Ask Paul Reed Smith anything

Ohhh, I would love to see him say something along the lines of the pre-factory guitars are no different than the current factory guitars and watch TGP asp lode.

meepwned 14 points 4 hours ago

Thanks for taking time out of your day to join us here, I think we all really appreciate it.

Someone else beat me to the punch here (/u/theabolitionist) but I wanted to ask for your insight on one of the most controversial topics around here: tonewood.

Let me tell you where I am coming from. I have a degree in physics, and I have played guitar more than half my life. This issue grabbed my interest recently and I have spent a lot of time researching it. It appears that all arguments of wave mechanics and oscillating systems make the case against tonewood. Neville Fletcher even makes the plain statement that the wood of an electric guitar is inconsequential to tone in his book. Numerous people online have conducted tests with oscilloscopes that show no discernible difference from wood to wood. There appears to be a lot stacked against tonewood.

So my question for you is this: Does the wood an electric guitar is made of affect its tone, and if so, how?

Thanks again!

MyBSRedditAccountButthurting Believers -14 points 4 hours ago

^ Beyond hilarious this question went unanswered thusfar ^

theabolitionist|'98 Strat DLX|'03 LP'|11 Tele|Steinberger| 5 points 4 hours ago*

I think this is what you're looking for

And this

MyBSRedditAccount comment score below threshold PrimeIntellectskin flute & love triangle 1 point a minute ago

You mean it was asked like fifteen times already and he answered more interesting questions than some pointless tone circlejerk

I like his take on tone wood. He seems to have a very holistic approach to what contributes to a guitar's sound....which includes just about anything that impacts string vibration.

I think as all considered, he appeared to be a huge start to the anti-mainstream guitar market and then took that as a means to start his own mainstream market, which led him to great success realistically but left him in that "too big to be micro too small to be macro" realm..

PRS is the Sierra Nevada of the guitar market. Sure it's great...maybe not as great as it once was...but great all the same...Are you willing to afford it for what it is considering it's competition? "

Back