Anyone watch the new True Detective last night?

I don't really get the "the dialogue is so bad, man" argument. Pointing out weaknesses in dialogue is one of my jobs as an educator. It's like someone has never seen a classic noir; fuck realism. People in movies aren't always supposed to talk like real people. Go watch Double Indemnity or The Long Goodbye or something. Stylized dialogue is... Well, part of the style.
I agree 100%. It's like these people have never seen crime noir before. WTF?!

I don't really get the "the dialogue is so bad, man" argument. Pointing out weaknesses in dialogue is one of my jobs as an educator. It's like someone has never seen a classic noir; fuck realism. People in movies aren't always supposed to talk like real people. Go watch Double Indemnity or The Long Goodbye or something. Stylized dialogue is... Well, part of the style.

Style alone doesn’t make the dialogue good. It still has to flow and sound natural to those characters. That bar scene with the lines about stridency and being apoplectic didn’t sound at all like noir. It sounded like something written by a a kid with one hand on the keyboard and a thesaurus in the other.

Style alone doesn’t make the dialogue good. It still has to flow and sound natural to those characters. That bar scene with the lines about stridency and being apoplectic didn’t sound at all like noir. It sounded like something written by a a kid with one hand on the keyboard and a thesaurus in the other.

Disagree.

Disagree.

Agree.
In something like Double Indemnity, the dialogue absolutely flows and sounds natural to the characters, even though no one IRL would talk like that.
Your example of the use of stridency and apoplectic is spot on. It's jarring; it doesn't work. Maybe it's Vaughn, though. Maybe someone else could pull it off.

Wow, I didn't know California was dark so much of the time. What, you get about 3 or 4 hours of sunlight a day? :embarrassed:

Wow, I didn't know California was dark so much of the time. What, you get about 3 or 4 hours of sunlight a day? :embarrassed:

Have you ever seen the motion picture Blade Runner? If not, then you should definitely check it out. It's basically a hyper-realistic microcosmic facsimile of Los Angeles circa 2019. Just ask Jammity. His neighbourhood makes Dark City look like a Pixar movie.

I really get the sense that crime noir, film noir, and neo-film noir is new to a lot of people here. People are taking issue with normal staples and tropes of the genre. If you hated stuff like To Live And Die In LA, Body Heat, Blood Simple, Mulholland Drive, LA Confidential, or Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, just call it a night. Maybe you like musicals.

I really get the sense that crime noir, film noir, and neo-film noir is new to a lot of people here. People are taking issue with normal staples and tropes of the genre. If you hated stuff like To Live And Die In LA, Body Heat, Blood Simple, Mulholland Drive, LA Confidential, or Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, just call it a night. Maybe you like musicals.

I’ve been watching noir films my entire life. I’ve seen The Maltese Falcon hundreds of times. If anyone fails to grasp the genre it’s Nic Pizzolatto who can’t pull it together without Cary Fukunaga around to salvage the show.

I’ve been watching noir films my entire life. I’ve seen The Maltese Falcon hundreds of times. If anyone fails to grasp the genre it’s Nic Pizzolatto who can’t pull it together without Cary Fukunaga around to salvage the show.
Disagree. Also classic noir has a different tone than neo noir. Hope this helps.

Have you ever seen the motion picture Blade Runner? If not, then you should definitely check it out. It's basically a hyper-realistic microcosmic facsimile of Los Angeles circa 2019. Just ask Jammity. His neighbourhood makes Dark City look like a Pixar movie.

Oh, yes. I watched it in the theater when it came out and have the director's cut and the original release in the library.
Blade-Runner-Rutger-Hauer.jpg

Last edited:
Huge improvement this week. Still a few rough moments with the gangster dialogue, but the rest was good television. The police raid going horribly wrong was damned good. Not as good as the tracking shot from season 1, and it felt to me like they were reaching for that, but they did a damned good job trying.

Between the tainted cops and this last clusterfuck of a shootout, complete with over the top death toll, I think we're in for some super douchy upper management shenanigans.

Back