BASEBALL!!! 2016 Official Thread

I must be watching a different game than you guys. Interesting is a pitcher learning a new pitch and dominating with it. Interesting is watching fielding shifts and how hitters attempt to defy them. Interesting is watching a team tear it down and build it back up over the course of a decade. Interesting is a seemingly innocuous minor league signing becoming a major contributor, and a big time free agent sucking. And that stuff is the tip of the iceberg. It's a beautiful game. You should watch it sometime.

I do like all the above, and then some. I have learned a hell of a lot about situational pitching watching the Giants, and more importantly listening to Mike Krukow. He is the best color man in the game IMHO. What pitch, release point, location and speed, depending on the situation on the field, who is at bat, the pitch count, the umps particular strike zone, the particular pitcher and batter combination, etc. THAT is interesting, and lost on many fans. Strike or ball is all many seem to see. It's a shame because they are missing most of the game. I feel sorry for people who think Joe Buck is a good announcer.

All the other stuff in earlier posts is just conversational fodder. munch0

Reactions: OGG
Well it is not going to last, but it is fun watching Trevor Story make history with the Rox right now. I have been following him in the minors for a few years and knew he was going to be good, but figured he would be up later this season - like in the fall. It will be interesting to see what they do with Jose Reyes now. You gotta have something to root for when you are a fan of a team doomed to lose 90 games.

I like tradion in the game. Not interesting is watching a guy wear his ballcap like this http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1ypRR...ith-Zipper-Black-Baseball-Cap-Bboy-font-b.jpg, not interesting is watching the Dbacks unveil seven new uniforms (how about just a home and and away uniform), not interesting is watching guys walk up to the plate to hit with their favoriye song on the PA and then batting with the latest and greatest bat designed by Apple or Samsung which adjusts to the batters swing style (is the wooden bat tradition that bad), not interesting is watching a 3rd inning text/facebook seesion "stretch" so the fans AND the players can keep up to date. Change for change sake to fit whatever current trend is not necessarily good. Change in life is necessary and good but too much and the balance get's thrown off. There should be a balance ....Baseball tradion is a good balance when everything else in the world is at a lightning speed change pace. :embarrassed:ldman" :getoffmylawn:

I like tradion in the game. Not interesting is watching a guy wear his ballcap like this http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1ypRR...ith-Zipper-Black-Baseball-Cap-Bboy-font-b.jpg, not interesting is watching the Dbacks unveil seven new uniforms (how about just a home and and away uniform), not interesting is watching guys walk up to the plate to hit with their favoriye song on the PA and then batting with the latest and greatest bat designed by Apple or Samsung which adjusts to the batters swing style (is the wooden bat tradition that bad), not interesting is watching a 3rd inning text/facebook seesion "stretch" so the fans AND the players can keep up to date. Change for change sake to fit whatever current trend is not necessarily good. Change in life is necessary and good but too much and the balance get's thrown off. There should be a balance ....Baseball tradion is a good balance when everything else in the world is at a lightning speed change pace. :embarrassed:ldman" :getoffmylawn:
None of those thing have anything to do with the game being played on the field.

Ok, how about the Chase Utley rule? Common sense or a softening of the game?

I actually think this is a good rule. Slide to the base, not the player.

Reactions: Tig
Ok, how about the Chase Utley rule? Common sense or a softening of the game?

I actually think this is a good rule. Slide to the base, not the player.
I think that rule is fine. However, if a catcher is blocking the path to the plate, I think a base runner should be able to blow through him like Marshawn Lynch in Beast Mode.

Not content with simply crushing a 105 year old record for worst opening day humiliation, my Padres are now the ONLY TEAM IN MLB HISTORY to get shut out 3 times to start and season, AND now hold the all time record for most consecutive scoreless innings.

Baseball Fever: Catch it!

Not content with simply crushing a 105 year old record for worst opening day humiliation, my Padres are now the ONLY TEAM IN MLB HISTORY to get shut out 3 times to start and season, AND now hold the all time record for most consecutive scoreless innings.

Baseball Fever: Catch it!

Achievement Level Baseball. Thanks for putting the bums in first place. :mad: The Giants will have to schedule another no-no for Petco Park this year to show their appreciation. I always enjoy Giants @ Padres games because the Giants fans tend to fill as many or more seats than Pad's fans.:grin:

I think that rule is fine. However, if a catcher is blocking the path to the plate, I think a base runner should be able to blow through him like Marshawn Lynch in Beast Mode.

