Anyone have experience with Agile?

Deep breath.

1. I have absolutely NO connection to "balsa and spit" and etc. In fact, I suspect I may not like the dude's politics, but I digress. Just saying: no horse in this race.

2. I'm hoping to be part of "the guitar crowd." A significant part of me is "part of the cheap guitar crowd." I am enthusiastic as all get-out about this; please be forewarned. My heels are dug in on the belief that "each guitar shall be considered individually, on it's own merits."

3. I have an Agile Valkyrie. Pic attached. I also have a Gibson SG special faded (e.g., cheapie Gibson) that's pretty darn nice, and have been around a great many guitars. It's a nice guitar. Stainless frets, ceramic pups that give a really nice dirty growl, surprisingly functional electronics and hardware. Specifically, I found the overall quality significantly higher than the Epiphone SGs I looked at, both in terms of assembly and constituent pieces. I've got around 25 guitars; I still play it fairly regularly, and it competes for attention with vintage US Fenders, Reverends, etc. The Valkyrie is as-nice as the Special Faded (which, in and of itself, is a 'nice' iteration of a Special, most of which I have not cared for). I've recorded a couple songs with the Valkyrie over others - it has a certain tone, and it also is so comfortable that I've written some good tunes on it as it's easy to carry around the house whilst noodling.

4. I prefer to avoid saying "for the price," because for me guitar ownership comes down to a simple question: do I want to play it? I've fallen in love with expensive guitars (and please, let's never discuss my nose-against-glass feelings about the '62 Strat I was permitted to fondle once at Mr. Music ....), but I cannot play a thousand dollar bill. See: #2 above. In certain ways, I enjoy a $200 guitar exactly the same way I enjoy a $2,500 guitar: by playing it, or not wanting to play it.

5. Counterpoint: even as a connoisseur of "reasonably priced, 'less-than-cool' Asian guitars," I still have a suspicion about two things directly related to OP's GAS:
a) mail order of cheapies. At this end of the market, I firmly believe one must either play the actual guitar (given the variance in QC) and/or commit to a lengthy back/forth exchange process if necessary. And ...
b) That the very lowest end of any model line, from Daisy Rock to Jay Turser to Squier to ESP to whatever, has a grand chance of being total crap. Just utter crap. Aimed at the "put it under the tree on the 24th, then in the dumpster on Valentine's" crowd.

I've lusted for an AL2000 after visiting the website. Talked myself through the extensive set up and mods I'd do .... and then had the thought: "Why would I do that when I could drop another $150 and have a 3000?" And then I realized "For $350, I can find a used guitar that's much better, or buy an incredible boutique pedal."

As a practical matter, I'd leap if you really want that body shape, and I'd leap at a higher model. If I were buying online, I'd buy an Agile over an Epi.

Attachments

• Geetar 006.jpg
    Geetar 006.jpg
    538.1 KB · Views: 19
I've lusted for an AL2000 after visiting the website. Talked myself through the extensive set up and mods I'd do .... and then had the thought: "Why would I do that when I could drop another $150 and have a 3000?" And then I realized "For $350, I can find a used guitar that's much better, or buy an incredible boutique pedal."

As a practical matter, I'd leap if you really want that body shape, and I'd leap at a higher model. If I were buying online, I'd buy an Agile over an Epi.

They don't currently have anything over the Al-2000 offered in a wide neck. I'd assume it's because they are getting to the bottom of their stock because I know I have seen them on the website in the past. Some of the upgrades on the AL-3000 were things I don't really care about. I don't like the bound headstock, I don't care about alnico 5 pickups because I'm gonna pull them out and replace all the electronics anyhow, and I don't think the 3/4 inch maple cap makes a damn bit of difference in the sound. Also I'd had no dealings with R-ondo so I didn't want to plop down 350 with the potential for disaster and hellfire from the wife. I could swing $225 and considered it a reasonable risk vs. reward.

I can't speak for every Agile but this thing is pretty nice. My crappy cell phone pic doesn't do the flame justice. The top is damn near perfectly matched. It was set up perfectly out of the box, and I don't even completely hate the ceramic humbuckers it came with (they are coming out eventually they just aren't complete ass). Might just be the honeymoon phase but I haven't wanted to pick up my Jazzmaster or Strat since I got this thing. I'm legitimately enjoying it.

Can't help with the wife; my relationship began with the understanding that the guitar(acquisitions)s and cats are fixed in the household, whereas everything else can stay or leave. God bless the Ms. Hedonia; just two nights ago she said "I miss guitar shopping with you." She also firmly agrees that tweed amplifiers are appropriate living room decor.

Get you on not caring about some of the upgrades; my reasoning was based on a personal observation that often, general QC improves once they put a few more 'items' on cheap Asian guitars. Ergo, it increases the probability of "getting a good one."

Didn't realize you'd already bought it - glad you're enjoying! I'm right with you on the ceramic pups; I had thought I'd immediately rip them out of the Valkyrie, and 10 years on have yet to do so. There's something creamy about them without being overly dark that I like, and apparently like yourself I have a ton of bright Fenders so ....

I'm sort of tired of Agile threads turning into idiotic pissing matches. It'd be really nice to discuss them absent the silliness.

Moar pix?

I used to have a 3100. It was a nice guitar with lots of cosmetic goodies like binding, ebony board, flamed top etc. and the playability was very good. I was thinking of going with upgraded bridge and pickups which I think would have been worth doing but then I decided to give to my Son in Law instead.

I own one of the original AS-820s which are 335 copies. It's a really good Korean made guitar with just OK hardware. I put Seth Lovers in it and it sounds great.

AS-820body1_zpsd1281fdb.jpg
AS-820headstock.jpg

Back