Back in the recording phase again...questions

JC777

g00b
OK. I've covered some of this in other threads. Long\short band was going great, one member decided to go John Lennon and fuck it up for the rest. We disbanded. I took a bit of time and didn't even touch a guitar.
The other guitarist and I continued to work on stuff after about a year. We recorded at John Lennon's house so my DAW sat and was way out of date. So I decided to build a new PC.
The last PC was a multimedia PC so some things were built in.

So here's what I've done.
3.4 GHZ i5 with 32GB RAM- 500 GB SSD for primary drive. 2-1 TB 15,000 RPM drives. 1 for software and VST, the other for projects.
I've completed a basic setup. My mixer is recognized but I can only hear my guitar during playback not during recording.
It's been so long I don't remember how I had it setup before. Seems like there was a setting or an output option that I had to use.
Do I need a dedicated sound card? The existing is integrated on the Mobo.

Unrelated to the DAW. Has anyone attached acoustic tiles to drywall in a way that you were able to remove it without damaging the surface?

I had a 3rd question and it took me so long to write this, I've forgotten.

If you can hear during playback, I would think everything is good. Busses right, drivers right. Been a long time since I've messed with it... I remember something in my DAW, Cubase 5, there was a speaker icon or something that you had to turn off to hear. Never made sense to me. You would think you would turn a speaker on to hear something.

MAYBE you could use 3M Command strips to hang the panels. Definetly no damage, don't know if they would hold or not.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BT0MW4...t=&hvlocphy=9021773&hvtargid=pla-306093092565

Put some large bass traps in the corners first, 2x4x4" Roxul or Owens Corning 703. Floor to ceiling if possible.
With those and carpet on the floor, you prob won't even need to touch the drywall.

Back