Sure, unless the catcher has the ball.

• A runner may not run out of a direct line to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher, or any player, covering the plate. If he does, the umpire can call him out even if the player taking the throw loses possession of the ball.

• The catcher may not block the pathway of a runner attempting to score unless he has possession of the ball. If the catcher blocks the runner before he has the ball, the umpire may call the runner safe.

• All calls will be based on the umpire's judgment. The umpire will consider such factors as whether the runner made an effort to touch the plate and whether he lowered his shoulder or used his hands, elbows or arms when approaching the catcher.

• Runners are not required to slide, and catchers in possession of the ball are allowed to block the plate. However, runners who do slide and catchers who provide the runner with a lane will never be found in violation of the rule.

None of those thing have anything to do with the game being played on the field.
are they not changes to the game though, changes of tradition :confused:.
I would also argue that the wooden bat vs alunimun/apple/samsung/silly putty bat would directly effect the game on the field.

Achievement Level Baseball. Thanks for putting the bums in first place. :mad: The Giants will have to schedule another no-no for Petco Park this year to show their appreciation. I always enjoy Giants @ Padres games because the Giants fans tend to fill as many or more seats than Pad's fans.:grin:

Thanks for reminding me of the fact that while no Padres pitcher has ever thrown a no-hitter, the team has been the victim of an inordinately high number of them.

Their generosity is limitless.

We'll always have Tony Gwynn though. No one can take that away. Over the course of two decades, Padres fans were treated with the ability to watch a true master at work everyday. A guy who elevated the game during some rough years, a guy who worked hard, always had a smile and time for the fans, a guy who never cheated, settled for millions of dollars less pay so he could stay in San Diego. The one modern era player that the late Ted Williams actually enjoyed interacting with.

Tony was as great an example of the complex beauty of the game of baseball as has ever been. I'll be at my first game this year a week from Sunday. As I have since his passing, I will stop at the Tony Gwynn statue and weep. I will tell my kids more stories about him and what made him so beloved.

Yes, the team sucks. They've never won the series, never accomplished a lot of MLB milestones, but despite an overabundance of lean years, I feel lucky to be here and be a lifetime fan.

We've had some magical times regardless of the two World Series losses. Getting to those series' both times was an epic journey.

We've also had some truly amazing players where the Padres uniform over the years, some for brief flashes, some for riding out the twilight years, some for entire careers.

As a kid, I watched Dave Winfield, Rollie Fingers, Randy Jones, Gaylord Perry, Ozzie Smith etc, a few years later it was Gary Templeton, Steve Garvey, Jack Clark, Joe Carter, Fred McGriff, Tony Fernandes, the Alomar brothers, Benito Santiago (you shall not steal second base!) Kevin Mitchell, Ken Caminitti, Kevin Brown, Adrian Gonzales and on and on.

It hasn't always been great, but it's always been fun.

Ah, the one that broke Busters ankle.

Cousins wasn't going for the plate, he was going toward Buster. How is that different that the Utley - Tejada collision?

The other fielders typically do not entirely block the entire pathway to the base, so the Utley rule addresses a different thing primarily, IMO. When catchers choose to do "block the plate", they do so at their peril. Is the opinion I am stating now. I can see the value in your compromise, but I also think that if a padded up catcher chooses to use the strategy of blocking the plate, he runs a risk. I used to admire the really tough ones that could do it well and take a hit or even deliver one to an oncoming runner.

are they not changes to the game though, changes of tradition :confused:.
I would also argue that the wooden bat vs alunimun/apple/samsung/silly putty bat would directly effect the game on the field.
MLB and their farm teams still use wood bats.

The Diamondbacks never had tradition in the first place.

MLB and their farm teams still use wood bats.

The Diamondbacks never had tradition in the first place.

I'm giving hypothetical situations......does the samsung or Apple bat exsist yet and do players walk up to the plate with JayZ blaring over the speakers cop0

I'm giving hypothetical situations......does the samsung or Apple bat exsist yet and do players walk up to the plate with JayZ blaring over the speakers cop0
Who cares? Watch the game and and learn the many different ways pitchers tip their pitches. It's much more entertaining.

After seeing the application of the Utley rule on Bautista the other day...they have to define it more clearly and apply it differently, though I think the line was definitely grey on that play and would still be grey under my own new definition and application.

I am saying 'tough call'.

Back