AUGUST SONGWRITING REVEAL

Peen Simmons

Let’s Get Obtuse!
This Sunday on PRESS THE MEAT...we'll get the shocking shocks about the rocking rocks that rocked the political world.

First, Smurfco will give us "The Reason"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9bk1kgtcq813k99/TheReason.mp3?dl=0

Followed by a roundtable discussion featuring four different versions of rsadasiv debating the scandalous history of "Apache One Two."

Stay tuned after the break for more hard hitting commentary from Gary Blanchard.

[TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES. PLEASE STAND BY.]

Sorry about that. I forgot to send Peen the new link. Getting old sucks.

As always, special thanks to @sonik for bringing this song to the current state. I did a rough mix and was ready to re-record it. Sonik was able to bring out the best of what I sent him, and to add some bits and pieces that really made it work.

Last edited:
Gary, your tune had a strong Byrds vibe. I really dug the melody and the message.

rsadasiv - dig the percussion and groove on this one. Reminds me a little bit of Budos Band

@Peen Simmons - Very cool. Believe it or not, parts reminded me of Tom Petty. (The singer, not the former Weiner.) That may not be a compliment to you, but it is meant as one.

Mine was a few hours late because my plan to record the demo yesterday evening got thwarted by having to take a gerbil to the vet (not a euphemism) . It's been a busy few weeks and demo time is at a premium given that most of my musical efforts have been directed toward finishing the new LP and getting punk rock band up to speed for a last minute show.

Anyway...

Smurfco, that's a great song. I hate songs about "why I wrote this song," but this one is natural and honest and really well done. It just spirals out. Reminds me a lot of Jeff Tweedy. Very cool.

GB...I did it. It's funny because it's sort of about the same thing my song is...just froma completely opposite angle. Dig the Byrdsy arrangement. The video had me hoping for disco-junkshop-glam Blanchard, but alas. It's a well structured tune. It seems like it's been around forever. That's a neat trick.

Rdiddy, yours has a really stanky 70s vibe. Very cool playing. I mean, there's no words so it isn't a song...but still. Excellent composition and production.

Nice job, gents!
Smurf, your chord progressions make me tingly in my naughty places.

@smurfco Chord voicings and melody have a lots of nice moments of contrary motion. The bass and synth pad fill in the right spaces without ever getting in the way.

@Gary Blanchard @sonik Sentiment is both inarguable and necessary, which is a neat trick. Arrangement is great (clean guitar arpeggios -> compressor -> plate reverb -> compressor ?), and the video is joyfully surreal, as usual.

@Gary Blanchard @sonik Sentiment is both inarguable and necessary, which is a neat trick. Arrangement is great (clean guitar arpeggios -> compressor -> plate reverb -> compressor ?), and the video is joyfully surreal, as usual.
I can vouch for the clean guitar arpeggios. I don't have a clue what Sonik does with them; I just know they sound so much better than what I can do. :grin:

rsadasiv: really digging the beat here, the flip into the funk with organ is really cool, layered goodness

Smurfco: sorry but for some reason Dropbox does not like iOS and I couldn't listen to this

GB: hippy trippy good stuff! Though your audio is a little out of sync with the video, you need a clapper at the beginning of the take so it is easier to sync the visual to the soundtrack

Peen: as usual strong songwriting, an excellent example of what we are supposed to be about here! You always remind me of excellent indie rock of the 90s...which I love.

GB: hippy trippy good stuff! Though your audio is a little out of sync with the video, you need a clapper at the beginning of the take so it is easier to sync the visual to the soundtrack
For some reason it starts okay and slowly goes more askew. Probably some problem with camera quality.

rsadasiv: really digging the beat here, the flip into the funk with organ is really cool, layered goodness

Smurfco: sorry but for some reason Dropbox does not like iOS and I couldn't listen to this

Peen: as usual strong songwriting, an excellent example of what we are supposed to be about here! You always remind me of excellent indie rock of the 90s...which I love.
When you click on the Dropbox link and you get the screen where it wants you to install Dropbox, there should be an arrow (iirc) in the upper right corner. If you click it, it should play. At least that's what happens on an iPhone.
I have Dropbox installed (which is a great app btw) so it opens right up and plays.

Back