Apple releases new version of Logic - Logic X.

Kerouac

weird musical dildo
http://9to5mac.com/2013/07/16/apple-releases-major-logic-pro-x-mainstage-3-updates-in-mac-app-store/

Logic remains at $199 from when it first landed in the App Store, but Apple is including a lot of new features including one it calls ‘Drummer’ described as “a revolutionary new feature that provides a virtual session player that automatically plays along with your song in a wide variety of drumming styles and technique.”

Some of the other features that Apple is showing off in Logic Pro X: Nine new MIDI Plug-ins, including a brand new Arpeggiator, new Retro Synths, Vintage Keyboards, and a new Bass Amp Designer

The new Drummer is going to be great for Recordingfests or for even just demo purposes. A lengthy demo/overview below:

Additionally, Mainstage has been updated and a new iPad amp is available:

Logic Remote is an innovative new way to extend the creative power of Logic by using your iPad. Designed to take full advantage of the iPad Multi-Touch™ display, Logic Remote gives users new ways to record, mix and even perform instruments in Logic Pro X from anywhere in the room, turning their iPad into a keyboard, drum pad, guitar fretboard, mixing board or transport control.

MainStage® 3, a major update to MainStage, is the live performance companion app for Logic Pro X, turning the Mac® into a live rig that makes it easy to bring sounds from the studio to the concert stage. MainStage 3 features a new user interface and maintains compatibility with the new Logic Pro X plug-ins, Patches and Smart Controls.

Last edited by a moderator:
So that could replace EZ Drummer, right? That might make it so I get that instead of EZ Drummer, since I own neither at this point. I wonder how many different styles, etc. they have available. I am sure there is some info on it that I can go check out beyond the demo that lists what they have in it. EZ Drummer, by comparison, has a basic program, then "packs" you add on for different styles, right? At least that is what I remember. I wonder what the expansion capacity will be here.

Last edited:
So that could replace EZ Drummer, right? That might make it so I get that instead of EZ Drummer, since I own neither at this point. I wonder how many different styles, etc. they have available. I am sure there is some info on it that I can go check out beyond the demo that lists what they have in it. EZ Drummer, by comparison, has a basic program, then "packs" you add on for different styles, right? At least that is what I remember. I wonder what the expansion capacity will be here.

Yeah, it could replace EZ Drummer. What DAW are you currently running?

Just Garageband, and sometimes I have added amp effects from Line6 Gearbox, though not too often have I done that.

Usuallly, I have just imported backing tracks into garageband and gone from there. Me being just nooby at recording and not writing much of my own yet. But I would love the ability to start creating my own tracks or songs.

One thing I remember from looking at the drum stuff a few years ago what that good blues shuffles were hard to find. Maybe that has changed. Also, at some point, I will just have to bite the bullet and learn how to program my own beats, etc.

I am going to stick with Apple for the foreseeable future, so this upgrade of Logic looks promising. It is only $20 more than the basic version of EZ drummer and has all the other recording stuff with it too.

I'm not really a fan of Logic but if I need to update my software I might do this since spending $600 on Protools isn't in my budget.

I'm not really a fan of Logic but if I need to update my software I might do this since spending $600 on Protools isn't in my budget.

That is what steered me toward Logic 9...when I went Mac and ProTools 8 didn't want to play well in the Mac environment, I did not want to spend the then $500 to upgrade to PT10. So I spent $200 for Logic. Now, I can spend another $200 for the upgrade but this still has me way ahead of the original $500 for PT 10 and the another $299 I'd pay to upgrade from 10 to PT 11.

Back