Ask a (hack) luthier!

Sorry if you already answered this, Doug. But how many works in process are you working on right now?

what was the condom thing all about?

Some truss rods have a plastic "condom" wrapped around them so the truss rod doesn't stick to the inside of the neck with certain glues. Vintage LP's used hide glue (which I don't carefor... I had a guitar in a really hot summer the neck joint got a little loose and I had to steam the neck off and re-glue it... but most guitars nowdays use traditional wood glue. The debate is whether the plastic sleeve on the truss rod hurts the tone or not.

what was the condom thing all about?

That the reissue CS les pauls had plastic sleeves of the truss rods to keep them from getting glued in place accidently and that this was some huge detriment to the tone and that with out we'd all suddenly have Beano Tone.

Either that or every guitar player is devoutly catholic.

That the reissue CS les pauls had plastic sleeves of the truss rods to keep them from getting glued in place accidently and that this was some huge detriment to the tone and that with out we'd all suddenly have Beano Tone.

Either that or every guitar player is devoutly catholic.
<---- Atheist electricguitar054

that's just...man...
I don't even have words.

one other thing I wanted to ask you, Doug...

can I borrow a couple hundred bucks?
Baimun's good for it.

LOL.

Word to the wise, asking a luthier if you can borrow money from him is kind of like pissing in the wind. I'd give it to you, if I had any. :wink:

LOL.

Word to the wise, asking a luthier if you can borrow money from him is kind of like pissing in the wind. I'd give it to you, if I had any. :wink:
One probably has a better chance of asking for employment, eh?

Doug, I went to GTR Store today, and they had some nice Daylighters on the rack. Had no idea anyone in NYC even carried your instruments. Really nice place. Definitely one of the better stores in the city.

Doug, I went to GTR Store today, and they had some nice Daylighters on the rack. Had no idea anyone in NYC even carried your instruments. Really nice place. Definitely one of the better stores in the city.
Sounds like an excuse for me to traverse the Lincoln Tunnel... After my move, I guess...

What/Where is the GTR Store (is that the actual name of the store)? I'm going to be in NY for work for a few days next month. I'll likely have a late-afternoon or evening where I can get out to do some shopping.

What/Where is the GTR Store (is that the actual name of the store)? I'm going to be in NY for work for a few days next month. I'll likely have a late-afternoon or evening where I can get out to do some shopping.

Yes, that's the name of the store. It's on 28th St. Lotsa high end stuff.

Back