Anyone use a Pod HD500X???

Yes there are a few of us and a couple threads about them. Dig up the old threads and some of your questions might be answered

I don't have the X model, but I love my HD500

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

@OGG I saw that post as I was searching for older posts on it.

So, my questions pertain to not using the amp models (I already have kick ass amps), but rather just using the FX. Is it easy to use all 8 switches as just effects? Does the bank up/down then switch scenes?

@OGG I saw that post as I was searching for older posts on it.

So, my questions pertain to not using the amp models (I already have kick ass amps), but rather just using the FX. Is it easy to use all 8 switches as just effects? Does the bank up/down then switch scenes?

Yes to both, and you can individually assign each switch as well as the expression pedal

Yes to both, and you can individually assign each switch as well as the expression pedal

I'm wondering if you can do both. For instance, use 3 or 4 different scenes of just effects, but then also have a couple scenes in case my amp blows and I have to use the Crate PowerBlock in the middle of the gig or something.

I'm wondering if you can do both. For instance, use 3 or 4 different scenes of just effects, but then also have a couple scenes in case my amp blows and I have to use the Crate PowerBlock in the middle of the gig or something.

The number of configurations is mind boggling. Each patch can contain as little or as much as you see fit, and each can allocate individual effects or parameters to the controller of your choice.

So you can put an amp model on one switch if you want to turn just that model on or off.

Bumping an old thread. You guys that use the HD500 or HD500X, does this sound OK with headphones? What about through an amp, such as a Deluxe Reverb? I'm just starting to scratch the surface with my research of this device. Can it do everything the M13 can do and more?

I haven't tried it with headphones yet. No need so far. What I have found is that different amps take to it differently. At first, I thought I was going to send it back when it didn't sound good through my V50. But then I tried it with my Randall RG75 and it sounded good. I tried it in my main rig with my Carvin and it's awesome. Fenders and Pods don't always get along, so buy one somewhere that takes returns, for sure.

Good to know, thanks Muppet. I'm hoping Headphones or even desk top speakers will sound OK. With my kids so little, I don't have a dedicated spot in my house to leave a guitar or amp set up out in the open.

Works great with headphones, but I'd recommend at least desktop speakers.

You can run it through your Deluxe Reverb, but I would recommend not using the amp and speaker models when you do that. Yes, I believe it can do everything the M13 can do.

Here's what I will tell you also. These things are on the difficult side to program, too. If you want something I know will work with your Fender, and are easier to work with, look at the Boss ME80. Try both, and see how you feel. If you have to, take your amp into the store.

I saw a youtube clip where the guy was programming it via his computer. Looked pretty straightforward. Or are you talking about programming it on the fly using just the unit itself?

I don't think the HD500 is that difficult to program.... Especially if you start on the pc then transitioning to editing patches on the unit makes a little more sense. You can also grab files from the Web and load them on your unit.

It is considerably easier programming on the computer than using the built-in interface. But there is still kind of a learning curve for figuring out which configurations you like. Everything is just so tweakable, you should go in with the expectation that it's going to take some time before you are comfortable with it. I spent probably a month or two with my HD500 before I was content with my patches for a full 4-hour 90s cover band set. But I haven't touched the settings again in years because I love it.

Yup, the PC graphic interface is outstanding. It makes programming as simple as anything else out there.

Conversely, trying to build or edit patches on the hardware itself is frustrating to say the least. I've been working with multi-FX units for the length of their existence, and I can say that it is among the least friendly of the bunch in terms of onboard user interface.

It works great with headphones, but it will sound very sterile through them. Using headphones is great for nailing down things like reverb duration and delay repeats. But, not so good at determing final output volume or how the eq in particular will sound through an amp.

Every amp and speaker combo adds its own color to the sound, so it may sound great through some and like garbage through others.

Using the built in amp and cab simulators work best when ran direct to a mixing board and through the mains.

I run mine through various wattage versions of Roland JC's, which are about as transparent of an amp as you'll ever find (at least until you activate the chorus effect), so I can actually take full advantage of the amp sims and cabinet sims while still using a proper amp.

It sounds pretty freaking incredible.

Good excuse to final get a JC!

I'm well versed in the M13 and POD farm as well as ancient multi effects boards from the early 90s. Not too worried about learning another interface.

Being able to use this at low volumes and not needing an amp is key right now. If my son catches a glimpse of one of my amps, he's immediately drawn to it. I don't mind him fiddling the knobs but eventually he'll find his way to the tubes in back. That's what I don't want to see happen.

I'm thinking I can hide a guitar and this board under the couch and drag it out when he's not around. And dinking around with settings should keep me distracted for a few months.

Will do some more research on this. If anyone can share some good demo links I'd appreciate it!

I obviously need to try the computer interface, it sounds like. I'll try that this weekend. Sounds like it'll change my outlook.

And now I'm gassing for a JC.

Reactions: OGG
Back