Band of Horses 7/28 - Northhampton, MA

speakerjones

my hat is all
Took the trip up to see these guys on a rare Monday night outing. It was supposed to be a band field trip, but there were sick spouses and childcare issues and it ended up being me and and my singer and his wife.

This was my second time seeing these guys and they were, once again, amazing. Great energy. The guitar changes were numerous, with 3 guys playing guitar at any given time, and each one of them switching for almost every song. The lead player seemed to favor a 335, a Guild SG-type thing, and a Jazzmaster, but also played a thinline Tele and an L6S. For amps he had a Marshall Head of some sort and a deluxe reverb. The singer played 3 different LP's. 2 customs and something else, along with a pedal steel, through a Marshall Bluesbreaker and a Vox AC15. The Keyboardist also played guitar on a bunch of songs. He used a Tele, LP Junior, and a Hagstrom Swede. I couldn't see his amp. The bassist switched between a P-bass and a Tele Bass. I couldn't tell what his amp was. It was big. Great sound at The Calvin Theater, too.

Even if you just kinda like these guys, I recommend catching a live show. It was a great time!

ydajatep.jpg

I'm not familiar with the band but I know Northampton MA. I used to live down the road from there in Hadley.

I like them and would love to see them live. Plus they have the greatest guitar tech ever.

Glad you enjoyed the show. I saw them at Lollapalooza last year. They were OK, but in fairness to them, it was the middle of the afternoon on Friday in a big outdoor stage. Not the best setting for any band. I think they would be better in a small club.

As for the gear, they had lots of cool guitars when I saw them, too.

I am not familiar with the group, but is sounds like a great show. Which venue was that?

It was the Calvin Theater. Nice place. I would definitely go to another show there. It's about an hour's drive, but I love Northampton.

I think you would have liked the opening act too, Midlake. Kinda reminded me of Crosby, Stills and Nash.

I have not yet been to the Calvin; I am about an hour away from there, too. I did see Yonder Mountain String Band at Pearl Street a few years ago.

Back