Dig it! Archtops. Tell me what y'all know. NOW NGD!

I now know that outside of Eastman, most of the "good" ones are insanely more expensive than they were 10-15 yrs ago. I get inflation as a concept and reality, but the price of guitars that you could get $1,500-$3,000 is now $4,000 - $10K. Gibson, of course, being the worst offender but also setting the price points for all of the others.

Heritage might be the only U.S. company that seems reasonable, but they're still edging out of your price range...at least for new.

I don't care for many of Eastman's archtops, but that's due to the asymmetrical nature of the cutaway on their 03 models. The 05 models are freaking sweet though. The 605 is cool, but has the non-traditional mahogany back and sides. The 805 has the more standard maple back and sides. These are all solid wood guitars with one neck pup. This one is super cool and unique:

http://www.eastmanguitars.com/archtops-el-rey-er4

What about a Gretsch? Worked for Chet.

Nashville, Country Club, Tennessee Rose. Plenty to choose from.

What about a Gretsch? Worked for Chet.

Nashville, Country Club, Tennessee Rose. Plenty to choose from.

While I've played a bunch of Gretsches that I've liked I've never thought of the sound I get from them as being the "jazz guitar" voice that I'm hearing in my head.
I now know that outside of Eastman, most of the "good" ones are insanely more expensive than they were 10-15 yrs ago. I get inflation as a concept and reality, but the price of guitars that you could get $1,500-$3,000 is now $4,000 - $10K. Gibson, of course, being the worst offender but also setting the price points for all of the others.

Heritage might be the only U.S. company that seems reasonable, but they're still edging out of your price range...at least for new.

I don't care for many of Eastman's archtops, but that's due to the asymmetrical nature of the cutaway on their 03 models. The 05 models are freaking sweet though. The 605 is cool, but has the non-traditional mahogany back and sides. The 805 has the more standard maple back and sides. These are all solid wood guitars with one neck pup. This one is super cool and unique:

http://www.eastmanguitars.com/archtops-el-rey-er4

I like Eastman..I should take a trip to teh Fret House and play some.

That's what I was going to say. How bout a big ol Gretsch?

Gretsch has rarely been a associated w/ jazz. George Van Epos had a seven-sort ring model from them in the '50s or '60s (possibly a bit later and beyond), but most jazz players gravitated toward Gibson (w/ a few names playing Epis and Guilds) for production jazz boxes and D'Angelico/D'Aquisto initially for individual builders (w/ Benedetto eventually working his way in). Obviously there were exceptions, but

Gretsch quality back in the day was generally considered below Gibson and Guild, but I can't speak to the validity of this notion...this may be more about perception. Gretsches seemed voiced brighter than Gibsons and Guilds, which may be why they found a home in country, rockabilly, and rock and less in the jazz world. Chet certainly showed how warm and round a Gretsch could be made to sound though.

I believe that once Gretsch started building electrics they decided to focus on maximizing electric sound, whereas the acoustic roots of Gibson and Guild had them taking acoustic properties of their hollow-bodies (even the laminate models) into greater consideration. I think a lot of jazz players liked that greater resonance and acoustic response of Gibson, Guild, and luthier built hollowbodies. Of course other players started playing Les Pauls and Telecasters...

The history of the development of guitars has been one of my favorite reading and research topics, but I'm certainly not an expert despite aspirations to be.:thu:

I do have to say that I need to stay a little "conventional" for this purchase considering where I'm going to be playing it for the next four years. For some of that I need to be able to power an 18 piece big band as well as play solo and small group stuff. I get the feeling that my opinion and preferences won't be all that important to the folks who are setting my grades and from the aspect of being able to work in the traditional jazz community here I should make a good show of being able to sound "non-threatening".

I get the feeling that if and when I get to buy a second nice jazz guitar it will be closer in spirit to this: http://benedettoguitars.com/guitars/professional-series/pat-martino-signature-model™/

Some ideas:

1. As was previously mentioned, Eastman. I've been reading some good things about them.
2. D' Angelico - I'm really intrigued by the EXL-1. It sounds great IMO.
3. The new Guilds sound pretty good to me - especially the A-150 Savoy with its floating DeArmond Rhythm Chief pickup.
4. Gretsch - but you have to have the right amp settings, and that means getting over the typical guitarist's tendency to crank the treble, and set the bass at low levels.

I do have to say that I need to stay a little "conventional" for this purchase considering where I'm going to be playing it for the next four years. For some of that I need to be able to power an 18 piece big band as well as play solo and small group stuff. I get the feeling that my opinion and preferences won't be all that important to the folks who are setting my grades and from the aspect of being able to work in the traditional jazz community here I should make a good show of being able to sound "non-threatening".

I get the feeling that if and when I get to buy a second nice jazz guitar it will be closer in spirit to this: http://benedettoguitars.com/guitars/professional-series/pat-martino-signature-model™/

F.Y.I. - the Pat Martino is a semi-hollowbody. You might want to consider one of those.

F.Y.I. - the Pat Martino is a semi-hollowbody. You might want to consider one of those.
I know...the semi fits my personal aesthetic more but it not as appropriate for what I'll be using the guitar for. I need to own one good sounding fully hollow archtop and this is the one opportunity I'll have to afford one for a long time.

Mark, I don't know how you feel about Ibanez necks, but they do have some pretty nice higher end hollowbodies. Among them is this George Benson signature, and it comes in at about $1,300 new:

GB10SE_BS_12_01_CU_Body_Top.jpg

I have nothing but good things to say about the Ibanez guitars that I have owned, but then, I really like their neck shape, too.

Well, this could be the most expensive guitar purchase I've ever made and I need it both for school and hopefully for working gigs so yeah. I'mma gonna be a pain in the ass on this one. :embarrassed:

Understand. Just messin' with ya.

I would keep an eye out for a used Guild X-150 Savoy or similar model (the USA-made ones). They are likely in your price range, but I don't know how often those turn up on CL or in local shops in your area. I love my Starfire III.

Guitar_AR380CE-HB_Archtop_Front_0815.jpg

Eastman Pisano, $1600 list. Nine dealers in the L.A. area. Available at McCabe's ( Discliamer, they're an Eastman dealer may not have that model)in Santa Monica since you're going that way.

That Eastman makes my nethers feel kinda funny. That's strongly gorgeous.

I have heard about some guy named Setzer who I understand has had some modicum of success playing a Gretsch in front of an 18 piece band.

Eastman-Fantastic company that still uses a lot of hands on techniques, founded in traditional Luthery. Havnt played their archtops, but have played quite a few of there mandos and flat tops and they range from good to excellent. In you price range I'm sue you could find a goodun.
Gibson- Franciscos wall o Gibsons, damn good idea Good luck!
Guild-The new Korean Newport series are excellent in my opinion. I have the Starfire bass and I'd put it up against anybody's production run guitars quality wise , Gibson included. That said, you might luck into a used Westerly model in you budget.
Gretsch-The Japanese Pro Lines are some the highest quality Gretschs ever IMO. If there is a shop with a nice selection you owe it to yourself to try some out. A sunburst Anniversary sans Bigsby, esp if you added a wooden bridge, would def do Jazz and not look to "threatening ". A Falcon or County Club would also be a fine jazz axe, but might scare the children.
Ibanez-No experience with out her than the lower end stuff. But they certainly have a good rep.

Back