Anyone else share my love of tiny old European cars?

Discussion in 'Cars!' started by huskerdude, Jan 10, 2010.

Jan 10, 2010
  1. huskerdude Not Rocket Appliances

I think this is about the coolest looking thing on Earth:
    Most people (especially car guys) just tend to roll their eyes when I start going on about Fiats and Citroëns, but come on, how can you deny this?
  2. Jan 11, 2010
  3. Steverino black sheep

I always thought the Citroëns were cool. Way back when I was a bodyman and worked as an apprentice to a guy in Columbia, SC who was well known in the area. His specialty was older foreign cars and I got my education stripping them to bare metal and refinishing them. I completely restored a '53 Bentley, a '62 Jag E type (still my favourite) a '61 Austin Healey amongst others. We also restored domestic cars, but I always loved working on the older mostly Bristish cars. We actually had a toolset for these cars called "Imperial" I think... not SAE or Metric. I spent months on that Jag. :cool:
  4. Jan 11, 2010
  5. Mark Wein :mad:

Not English but I almost bought this last summer to restore:

I would have looked like a Shriner driving it but it looked like a cool project I could take on myself and just be able to drive around town in.

I don't know very much about European cars...
  6. Jan 11, 2010
  7. Steverino black sheep

I was part of a team that restored a Rambler back in college. Those things are cool as hell.
  8. Jan 11, 2010
  9. Phil513 n00b

I do have a soft spot for those little european jobbies. Actually all micros, i'd love to have a nice example of an old Honda 600.

If i won the lottery i'd have a BMW Isetta in my garage. :aok:
  10. Jan 11, 2010
  11. huskerdude Not Rocket Appliances

I couple of years ago I was this close to buying an old "new class" BMW 2002:
    I figured San Francisco probably wasn't the best place to learn to drive stick, however, especially on a 35 year old clutch. :weebz:
  12. Jan 11, 2010
  13. Phil513 n00b

Yeah, hill starting can be tough learning with a stick, although if you use the ebrake technique its not so bad.

I'd love an old 2002 Tii. :aok:

Here is an Isetta. So cool. :aok:

14. Jan 11, 2010
  15. huskerdude Not Rocket Appliances

That is too awesome. And people complain about Smart cars being too little. :)
  16. Jan 11, 2010
  17. Phil513 n00b

Check out the entry/egress. :aok:

I have long thought that having one of these just for trips to the grocery and stuff would be awesome.

18. Jan 11, 2010
  19. Mrs.P The Wonder Wench

Those are pretty awesome.

I learned to drive stick in San Fran and Monterey. It wasn't so bad.
  20. Jan 11, 2010
  21. tgk03 Ain't it crazy?

Those are very cool.

I've always dug these:

22. Jan 11, 2010
  23. huskerdude Not Rocket Appliances

I can definitely see myself cruising around the Côte d'Azur or Amalfi in one of these:
    smoking like a chimney with a beautiful Italian woman on my arm. :D
  24. Jan 12, 2010
  25. Denverdave Resident Ragamuffin

The first car I owned was a funky little European car. It was an MG Authi - the Spanish import name for the MG-S 1300.

26. Jan 12, 2010
  27. Phil513 n00b

Extremely cool! :aok:
  28. Jan 12, 2010
  29. The guy that lives across the street from work has one of these, yellow and white... Nash Metropolitan.

I myself had a 72 Triumph Spitfire way back when.

and this little gem for a while.