Bank Weirdness

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
I deal with a great, local bank. One branch across from my office, one branch near an old workplace. and another a bit east of where I live. A while back they announced that they were "merging" with another local bank that has about 5 branches, one not far from my home.

There had been a letter telling us what to expect during the changeover (my bank's identity being swallowed by the new one). They mentioned that I would get a new bank card but my account number would not change.

I got home from the office yesterday and find what looks like an advertising folder (one sheet of glossy card stock folded in half and sealed with tape). I open it and it has a form for my employer to tell them that I have a new bank routing number as of July 26th. I got this on the 28th. Since I am between semesters, I have time to let the employer know. But I also have to contact Social Security before they issue my next check, but I have time for that. The problem is that every week or so I get a direct deposit from the insurance company through a third-party payment system. I was supposed to get a deposit yesterday. I went on line last night and can't figure out how to change my account info. I have a break from 11:embarrassed:0 - 1:embarrassed:0; hopefully I can call them and find out what to do. But then. I am willing to bet that my bank card no longer works, and they have not yet sent the new one. I am not a happy camper.

The real kicker? I used to deal with this new bank and left them a few years ago for the one they just swallowed. :facepalm:

That sucks. Real PITA. I had a bad dealing with Wells Fargo many years ago. Really hated them. When I got my house mortgage the loan got sold before I even made my first payment,to guess who,WF. But they have been great so who knows. It sucks for now I'm sure but in a little time hopefully it works it's way out for you.

So -

I went to call the company who handles insurance payments - they are in the process of setting up my new account with the new routing number.

I go to the bank -they don't show a payment but tell me I have to go to the new bank's website for on-line banking.

I go to the website and try to log in and am told it isn't valid and am given a phone number. I call that and give them a bunch of information and they transfer the call. The nice lady there gives me a temporary password. I tell her I appreciate her kindness and help but mention my frustration around the changeover, especially with the routing number debacle. She says that the packet we were sent two months ago informed us that we would need to eventually change the routing number, but also explained that the old routing number would be accepted for a good while. I replied that was nice, but the piece I got in the mail didn't mention that it would be honored. She restated, well it was in that packet. I suggested that many of us don't have that type of memory to remember one sentence in a 12-page document we got two weeks ago. We parted on friendly terms.

I finally try to contact the insurance company and have to email them through a form. They were then nice enough to tell me they had a problem with the overall transfer of funds to the payment company, but they hope to have that settled "soon." So my money is not totally in limbo, and my current direct deposits should work. That's a relief.

Back