Dig it! Archtops. Tell me what y'all know. NOW NGD!

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
NGD starts at Archtops. Tell me what y'all know. NOW NGD!

I have an Epiphone Joe Pass. In some regards I like the guitar a lot but sonically it isn't doing it for me. I do like the physical dimensions of the guitar though. I'm window shopping for something in between $2k and $3k. I originally thought about a Gibson ES-175 but I played one last week that made me want to puke. I'm still looking at them but I'm also wondering what else is out there. My main qualifications is that it is an instrument that I can physically play before buying in Southern California. I do not want to buy this guitar online or from someone on a forum or other website. I've also not cared for any of the Heritage guitars that I've played enough to want to own one. A Collings would be awesome but most seem out of my budget.

This is what I currently have: http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Archtop/Joe-Pass-Emperor-II.aspx

Last edited:
I've only shopped in the $800 or less department but I love them and certainly can't wait to see what you decide on.
Are you wanting the full bodied or more 335 style?

Edit, I'm dumb. How about an ES-175?

What is it you don't like sonically, and do you think it's worth a pickup swap first?
Acoustically its a little "plastic" or strangely bright sounding. I actually don't play it plugged in very often although that will change when I get the DV Mark amp tomorrow.

Acoustically its a little "plastic" or strangely bright sounding. I actually don't play it plugged in very often although that will change when I get the DV Mark amp tomorrow.

Ok, so it's about how it plays unplugged. If that's the case, then it comes down to the individual guitar. You're gonna play a lot more pukeworthy guitars, but you'll find what you want in the typical places. It'll be frustrating and there is no right answer. Just options. Hopefully, you can find one of them locally.

If I were looking, I'd try to find a Guild. This one is a little beat up, but it's in Long Beach:
https://reverb.com/item/2296869-guild-t-100-bdp-1961-blonde

Ok, so it's about how it plays unplugged. If that's the case, then it comes down to the individual guitar. You're gonna play a lot more pukeworthy guitars, but you'll find what you want in the typical places. It'll be frustrating and there is no right answer. Just options. Hopefully, you can find one of them locally.

If I were looking, I'd try to find a Guild. This one is a little beat up, but it's in Long Beach:
https://reverb.com/item/2296869-guild-t-100-bdp-1961-blonde
My buddy Martin found a Guild Artist Award he fell in love with but it's up in Palo ALto (he goes back to Fresno once a month to visit family so its not that big of a trip for him). Its the same guitar that my professor from college played. I think I want humbuckers too.

My buddy Martin found a Guild Artist Award he fell in love with but it's up in Palo ALto (he goes back to Fresno once a month to visit family so its not that big of a trip for him). Its the same guitar that my professor from college played. I think I want humbuckers too.

I'd want humbuckers too. What about that ES-295 Oscar was pimping?

I've played a few and they didn't really flip my switch any more than my Joe Pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmm that's interesting, considering all the hype I've heard around them, especially the Montreal.

I would suggest a Gibson Super 400, but they're incredibly expensive.

I used to go see a guy named Mel Brown at a local blues club. He would always play one, & it sounded awesome.

Not sure how they feel though.

Guitar_AR380CE-HB_Archtop_Front_0815.jpg

Eastman Pisano, $1600 list. Nine dealers in the L.A. area. Available at McCabe's ( Discliamer, they're an Eastman dealer may not have that model)in Santa Monica since you're going that way.

I have a fondness for D'Angelico's

The EXS-1DH,
DAEXDHVS-1-2-320x852.png

The clasic EXL-1,

DAEXl1BB-1-320x802.png

Both around $1299

Back