Bad news for Peavey

Actually, it makes a great deal of sense. The U.S. Consumer market is aging, and since the market for music gear at the mid-price level is skewed toward the younger end of the spectrum, I would imagine that Peavey's best hope for growth lies in overseas markets.

Inevitable.

Does anyone other than Marvel comic fans buy Peavey guitars? Not that their guitars are no good but their marketing program sucks.

What famous/well known players use Peavey guitars since EVH? Amps certainly but guitars?

They need to get their act together in the guitar thing. They should have got John Mayer to endorse them.

Last edited:
Sucks that people lost their jobs and all that, but I guess I'm not surprised. Since EVH left, Peavey hasn't really had much that interested me guitar and amp wise on the higher end of products. I also have noticed the lower end solid state market they used to dominate is very crowded these days.

That sucks. Maybe those laid off employees will start a new company and make stuff that doesn't look like it belongs in the 80s.

I watched a few minutes of that last night, including the end.

Sorry, but Peavey needs to reorganize itself and focus on core business, but without shipping any jobs to fucking China. This bullshit practice is completely unacceptable. There is a balance between profits and taking care of your people that can be met if competent leadership is in place.

Fuck Peavey management in their fucking meat head faces.

Last edited:
Overseas manufacturing is here to stay. No way around it. Embrace it.

Make good stuff. Market the heck out of it. People will buy it. It doesn't matter where it's made.

You can't competitively make anything in the USA anymore unless it's made by robots. Even then it's tough. Sure you can make boutique guitars that sell for several thousand dollars but mass produced guitars? Forget it unless you use robots.

For example, the Ford truck plant in Michigan still "assembles" trucks but with only a handful of employees. It's really an automated assembly line with a few human over-seers.

Overseas manufacturing is here to stay. No way around it. Embrace it.

Make good stuff. Market the heck out of it. People will buy it. It doesn't matter where it's made.

You can't competitively make anything in the USA anymore unless it's made by robots. Even then it's tough. Sure you can make boutique guitars that sell for several thousand dollars but mass produced guitars? Forget it unless you use robots.

On the contrary.
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/MadeInAmerica

http://mammarketplace.meylah.com/marketplace
http://www.madeinamericastore.com/

Well, you just made my point. The Wilson leather footballs used by the NCAA are about $70.

That is not a cheap football by any means and you probably won't see the local kids using one in their backyards or throwing it around in the street (unless their high income parents buy them one).

You probably won't see kids throwing around official NFL leather footballs that cost about $90.

Those are boutique footballs.

The affordable Wilson NCAA composite footballs that cost about $15-$20 are made overseas.

If you live in the Hamptons I suppose you could see kids throwing around an expensive football.

:( A Delta Blues 1-15 is still on my amp wish list...:(
Same here. I can't justify it on any level, but I want one to go with my T-60's. Besides, the Delta Blues and Classic 30's define tone for some people. I had a chance for a used Classic 30 the day I got my first T-60. Not enough money at the time.

It may be inevitable, but it is a colossal bummer all the same.

Its always a sad day when an American company has to move overseas in order to stay viable. Unfortunately they wont be the last.

About those kids in the Hamptons, thry dont throw footballs, they have someone throwing them for them.

I'm sorry to see this happening, but I also agree that was inevitable. The current economy is just forcing the company's hand, because the people they market to are choosing to live more fugal lives.

I'm sorry to see this happening, but I also agree that was inevitable. The current economy is just forcing the company's hand, because the people they market to are choosing to live more fugal lives.
If anything they held on longer than most other companies without doing a single import product.

It's true. While "fugue" in music has the meaning we're most familiar, in psychiatry it means, "a disturbed state of consciousness in which the one affected seems to perform acts in full awareness but upon recovery cannot recollect the acts performed". We are indeed living fugal lives in the current economy.

Back