Anyone else share my love of tiny old European cars?

Discussion in 'Cars!' started by huskerdude, Jan 10, 2010.

Jan 10, 2010
  1. huskerdude Not Rocket Appliances

I think this is about the coolest looking thing on Earth:
    [​IMG]
    Most people (especially car guys) just tend to roll their eyes when I start going on about Fiats and Citroëns, but come on, how can you deny this?
    [​IMG]

2. Jan 11, 2010
  3. Steverino black sheep

I always thought the Citroëns were cool. Way back when I was a bodyman and worked as an apprentice to a guy in Columbia, SC who was well known in the area. His specialty was older foreign cars and I got my education stripping them to bare metal and refinishing them. I completely restored a '53 Bentley, a '62 Jag E type (still my favourite) a '61 Austin Healey amongst others. We also restored domestic cars, but I always loved working on the older mostly Bristish cars. We actually had a toolset for these cars called "Imperial" I think... not SAE or Metric. I spent months on that Jag. :cool:

4. Jan 11, 2010
  5. Mark Wein :mad:

Not English but I almost bought this last summer to restore:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would have looked like a Shriner driving it but it looked like a cool project I could take on myself and just be able to drive around town in.

I don't know very much about European cars...

6. Jan 11, 2010
  7. Steverino black sheep

I was part of a team that restored a Rambler back in college. Those things are cool as hell.

8. Jan 11, 2010
  9. Phil513 n00b

I do have a soft spot for those little european jobbies. Actually all micros, i'd love to have a nice example of an old Honda 600.

If i won the lottery i'd have a BMW Isetta in my garage. :aok:

10. Jan 11, 2010
  11. huskerdude Not Rocket Appliances

I couple of years ago I was this close to buying an old "new class" BMW 2002:
    [​IMG]
    I figured San Francisco probably wasn't the best place to learn to drive stick, however, especially on a 35 year old clutch. :weebz:

12. Jan 11, 2010
  13. Phil513 n00b

Yeah, hill starting can be tough learning with a stick, although if you use the ebrake technique its not so bad.

I'd love an old 2002 Tii. :aok:

Here is an Isetta. So cool. :aok:

[​IMG]

14. Jan 11, 2010
  15. huskerdude Not Rocket Appliances

That is too awesome. And people complain about Smart cars being too little. :)

16. Jan 11, 2010
  17. Phil513 n00b

Check out the entry/egress. :aok:

I have long thought that having one of these just for trips to the grocery and stuff would be awesome.

[​IMG]

18. Jan 11, 2010
  19. Mrs.P The Wonder Wench

Those are pretty awesome.

I learned to drive stick in San Fran and Monterey. It wasn't so bad.

20. Jan 11, 2010
  21. tgk03 Ain't it crazy?

Those are very cool.

I've always dug these:

[​IMG]

22. Jan 11, 2010
  23. huskerdude Not Rocket Appliances

I can definitely see myself cruising around the Côte d'Azur or Amalfi in one of these:
    [​IMG]
    smoking like a chimney with a beautiful Italian woman on my arm. :D

24. Jan 12, 2010
  25. Denverdave Resident Ragamuffin

The first car I owned was a funky little European car. It was an MG Authi - the Spanish import name for the MG-S 1300.

[​IMG]

26. Jan 12, 2010
  27. Phil513 n00b

Extremely cool! :aok:

28. Jan 12, 2010
  29. The guy that lives across the street from work has one of these, yellow and white... Nash Metropolitan.

[​IMG]

I myself had a 72 Triumph Spitfire way back when.

and this little gem for a while.

[​IMG]