Are you broke?

No, but after paying everything off (except for a car note) even credit cards, you'd think more would be going into savings. I keep looking for more ways to cut corners, like getting rid of cable TV, but it still seems like I'm living paycheck to paycheck. I get a raise, and a month later health insurance premiums go up and take that raise and then some.

I invest $250 a week in UPS stock( i get a 5% discount per quarter a an employee,so it makes it worthwhile) and an additional 10% each week goes into my 401K. I live well below my means and having my daughter graduate college and become independent translates into while i'm not rich, i'm certainly comfortable.

Not rich but comfortable. I retired a year and a half ago after 22 years in a hazardous state position. As I and my wife went up the ladder in our jobs we didn't buy bigger houses etc. In fact some of the people I worked with had bigger car payments than I have a house payment. I've always been thrifty. My wife will have to work longer to retire, then again she loves and enjoys her job.

Back