Anyone else watching "The Roosevelt's"?

jelloman

Couch'd Tater...
The new Ken Burns' doc on PBS this week?

After the first episode last night I have come to the conclusion that I would not have liked Teddy very much...

I recorded it. Saving it for a serious binge-watch session.

I've read Edmund Morris's 3-part bio of Teddy, so I think I'd be surprised to learn anything new from Burns.

I watched a little when the game got boring. I'm mixed on Teddy. He did some great things, yet he really raped the American Indians with his policies.
I'll watch some of it tonight.

After the first episode last night I have come to the conclusion that I would not have liked Teddy very much...

Just curious-why not? I know nothing about him other than he was in the Rough Riders.

I enjoyed it, although as always with a Burns' doc I'm left wondering where his agenda has skewed the truth. As usual, there's no way to check the sources.

Yeah, TR believed in American Exceptionalism and loved war, but he was hardly alone in that mindset.

Just curious-why not? I know nothing about him other than he was in the Rough Riders.
He was a guy who saw everything in extremes, black and white, right or wrong, for me or against me...there was very little compromise or negotiation...I try to be open to other points of view, I don't tend to get along with people who can't...

He was a guy who saw everything in extremes, black and white, right or wrong, for me or against me...there was very little compromise or negotiation...I try to be open to other points of view, I don't tend to get along with people who can't...

So it's your way or the highway, huh? :grin:
(said with complete humor intended) wave0

I have it on the dvr and will watch them later in the week. When I was a kid I remember reading a Classics Illustrated Comic about his life.
9781620280867_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

see....i came away with the opposite feeling.....greatest Prez we've ever had.......did the right thing.....took on NYPD corruption and later (tonight) took on JD Rockerfeller to stop monopolies in oil......gotta like him for taking on the bad guys.....also created the national park system, which we would, today, have none of because the developers would have built it all over.

I mean, I think the next Roosevelt is the best one, but Teddy had the balls and swagger of an asshole while at least having some decorum of a gentleman.

Let me take a moment to plug a good podcast: The Thomas Jefferson Hour.

Clay Jenkinson was a hired expert on the Roosevelt documentary. Does some talking in the film to too, I believe. He's the creator of the above podcast. Great stuff.

Back