Attention Guitar Teachers!

F

fanuvbrak

When you get a new student, do you have a standard test to determine their skill level? For instance: Do you start with, "Play a G in an open chord position. Now play it as a barre chord" type of thing? Or do you just have them play and you get a feel for what they know?

How much is an assessment like this?

If someones been playing for a while I'll ask them to play a few chords starting with whatever open chords they know. Then I'll usually ask them how many places they can play something like a C#minor on the fretboard. After that I'll have them play some songs that they know. That usually gives me a frame of reference for what their abilities may be. After that we'll talk about what they are looking for out of their lessons and then I'll make some recommendations.

If a prospective students isn't 100% they want to sign up I'll do a free first lesson....I'm pretty confident that most folks will sign up and if they don't that's fine, too.

Interesting.

Thanks.

No problem.

Most experienced teachers should have no problem giving a free first lesson. It's pretty standard around here. If they can't convince you in 30 minutes to an hour then they shouldn't be teaching in the first place.

for an intermediate or advanced student who obviously knows how to play the guitar, i ask them what they want to learn. most of them say "i want to learn how to solo". i say great, play a G chord. they play a G chord. then i ask them what the notes are in the G chord and they stare at me blankly. from there, i suggest the Guitar Fretboard Workbook and start talking basic theory. some of them stick it out, but most just came to learn a few new licks and be on their way.

for an intermediate or advanced student who obviously knows how to play the guitar, i ask them what they want to learn. most of them say "i want to learn how to solo". i say great, play a G chord. they play a G chord. then i ask them what the notes are in the G chord and they stare at me blankly. from there, i suggest the Guitar Fretboard Workbook and start talking basic theory. some of them stick it out, but most just came to learn a few new licks and be on their way.

Similar! Some would just want to learn a specific solo by an artist. In that case I used refer them to another teacher as this student was more into learning licks or a way to play a passage they may not have been able to figure out rather than play the guitar - sorry but that was my compromise. If the student wanted to play guitar then we would continue.

Back