Artistic freedom in modern popular music...

Dogsinplastic

avuncular to no one
...is becoming a rarer commodity. As such whose do you celebrate?

Radiohead was the initial inspiration for this thread. I finally DLed King of Limbs from emusic and listened to it last night on the commute and am hitting it again this morning.

While I know part of their aural aesthetic is to ashew the conventional, it really just sounds like they're exploring sonic possibilities and enjoying the ride.

Similarly, Ani DiFranco has always pursued her muse with seeming little concern for any expectations thrust upon her. She and Radiohead also share a lack of reliance on or concern about the recording industry's models for success. They work alongside that system with great success.

Ben Harper is also one of those artists that just produces the music he likes with whomever he likes. He's had relatively modest popular success, but he keeps making the music he wants with little/no regard for hits. He worked with Dhani Harrison who's taking a similar path.

Zappa, the Dead, Pink Floyd, Yes, Dylan, the Beatles, the Clash, Neil Young, and I could go on with the list of artists within the broad scope of popular music that strived for something more, different, or new throughout their careers. Obviously the punk and metal scenes have their roots in this notion as well, but even they can fall into a cycle of regurgitation.

This is an age old "issue" in that classical, jazz, folk, and ethnic musics that have been around far longer have had fewer and fewer people striving for some level of unique and exploratory musical expression and more folks willing and even looking to follow the leader.

One needn't be doing something completely original in every or even anyway. Derek Trucks isn't rewriting the songbook or the blues rock style/genre, but he is combining voices in a different way within the form.

I realize that there are successful artists doing just what they want, but many are just churning out pablum. Of course, my pablum is someone else's notion of the height of artistic expression. Shows what I know.

"Modern Popular Music".....I think you hit the nail on the head right there.
People, as a group, are generally pretty stupid. There are too few leaders and lots of followers who are content to be told what is acceptable and "good".

Ben Harper is someone I've been inspired by lately as I've been cultivating my new style of singing and playing. I use the term acoustic-island-reggae-rock when describing my band's music to other people, but whatever hypenated label you would put on Ben's music would probably be appropriate for our mash ups as well.

I'm not sure whether you are asking about artists who push the boundaries of the art form or genre, or artists who follow their own voice and ignore the commercial aspects of modern popular music. I think you're talking about the latter, so few artists that come to mind for me are:

Prince
Paul Westerberg
Ryan Adams
Wilco
Robert Plant - his album with Alison Krauss was not exactly a calculated move to return to the top of the charts.
David Byrne

I'm not sure whether you are asking about artists who push the boundaries of the art form or genre, or artists who follow their own voice and ignore the commercial aspects of modern popular music. I think you're talking about the latter, so few artists that come to mind for me are:

Prince
Paul Westerberg
Ryan Adams
Wilco
Robert Plant - his album with Alison Krauss was not exactly a calculated move to return to the top of the charts.
David Byrne

Kinda of both, by not wanting to dismiss the types that might not breaking new or dramatic ground, but who are still doing the music they want the way they want. Sometimes that can actually be hugely successful. Prince and Robert Plant are two guys that have managed that quite well. You look at the majority of what Plant's done outside of Zeppelin and it's not him trying to cash in on Zeppelin's legacy. Prince may not be rewriting the book of funk, but he's adding chapters and has brought the rock to it as much as anyone. He's done this from the beginning. And even though his most popular days are well be hind him, he had MASSIVE success.

David Byrne, Ani, Harper...these people are heroes for me. I'd add Bowie too, as he's followed his own muse to towering heights and staggering lows with seemingly no regrets.

Ben Harper is someone I've been inspired by lately as I've been cultivating my new style of singing and playing. I use the term acoustic-island-reggae-rock when describing my band's music to other people, but whatever hypenated label you would put on Ben's music would probably be appropriate for our mash ups as well.

Harper took a while to grab me, but once he did my mind changed. He should have been part of my other thread about pivotal artists. From being in Taj Mahal's band to becoming the artist he is today playing the music he does the way he does. That's like the dream musical career for me. And the only thing I'm lacking is that level of talent and creativity. I've got some kick ass gear though!

Prince
Paul Westerberg
Ryan Adams
Wilco
David Byrne

Add Eddie Vedder and all the rest of Pearl Jam to that "following their own voice" group. (no surprise they were mentored and inspired by Neil Young) The last couple PF albums were both good in my book, and this last was somewhat experimental in the variety of sounds (which s0ngs were penned by all different members of PJ, not just Eddie), from the punkish "Mind Your Manners" to the anthemic "Sirens", and Vedder has done some solo stuff in different directions, including ukulele. And I think he has performed or recorded with Ben Harper too.

And grohl pursues his own voice too.

Last edited:
Modern popular music really covers the gamut, by the way. Country, blues, rock, rap, hip hop, r&b, hard rock, folk, bluegrass, funk, punk, metal, jazz...pretty much anything outside of classical. Botti is pop, Nickel Creek is pop, and the list goes on. Their selling records, touring nationally/internationally, and selling out venues. I wasn't limiting it to a specific genre or level of popularity (e.g.: platinum selling artists).

Just a point of clarification.

I like that the alt.country/americana artists are getting more exposure and respect across many genres.

Modern popular music really covers the gamut, by the way. Country, blues, rock, rap, hip hop, r&b, hard rock, folk, bluegrass, funk, punk, metal, jazz...pretty much anything outside of classical. Botti is pop, Nickel Creek is pop, and the list goes on. Their selling records, touring nationally/internationally, and selling out venues. I wasn't limiting it to a specific genre or level of popularity (e.g.: platinum selling artists).

Just a point of clarification.

Then I couldn't agree with your initial statement re: artistic freedom.

Hell, I'm not sure if I'd agree with that statement in reference to successful rap producers.

Then I couldn't agree with your initial statement re: artistic freedom.

Hell, I'm not sure if I'd agree with that statement in reference to successful rap producers.

Was it my autocorrected Their instead of They're?

I'm just pointing out the broad nature of popular music, as opposed to a myopic view of "pop" as in top 40 stuff/shite. I'm not a rap/hip-hop fan either, but there are bands like the Roots that have a full band of skilled musicians that uses samples minimally.

I hear you though. It's cool.

Back