing the GMs (yeah...they had two) and promoting one of the assistants internally to the job with no search outside the organization at all. At least this GM did not feel the need to put his office in the freakin' locker room like the last asshat GM did.

Wow, Mets traded with the Padres for Alex Torres, lefty reliever. Mets give up chronically hurt prospect Cory Mazzoni and a PTBNL.

My Padres made an unprecedented number of trades and aquisitions during the off season in a clear attempt at making the team competitive.

I am very encouraged by the apparent passion the new regime has for winning.

I also haven't got the foggiest clue whether any of their wheeling and dealing will result in better season than the past several.

I am reserving judgement for now.

Back