Apple Beef Meat Ring.

Ok,I won't be eating tonight.
Seafood loaf,have we not learned a thing?

bc9446ff-e30c-4eae-8c95-a0b9c9943172--salmon.jpeg

Well, if everyone wants the crispy end of the meatloaf, you've got a problem.
The solution? MEAT RING!!

Everyone gets a crispy hunk o' loaf.

Screw that corn in the middle. Beans sure, but just put them on the side.

Sometimes it’s easy to understand why so many guys kept an apartment and a mistress in the city back then. Who the fuck would go home to eat that shit?

And is there proof that people actually cooked this shit? Or were these like The French Laundry Cookbook; a million people own it and nobody has ever tried cooking that stuff at home?

My wife buys things in aspic over here, the Germans have no aversion to it. She once asked me why I was disgusted by it, to which I really had no answer other than "most Americans don't like it, it never caught on". How wrong I was. Not only did we embrace it, it would seem our aversion comes from us being overzealous in our use of it at one time. I think a whole generation of seventies kids grew up horrified at these cook books.

My wife buys things in aspic over here, the Germans have no aversion to it. She once asked me why I was disgusted by it, to which I really had no answer other than "most Americans don't like it, it never caught on". How wrong I was. Not only did we embrace it, it would seem our aversion comes from us being overzealous in our use of it at one time. I think a whole generation of seventies kids grew up horrified at these cook books.

I can't remember where I read it, but I believe there's a theory that the aggressive marketing of Jello as a sweet, fruit-flavored treat for kids is what killed savory aspics as dinner party staples in the US.

I can't remember where I read it, but I believe there's a theory that the aggressive marketing of Jello as a sweet, fruit-flavored treat for kids is what killed savory aspics as dinner party staples in the US.
No, it was those cook books. Don't fool yourself. :wink:

Funny you should say it that way, and I grew up during that time. My mother used to spend a great deal of time copying recipes from TV shows and radio programs, yet I cannot remember a single time she ever used a single one. My dad did all the food shopping when I was a kid, and he always bought whatever was on sale. Mom was not a good cook, except for making traditional Polish or Lithuanian food.

The thing about aspic here in the states is that the gelatin itself was often relatively flavorless, relying on the other components to flavor the whole affair. They also relied heavily on powdered gelatin, and making it correctly. The gelatin was there only to bind the food. I remember one of my aunts... she made an attempt at a fresh fruit salad in aspic. At least the fruit part of it was pretty good. The rest..... not so much. It only looked appetizing in the book because they put a small mountain of parsley underneath.

Don't forget that many of those cookbooks were published by anyone dealing with selling food products. I still have a lot of my mom's old cookbooks, and it seems that a lot of them were nothing but an advertising medium. I have one from General Foods, and they would call out ingredients by brand. Sometimes it was only a single ingredient, but many of them have 3 or more.

Back