BASEBALL!!! 2016 Official Thread

This part is a part I really need to study if I watch some games. I admit my knowledge here is lacking. The side show traditions are less important.

It gets really crazy trying to understand what pitch is correct for the situation. This is where your catcher really matters. He is the QB. He calls the pitch and location based on the count, runners on base, and many other factors. Then the pitcher has to deliver. The next pitch could be a completely different situation. This is where having a competent color man in the broadcast booth is critical for fans trying to learn the nuances of the game. We are very lucky in SF having a former starting pitcher who played catcher in college, with a deep understanding of the game and the ability to explain what the pitcher and catcher are thinking, and why. It really changed the way I watch the game.

This is where having a competent color man in the broadcast booth is critical for fans trying to learn the nuances of the game.
Here is a recording of our long time color guy. He passed not too long ago. he was well loved. Whether he got into the nuances very much, I frankly don't remember, as I moved over here a long time ago.

Whether you like Macklemore or not, he captures the feeling Niehaus gave back in the day, at least when it was a good Mariners day.

Kinda too bad we are pretty much still talking about '95 in Seattle.

Mr. Niehaus was fun to listen to though.

Kinda like Bob Blackburn, then Kevin Callabro with the Supersonics.

For a stretch, it seemed like all MLB teams became farm teams for the Yankees. It is always nice to see the Yankees lose due to their common 'buy all outstanding players' strategy.

For a stretch, it seemed like all MLB teams became farm teams for the Yankees. It is always nice to see the Yankees lose due to their common 'buy all outstanding players' strategy.
They haven't been buying the outstanding players because they're trying to get under the salary cap penalty. Lots of money will come off the books when A-Rod, Texiera, and CC finally retire.

They haven't been buying the outstanding players because they're trying to get under the salary cap penalty. Lots of money will come off the books when A-Rod, Texiera, and CC finally retire.
Despite his skill, I don't miss A-Rod. In Fairness, Texas teams picked off some M's back in that time too. (A-rod, the Big Unit).

Reactions: Tig
Who cares? Watch the game and and learn the many different ways pitchers tip their pitches. It's much more entertaining.

I care because right now the game is still a ballgame and not entertainment like "are you ready to Partay, a Monday night FOOOOOTBall" I'd rather it stay a BALLgame first and fforemaost and not just another entertainment spectacle but that will probably never happen because most of society these days does not have the attention span to sit through a game...then again if some bloke is walking out to the batters box and "99 problems" is blaring over the radio and he's got his helmet on backwards then just then the 'mericuhn public might take interest and get together for pa partay.,..:mad: *spits*

I care because right now the game is still a ballgame and not entertainment like "are you ready to Partay, a Monday night FOOOOOTBall" I'd rather it stay a BALLgame first and fforemaost and not just another entertainment spectacle but that will probably never happen because most of society these days does not have the attention span to sit through a game...then again if some bloke is walking out to the batters box and "99 problems" is blaring over the radio and he's got his helmet on backwards then just then the 'mericuhn public might take interest and get together for paths.,..:mad: *spits*

Sounds like your problem is with how society has changed, and not the game. Lighten up, Francis.

Ball gets caught in a cat walk
041316_cle_lindor_silly_med_ncdpxdjm.gif

I care because right now the game is still a ballgame and not entertainment like "are you ready to Partay, a Monday night FOOOOOTBall" I'd rather it stay a BALLgame first and fforemaost and not just another entertainment spectacle but that will probably never happen because most of society these days does not have the attention span to sit through a game...then again if some bloke is walking out to the batters box and "99 problems" is blaring over the radio and he's got his helmet on backwards then just then the 'mericuhn public might take interest and get together for pa partay.,..:mad: *spits*

I have no problem with batters getting their own walk on music at home, or pitchers either. I have yet to see a non catcher wear a backwards batting helmet, but if I do I would ridicule him mercilessly.

I agree that the game needs to stick to it's traditions as a ball game, but some of those traditions include a bit of spectacle.

Well - the Rockies are 4 - 4, but I am really not sure how.

The team ERA right now is 7.61 and the opponents BA is .330. Pitching wise that is about as bad as it gets. Bullpen will probably be done by the end of July this year instead of the end of August.

Mariners fans are not happy. Not happy at all. I heard something about them being called unloyal. If one identifies as a Mariners fan still, I think one can be considered loyal, all things considered. I did see one person suggest that if the M's were not any better by June, that they should trade King Felix to the Cubs.

Well - the Rockies are 4 - 4, but I am really not sure how.

The team ERA right now is 7.61 and the opponents BA is .330. Pitching wise that is about as bad as it gets. Bullpen will probably be done by the end of July this year instead of the end of August.

Story. End of Story.

Mariners won one against Cleveland and are up again 5-0 in the middle of the 5th today. Go M's!

And ps, Cleveland, change your team name.

Story is not that good on defense. He seems to blow a lot of double play chances.
He better fix that before his hitting slumps.

Back